Cafe Select Coffee Card

VegasVic14

1 hour ago, VegasVic14 said:

For example, ordering the basic Cafe Mocha (nothing extra added), how many punches? 

How the card is handled can vary so much, past experience may not mean much. Wait to buy on board and decide if it makes sense financially depending on the answer you get form that barista.

• Like 1

Why would there be more than one punch [for regular size]? Anyway, what I wanted to mention, is that I asked one of the Barista's on the Mariner last week [aug 31 or so], would they honor any leftover punches from other cruises we've done?  He said no problem; that they would.  At least one RCI ship would not honor past unpunched card [we think it was the Allure or was it the Jewel...can't remember well].   Might help someone to know this. Might help justify the cost if one can use the card up over more than one cruise.

• Like 1

I just booked an Alaskan cruise & this is the first I've known of Cafe Select Coffee card.  Is it a one time charge of $31? Do you get 15 cups of different coffees for this one price or does it just give you 50% off the regular prices?  It's not very clear on RCI website.  I'm more apt to drink coffee on cold days in Alaska vs hot days in the Caribbean!

4 hours ago, endoellen said:

Is it a one time charge of $31?

Do you get 15 cups of different coffees for this one price or does it just give you 50% off the regular prices? 

Yes + 18% grats.

How many drinks you get for the 15 punches depends on the kind of drink, the barista and the ship's rules, that's why you should wait till on board and ask before buying. It is one of the very few things that is the same price in the planner as on board.

"Indulge in your favorite brews any time of day with a card that entitles you to any 15 specialty espresso-based coffees throughout your vacation, all for one low price."  We read that a one punch per any coffee.  The one time we bought the card, my wife ordered a large coffee, and they punched it twice.  We brought this up with them, and after a long back and forth, the gave us a new card with only one punch in it.  We have never purchased the card since.  Not worth the aggravation. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Yes + 18% grats.

How many drinks you get for the 15 punches depends on the kind of drink, the barista and the ship's rules, that's why you should wait till on board and ask before buying. It is one of the very few things that is the same price in the planner as on board.

Thanks for your reply.  I'll most likely wait until we board to find out details for our ship rules!  I'm sure there is a catch to it.  The cruise line is always out to make a profit & it sounds too good to be true!

23 minutes ago, endoellen said:

I'm sure there is a catch to it. 

The catch is that RCI advertises the single punch on the card as being able to be used on ANY drink, but the ship/barista may have a different definition of any and you don't find out about it until you start ordering drinks.

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1

Bought one on Navigator in February and used half of the punches. Used the rest 2 weeks ago on Ovation. When on Navigator we had conflicting answers as to using it on another cruise / different ship. Guest Services said “No” and cafe workers said yes. We didn’t have any problem on Ovation. They put your name and cabin number on the back - I just crossed off cabin and put new one when on Ovation. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Yes + 18% grats.

That doesn't really work, as who do you ask? There will always be different people working, and multiple places you can get a coffee.

You be nice, have a dollar bill in your hand for a tip, one punch:)

(but I already paid a tip) $.36 a punch:)

6 hours ago, Poolguyaz said:

That doesn't really work, as who do you ask?

Most folks tend to go to one place to get their coffee and in most cases the same baristas will be working in that location during the typical purchase period. It is unlikely the punches used will be different in different venues on the same ship. Some have had luck “negotiating” with staff further up the chain to get any drink for one punch as the advertising suggests.