How is the bidding system doing? Any comments?

Bwana Tom

26 minutes ago, Jim and Monika said:

We haven't sail Princess in many years and are booked for 2025. When bidding, is it for a particular room or just a category upgrade? Real question is do you know the room number you are bidding on?

We've only done the bid a few times.  If eligible to bid, you should get an email or you can log into Princess, go to My Account then Manage This Booking.  From there scroll down and you click on the Princess Upgrade box.  It will show you what you are eligible to bid on.  You cannot bid on a particular room, just a catagory.  In our case, we booked a regular balcony and our choices were Premium Balcony, Mini Suite or Club Class/Reserve Mini Suite.  You won't know if you have won the bid until closer to the crusie.  Ours was at about 30 days and we got the Premium Balcony but we also have been notified that we did'nt win while already on the cruise. 

When I bid, I just went on the website to see what rooms were available in the catagories I bid on and made my decision to bid based on if the lowest room in the catagory would be good for us.  You don't get to pick the room, it is assigned when they approve the bid.  I've read that some were able to change after winning by calling and asking to change to another room in the same category if some were available.  I've not done this so I don't know if this will always work.

There are time frames involved and I don't know what they are but 2025 seems too far in advance to bid.  There are many who have done this much more that us and can correct me if I'm wrong or left anything out.

Bidding becomes available based upon length of cruise but if I remember correctly it's somewhere around 75 days or so prior to the average cruise length. I'm sure someone has the information posted here somewhere. But but you are definitely a year too soon for a 2025 cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim and Monika said:

We haven't sail Princess in many years and are booked for 2025. When bidding, is it for a particular room or just a category upgrade? Real question is do you know the room number you are bidding on?

Nope, could be any cabin in the category you bid on. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Musky Ike said:

Nope, could be any cabin in the category you bid on. 

And there is where the problem can be with bidding.  You must be happy with every single room within the category you are bidding on.  We will make bids on the premium cabins on the Grand/Crown class ships because regardless of where they put us, it would be fine.  But now, if you have a BD cabin on the Caribe deck, you might be placed in the cabin next door and pay for that privilege.  
For the most part, I don’t bid .. but a few times, I’ve taken the chance.  

• Like 3

On 11/30/2023 at 9:04 AM, marden1970 said:

I'm rather confused by the whole thing.  We are booked into a midship full suite for our cruise in a few weeks.  All suites have been showing sold out for a while.  I've gotten 2 emails in the last 2 weeks asking if we wanted to bid on an aft facing suite or the owner's suite. We usually do an aft facing but with my husbands mobility issues I changed us up to midship by the elevators.  What would we be bidding on if all suites are showing sold out?

Their opportunity to get the most money on rooms. 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim and Monika said:

You do not know the room number.  I currently have a bid in for a Reserve Class Mini-Suite on the Sky Princess in January.  If I win the bid, our new cabin will be assigned and my cc will be charged.  No going back.  At least that’s the way I understand it.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jim and Monika said:

The bidding is for a category and no you do not know the cabin number until you win the bid.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jim and Monika said:

You will bid on a category upgrade and will have no idea what room you might be assigned.   This is a great option for people who don't care where they land on the ship.  Not so much for people who have specific needs in where their cabin location is.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Noble724 said:

Just had success on upgrade bid, Regal sailing 28 Jan.  Complimentary upgrade from Balcony Gty to Deluxe Balcony,  then low bid accepted on Deluxe Balcony to Mini Suite.  This time, we had a good outcome.

Congratulations!!!

image.png.9285afb2ee0e1802c636bd7152768d66.png

• Like 1

Almost forgot to post here. 

CB 17 December 2023 -  Upgrade from Balcony to MS $100 PP - Counter Offer to Premium Balcony $80 PP.  We did not take it due to position of Premium Balcony. 

Had a fabulous Balcony B510.  

Cheers

• Like 1

On 12/29/2023 at 10:16 AM, GonzoWCS said:

Almost forgot to post here. 

CB 17 December 2023 -  Upgrade from Balcony to MS $100 PP - Counter Offer to Premium Balcony $80 PP.  We did not take it due to position of Premium Balcony. 

Had a fabulous Balcony B510.  

Cheers

Quick question.....I thought on the Bid to Upgrade program that you bid and if they accept the bid your credit card is automatically charged. You indicate being able to make a counter offer for a Premium Balcony -- which wasn't part of your initial bid from Balcony to a Mini Suite. How does that work in the Bid to Upgrade program?  Thanks for whatever information you can share on this.

Cheers! Happy New Years!

tmp.gif

30 minutes ago, HiCCCs said:

Quick question.....I thought on the Bid to Upgrade program that you bid and if they accept the bid your credit card is automatically charged. You indicate being able to make a counter offer for a Premium Balcony -- which wasn't part of your initial bid from Balcony to a Mini Suite. How does that work in the Bid to Upgrade program?  Thanks for whatever information you can share on this.

Cheers! Happy New Years!

tmp.gif

I could be wrong but I think Princess comes back with a counter offer. It's not something you can generate. Correct me if my understanding is incorrect 

3 hours ago, HiCCCs said:

Cheers! Happy New Years!

In this case there was a link (button) if We wanted to accept the offer.  If we did nothing then the counter offer expired.  Hope this helps.

Cheers

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GonzoWCS said:

In this case there was a link (button) if We wanted to accept the offer.  If we did nothing then the counter offer expired.  Hope this helps.

Cheers

It's news that I either hadn't understood or haven't come across. Other posts mentioned something similar....I thought they were talking about "special offers" that were coming from their travel agent or Princess. What was throwing me was that a "third party" is running the "Bid to Upgrade" program....and I thought that meant Princess was completely out of the equation. So, I wonder how Princess decides who gets a counter offer and who doesn't.

52 minutes ago, HiCCCs said:

It's news that I either hadn't understood or haven't come across. Other posts mentioned something similar....I thought they were talking about "special offers" that were coming from their travel agent or Princess. What was throwing me was that a "third party" is running the "Bid to Upgrade" program....and I thought that meant Princess was completely out of the equation. So, I wonder how Princess decides who gets a counter offer and who doesn't.

Probably the system programming. Baes upon whatever parameters they have given it. 

• Like 1

I was all caught up in the bidding until I realized that what they were requesting

as a "winning" bid was more than it would cost me to upgrade to a mini suite, so I did that, got to choose my cabin, and I don't have to worry that I will end up in a bad spot.  Wish I had thought of that earlier!! 😂

Edited by Pittypatbr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Bid 30th Oct on a 22 Jan 7-night GP cruise - balcony (BB) to deluxe balcony (B4). I bid A$82 (x2, solo), min was A$55. Got acceptance today. Interesting location, right on aft corner, so might be a bit of movement, right next to a full suite. Also bid on mini suite and mini suite Club, obviously not accepted.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MelbTone said:

Bid 30th Oct on a 22 Jan 7-night GP cruise - balcony (BB) to deluxe balcony (B4). I bid A$82 (x2, solo), min was A$55. Got acceptance today. Interesting location, right on aft corner, so might be a bit of movement, right next to a full suite. Also bid on mini suite and mini suite Club, obviously not accepted.

If you are going to be in a B4, corner aft, you have a great balcony. Congrats!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SKCruiser007 said:

If you are going to be in a B4, corner aft, you have a great balcony. Congrats!

Congratulations to you.  I love the AFT balconies, and having a corner is an extra bonus.  The balconies are larger and the wake is mesmerizing.  Enjoy!!!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, happiness is cruising said:

??? Anyone been accepted for a BID..on Sky Princess 20 January sailing..ship shows..FULLY BOOKED!!

Not on the Sky but the Caribbean on the 21st, it was showing sold out above oceanview and bid for a mini-suite from a BD balcony.  Didn't expect anything but we got a mini-suite and we are on for14 days booked as a 14 day.

• Like 3