Wine Limits

Dizziedi

Does anyone have an idea of what "reasonable amount" means in respect to bringing wine on board.  We are quite happy to pay the corkage and bring our own wine on board (actually prefer it) but not sure just what their idea of "reasonable amount" is.

Also does HAL allow you to bring a bottle of wine on at each or any Port - corkage to be paid?  Or are you only permitted to bring it on at the embarkation port.

Cheers

Di

I don't know the answer to "reasonable amount" -- certainly a bottle per day of cruise must be OK?

As far as port stops: 

"Wine purchased during company-sponsored shore excursions that visit local wineries are exempt from the on-board corkage fee (offer limited to one bottle of wine per person)."

"You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, to Holland America Line, which will be delivered to your stateroom just prior to disembarking the voyage."

So no, unless bought on a ship's tour, then one per person.

ETA: this policy was effective June 1st, 2021, so people's experience pre-lock-down may not be valid.

Edited by crystalspin

18 minutes ago, OmarOak said:

I've brought as many as 12 bottles on board at embarkation. No problems though the "wine desk person" usually seems to think it is odd.

I have bought bottles in port and brought them on as well.

Thank you.

19 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I don't know the answer to "reasonable amount" -- certainly a bottle per day of cruise must be OK?

As far as port stops: 

"Wine purchased during company-sponsored shore excursions that visit local wineries are exempt from the on-board corkage fee (offer limited to one bottle of wine per person)."

"You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, to Holland America Line, which will be delivered to your stateroom just prior to disembarking the voyage."

So no, unless bought on a ship's tour, then one per person.

ETA: this policy was effective June 1st, 2021, so people's experience pre-lock-down may not be valid.

Thanks - I did read that.  It does actually say "duty free".  I wouldn't be buying duty free.  Maybe I will buy a bottle in the first Port and see what happens.

Cheers

Di

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dizziedi said:

Thanks - I did read that.  It does actually say "duty free".  I wouldn't be buying duty free.  Maybe I will buy a bottle in the first Port and see what happens.

Cheers

Di

Currently on Rotterdam.  On coming back on board after port calls, security are separating pax from their bottles and telling them that they will be returned at end of cruise.  No option of paying corkage.  But this was 'eavesdropping' and I do not know if the bottle was wine or spirits/liquor.