Formal nights on Carnival - how formal?

Caracarn2

As someone prior said it is a free for all. Anything goes. Yes it is everyone’s vacation and their right to do what they want - but maybe it is time to pull up your big boy underwear, put on a pair Pfizer pants , a collared shirt - and maybe a pair of close toed shirts.

and ladies if you are offended so be it - there is a tshirt hat is hugely popular in Italy this year - written in Italian of course so most North Americans won’t clue in.

There are three things that don’t lie - children, drunks, and stretch pants.

Edited by RD64
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, BarbieGee said:

It's been a very long time since I sailed on RCL so I don't know if the quality is still there. Not having yet sailed on CCL and can't make the comparison to NCL. But having stayed in a JS on NCL their suites look a bit roomier then what I've seen on CC in pictures and videos.
CIMG0126.thumb.JPG.15ee5e994ba6ab334676bd15b3a1b81d.JPG

CIMG0118.JPG

CIMG0117.JPG

The color scheme of the above room is awful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/11/2022 at 12:45 PM, Theosprey247 said:

It’s your cruise dress up as much (or as little) as you want. 

This is what we saw on our last cruise.

Some hairy disgusting guy, sat at the table next to us wearing one of those Right Said Fred mesh t-shirts from the 90's.

I didn't make it to desert.

But glad he got to dress as he wanted on Formal night. (I can'ty imagine ***** that fool wore on non-formal nights when we luckily weren't sitting near him.)

• Like 1

Just off the Panorama last week.

From what we saw on the one "formal" night we attended, it was a mixed bag.

Some people really dressed up in suits and the equivalent women's wear, some in casual slacks with a nice button up shirt and some with a polo. Again, with the women's equivalent.

In my opinion, and it is worth exactly what you paid for it, dressing up for food and service that can be had at most mid level chain restaurants is ridiculous.

Now, I don't mean to derail this thread, but My Biggest Grip was that the quality of the food and service in no way matched the "MDR" Dining experience of years gone by. Maybe this is because we choose anytime dinning instead of a set time but that would only account for the service. No excuse for poor quality food that isn't even served hot in the "MDR". 

Yes, they offer "fancy" items not found at Applebee's for example (Frogs Legs or Escargot) but if you can't do them well, don't.

Just my thoughts on Formal Night in the MDR...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DnD CruiserZ said:

Just off the Panorama last week.

From what we saw on the one "formal" night we attended, it was a mixed bag.

Some people really dressed up in suits and the equivalent women's wear, some in casual slacks with a nice button up shirt and some with a polo. Again, with the women's equivalent.

In my opinion, and it is worth exactly what you paid for it, dressing up for food and service that can be had at most mid level chain restaurants is ridiculous.

Now, I don't mean to derail this thread, but My Biggest Grip was that the quality of the food and service in no way matched the "MDR" Dining experience of years gone by. Maybe this is because we choose anytime dinning instead of a set time but that would only account for the service. No excuse for poor quality food that isn't even served hot in the "MDR". 

Yes, they offer "fancy" items not found at Applebee's for example (Frogs Legs or Escargot) but if you can't do them well, don't.

Just my thoughts on Formal Night in the MDR...

I like dressing up to take pics. I am getting older and want to document my youth while I still can. lol

But I agree with the declining food/service on CCL. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 10:22 AM, ledges1 said:

I have seen adults eating in the MDR with baseball caps. It should not be acceptable on any night. However, this is what you get on Carnival. It will not improve. You have to be taught and practice proper etiquette at home.

Seriously?  This is what you get on Carnival?  

I'm not a Carnival cheerleader but let's be real here.  Many, many men wear baseball caps EVERYWHERE they are dining.  My husband and I always make comments how often we see this no matter the type of restaurant. 

Edited by hapytobehr

31 minutes ago, hapytobehr said:

Seriously?  This is what you get on Carnival?  

I'm not a Carnival cheerleader but let's be real here.  Many, many men wear baseball caps EVERYWHERE they are dining.  My husband and I always make comments how often we see this no matter the type of restaurant. 

I always, always wear my cap regardless of where I am. If people don't like it, they don't have to look at me. 🤷‍♂️

We went to formal night on our February cruise. We brought dresses and did our hair. We went to the dining room and there was hardly anybody in there, so we only really dealt with the staff. We ate mediocre prime rib, the worst fruit plate I’ve ever seen in my life (1/4 of a strawberry!) and were out of there in under an hour. Went back to the room and changed into comfy clothes for the evening. There was zero point to us making any effort and I don’t get it. 

Point is, do what you want. Nobody is gonna notice.

Edited by Crismess669
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Crismess669 said:

We went to formal night on our February cruise. We brought dresses and did our hair. We went to the dining room and there was hardly anybody in there, so we only really dealt with the staff. We ate mediocre prime rib, the worst fruit plate I’ve ever seen in my life (1/4 of a strawberry!) and were out of there in under an hour. Went back to the room and changed into comfy clothes for the evening. There was zero point to us making any effort and I don’t get it. 

Point is, do what you want. Nobody is gonna notice.

Yes, good point. But perhaps your cruise of this past February was not well visited because it was still within the pandemic period? I suspect that cruises now are fuller and more participation will ensue. You do make a point of 'do what you want' and that would include the level of dress. I am just hoping that I wont see people showing up in bathrobes, swim suits, ball caps, or shorts and tank tops at a nice dinner venue.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

OK reviving this thread as we are now within two weeks and getting ready to pack.

My question now is should we assume on Carnival that pants are expected at dinner time?  I still thought we'd need to wear khakis or at least jeans but my wife had been planning on shorts and thought that with no formal nights that what it meant, however I have heard that you still are expected to wear long pants for the dinner service.   I know some above said people did show up in shorts but just trying to understand not what we can get away with but what is normal and then we can decide from there.   I was just going to bring a pair of khakis for me to change into every night but my wife would rather not have to change during the day if possible and it also messes up he packing if she has to suddenly change the whole wardrobe.  So a bit of stress and drama here as she's now convinced she'll hate the experience as she thought no formal mean we could be in shorts and tee shirts all day.

46 minutes ago, Caracarn2 said:

OK reviving this thread as we are now within two weeks and getting ready to pack.

My question now is should we assume on Carnival that pants are expected at dinner time?  I still thought we'd need to wear khakis or at least jeans but my wife had been planning on shorts and thought that with no formal nights that what it meant, however I have heard that you still are expected to wear long pants for the dinner service.   I know some above said people did show up in shorts but just trying to understand not what we can get away with but what is normal and then we can decide from there.   I was just going to bring a pair of khakis for me to change into every night but my wife would rather not have to change during the day if possible and it also messes up he packing if she has to suddenly change the whole wardrobe.  So a bit of stress and drama here as she's now convinced she'll hate the experience as she thought no formal mean we could be in shorts and tee shirts all day.

You can wear whatever you want - they don't really care. It's whatever you are comfortable with.

3 hours ago, Caracarn2 said:

I only wear long pants if we are dining in the MDR on elegant nights. The rest of the week it's shorts and golf shirt.

In my experience, they seem to be more lenient regarding women's attire than men's. Having said that, the Carnival website states

MDR attire 

• Not permitted: cut-off jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Elegant night attire

• Not permitted: jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire 

People will argue that they have seen any or all the the not permitted attire in the dining rooms. I would suggest your wife wear what she wants but be prepared to be turned away if she is wearing something not permitted. Can either change or eat at the buffet. 

All she would have to do is pack one little dress, a sundress even or skirt/skort that could be easily slipped on come meal time. Sure might save a whole lot of angst. 

• Like 1

I have never seen any dress code enforced on Carnival. I have sat next to people in  men wife beaters and women with bathing suits. Nobody cares and the truth is it’s not worth them fighting with you. Wear what you like from a birthday suit to tuxedo! 

3 hours ago, MonaCD said:

In my experience, they seem to be more lenient regarding women's attire than men's. Having said that, the Carnival website states

MDR attire 

• Not permitted: cut-off jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Elegant night attire

• Not permitted: jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire 

People will argue that they have seen any or all the the not permitted attire in the dining rooms. I would suggest your wife wear what she wants but be prepared to be turned away if she is wearing something not permitted. Can either change or eat at the buffet. 

All she would have to do is pack one little dress, a sundress even or skirt/skort that could be easily slipped on come meal time. Sure might save a whole lot of angst. 

Trying to find this.    What I found differs (the biggest one being that in what you posted it seem non-gym shorts are allowed, which is what we typically wear), but this page on the site seems to say even for casual not allowed?   Where on the site did you find your list?

WHAT TO WEAR
During the day, casual clothes are suitable. After 5.30pm, smart casual clothing is required in the public lounges and restaurants or as published in the ships newsletter.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - casual pants, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).
Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - dress trousers, dress shirts. We also suggest a sports jacket. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses. If you'd like to show off your evening gowns that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Important Note: All guests are expected to ensure their clothing and accessories are respectful to fellow guests. Specifically, items worn during the cruise should not contain any message that may be considered offensive or contain nudity, profanity, sexual innuendo/suggestions. In addition, clothing/accessories should not promote negative ethnic or racial commentary, or hatred or violence in any form.

20 minutes ago, Caracarn2 said:

Trying to find this.    What I found differs (the biggest one being that in what you posted it seem non-gym shorts are allowed, which is what we typically wear), but this page on the site seems to say even for casual not allowed?   Where on the site did you find your list?

I copy and pasted it from the FAQ/Help page page, What to Pack & Bring/What to Wear

Guest BasicSailor
27 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

But that's not what they enforce nor what people wear. 🙂

Agree, what's absolutely fascinating in these forums is what people post as an enforced policy. And what actually happens on a Carnival ship.