Newark to Manhattan Cruise Terminal

sueasselstine

We're sailing next Friday out of Manhattan, and flying into Newark from Toronto at 9:30am that morning. Wondering if anyone has some recent experience and can let us know how long it'll take to get through customs and baggage claim at the airport. I want to pre-book a taxi but many of them charge extra if you're late for your pick up time. Unfortunately, Norwegian isn't offering a transfer that morning otherwise we'd just do that. Thank you!!!

34 minutes ago, sueasselstine said:

We're sailing next Friday out of Manhattan, and flying into Newark from Toronto at 9:30am that morning. Wondering if anyone has some recent experience and can let us know how long it'll take to get through customs and baggage claim at the airport.

It shouldn't take a long time at that time but no one is going to be able to give you an exact number and there are other factors too like if your flight runs on time. 

There is no need to prebook a car from Newark-- just use Uber or Lyft when you get curbside and the pickup will be prompt. These will be of a much higher quality than a standard taxi (the taxis in New Jersey are pretty crummy). Fare will be about $60 to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, sueasselstine said:

We're sailing next Friday out of Manhattan, and flying into Newark from Toronto at 9:30am that morning. Wondering if anyone has some recent experience and can let us know how long it'll take to get through customs and baggage claim at the airport. I want to pre-book a taxi but many of them charge extra if you're late for your pick up time. Unfortunately, Norwegian isn't offering a transfer that morning otherwise we'd just do that. Thank you!!!

If you're flying from Pearson direct to EWR, you would be going through US Customs before departure, not after arrival in Newark. Not sure why you'd want to pre-book a taxi at EWR, there should be a ton of them sitting waiting for you at the nearest taxi stand on the Arrivals level.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sueasselstine said:

To reaffirm what the other posters have said, you'll be pre clearing customs and immigration in Toronto and I also recommend Uber or Lyft . No pre booking necessary.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I also recommend Uber or Lyft [from Newark Airport to Manhattan].

What the advantages and disadvantages of requesting an Uber or Lyft pick-up, compared to using a city taxi waiting at the taxi stand, when going from Newark Airport to Manhattan?

52 minutes ago, GTJ said:

What the advantages and disadvantages of requesting an Uber or Lyft pick-up, compared to using a city taxi waiting at the taxi stand, when going from Newark Airport to Manhattan?

For one, quality of the vehicle. New Jersey taxis tend to be much older, worn, and rattier than their NYC counterparts. Much less regulation on NJ taxis. Uber/Lyft regulate the quality of their cars much better. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

For one, quality of the vehicle. New Jersey taxis tend to be much older, worn, and rattier than their NYC counterparts. Much less regulation on NJ taxis. Uber/Lyft regulate the quality of their cars much better. 

You beat me to the punch. I was about to say exactly what you did. 

• Like 2

Thank you so much, everyone! People in my roll call thread were telling me to pre-book, and it got me all worked up LOL!! Lyft/Uber makes a lot of sense, especially if it will be close to $60 like @princeton123211 says...I got a quote from Carmel Limo for about $100, but that included tolls/tips, and it was for 4 people including luggage. Regardless, I think I'll be a lot less anxious takin a Lyft VS stressing about late fees with a pre-booked transfer. Thanks again everyone!!!!

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 5:31 PM, princeton123211 said:

That is interesting because municipalities often justify their regulation on the ground that they are needed to ensure safety and quality service because transportation providers would not provide safe and good quality service if they were not regulated by the government!

How does cost compare between city taxis and Uber or Lyft? How does responsiveness compare (i.e., the amount of time it takes from when first wanting transportation to the time boarding that transportation)?

3 hours ago, GTJ said:

That is interesting because municipalities often justify their regulation on the ground that they are needed to ensure safety and quality service because transportation providers would not provide safe and good quality service if they were not regulated by the government!

Companies like Uber and Lyft have basically outmaneuvered most small/midsize municipalities in terms of legislation. Really only large cities have the resources to go toe to toe with them and challenge practices. That being said their own standards are a lot higher in most cases than taxis in places other than very large, well regulated cities so they do bring a higher quality product to market than existed with previous taxies there. New Jersey is a good example of this. 

3 hours ago, GTJ said:

How does cost compare between city taxis and Uber or Lyft?

Often times they undercut local taxies in terms of cost in some markets but overall they are pretty close. Like we said above-- the difference tends to be a higher quality car with Uber/Lyft for essentially the same price as a local taxi. 

3 hours ago, GTJ said:

How does responsiveness compare (i.e., the amount of time it takes from when first wanting transportation to the time boarding that transportation)?

Much better in most cases than a local taxi. First off I don't have to call a phone number and talk to a person which is a huge improvement. The technology through the app allows me to see where the car is and how far away it is at all times. I also know how much I am going to pay immediately when I click to call for the car. 

This can vary in more rural areas but for the most part in a well populated place Uber/Lyft is faster and more efficient for pick up. It's not a coincidence that Uber/Lyft has at very least heavily disrupted traditional taxi markets in a lot of places and at most completely displaced them. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Companies like Uber and Lyft have basically outmaneuvered most small/midsize municipalities in terms of legislation. Really only large cities have the resources to go toe to toe with them and challenge practices.

It is a fascinating dynamic, both legally and politically. I read one scholarly paper on the subject suggesting that Uber's plan was to create dependence on its (superior) service, and by doing so the electorate would compel the regulators, politically, to acquiesce to Uber's operating plan, notwithstanding a contrary regulatory structure. Nonetheless, the Pennsylvania PUC imposed its largest fine ever on Uber because of the company's failure to adhere to the commonwealth's regulation of brokers. Another related fascinating aspect is whether TNCs ought to be considered carriers or brokers, given the degree that they exercise control over the drivers they engage.

18 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Much better in most cases than a local taxi. First off I don't have to call a phone number and talk to a person which is a huge improvement. The technology through the app allows me to see where the car is and how far away it is at all times. I also know how much I am going to pay immediately when I click to call for the car.

I had in mind the trip between the airport in Newark and midtown Manhattan. Airports generally have taxi stands where there is (or should be) a queue of taxis waiting and ready-to-go, no pre-arangement required. Is that not more responsive than having to make arrangements with Uber or Lyft? Is the taxi queue at the airport in Newark reliable? More generally, Uber and Lyft require waiting for one specific vehicle, while taxi service allows users to hail any vehicle. Perhaps there is not a single answer for responsiveness, and it depends on where one is located?

I rarely use taxis, Uber or Lyft, averaging one trip every few years (taxis, Uber, and Lyft are generally more expensive and less comfortable than bus travel, so I eschew such transportation when possible). So I don't have much of the practical experience in making comparisons among the choices. I have higher expectations of taxis, because they are common carriers with the legal duties associated therewith, their fares are supposed to be fair and not subject to whim (e.g., "surge" pricing), and there is no prerequisite of having a smartphone. Yet, by having an effectively exclusive franchise, many taxi service providers becamse lax, and allowed Uber to provide a better quality service. Thus, I find it to be of interest how different people react to each type of service, if only because I do not have sufficient personal experience.

19 hours ago, GTJ said:

It is a fascinating dynamic, both legally and politically. I read one scholarly paper on the subject suggesting that Uber's plan was to create dependence on its (superior) service, and by doing so the electorate would compel the regulators, politically, to acquiesce to Uber's operating plan, notwithstanding a contrary regulatory structure. Nonetheless, the Pennsylvania PUC imposed its largest fine ever on Uber because of the company's failure to adhere to the commonwealth's regulation of brokers. Another related fascinating aspect is whether TNCs ought to be considered carriers or brokers, given the degree that they exercise control over the drivers they engage.

I had in mind the trip between the airport in Newark and midtown Manhattan. Airports generally have taxi stands where there is (or should be) a queue of taxis waiting and ready-to-go, no pre-arangement required. Is that not more responsive than having to make arrangements with Uber or Lyft? Is the taxi queue at the airport in Newark reliable? More generally, Uber and Lyft require waiting for one specific vehicle, while taxi service allows users to hail any vehicle. Perhaps there is not a single answer for responsiveness, and it depends on where one is located?

I rarely use taxis, Uber or Lyft, averaging one trip every few years (taxis, Uber, and Lyft are generally more expensive and less comfortable than bus travel, so I eschew such transportation when possible). So I don't have much of the practical experience in making comparisons among the choices. I have higher expectations of taxis, because they are common carriers with the legal duties associated therewith, their fares are supposed to be fair and not subject to whim (e.g., "surge" pricing), and there is no prerequisite of having a smartphone. Yet, by having an effectively exclusive franchise, many taxi service providers becamse lax, and allowed Uber to provide a better quality service. Thus, I find it to be of interest how different people react to each type of service, if only because I do not have sufficient personal experience.

Even before Uber/Lyft, Newark airport taxi’s left a lot to be desired, especially before gps. At busy times there could be long lines, and there were frequent language barriers. We are only 20 minutes away without traffic so could usually bum a ride from a family member.

• Like 1