Vancouver University of BC recommendation

Mary229

Having been to Vancouver numerous times we were looking for something different.  We headed from downtown to the university by Uber US$18, 20 minutes.   We stopped at the visitor center and grabbed a campus map.  There are an abundance of museums some small some grand, some with fees, some free. Ask when you pay as they probably offer a combination ticket discount.   There is a small geology museum, grand biodiversity museum, an art gallery and of course the well known Museum of Anthropology.  There are probably others tucked away.  There are also gardens and nature trails, including access to the beaches.  The beaches do require a descent of 160 steps (according to my step counter) and of course a 160 step ascent but we managed.  The small Japanese garden is very peaceful.  We did not ask about all of the incidentals but there is a tea house and perhaps there is tea served on occasion. At the end of campus there is a botanical garden.  In our limited time we could only spend 2 hours and only had time for half of the garden. I want to give a shout out for the Tree Walk inside the garden grounds, separate admission.   Having already climbed 160 steps we did not enter but observed the fun others were having.  It is a worthy alternative to the various suspension bridges in the Vancouver area .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Urban trekker said:

Just a precautionary note - at the bottom of those steps/stairs is Vancouver's official CLOTHING OPTIONAL beach - called Wreck Beach and some old gun towers from WWII. 

Dennis

You don’t have to look.  Yes they do say that even at the top of the stairs

Edited by Mary229

Pre\post cruise I would not recommend renting a car..there is very limited parking, especially near the beach and Canada place. They like to ticket and tow rentals, according to the cabbie that brought us to Busters Towing at the city of Vancouver. Busses and cabs are abundant and cheap!

UBC is my alma mater and we got married at the botanical garden.  

I quite enjoy the campus.  We go there a couple of times a year to go for a walk and see what's new on campus as there's a lot of ongoing development and changes.   

It's probably not my first recommendation for a first time visitor to Vancouver but as mentioned above, it's a good B-option for repeat visitors that like to walk and explore.  A nice tag on if you have wheels (or add an Uber stop) is Spanish Banks which has a great view of downtown Vancouver and the north shore.  

The missus went to SFU on top of Burnaby Mountain which has a more compact campus but I find it can be a bit of a maze.  Some great views of the city in the small park just off campus but it's probably more of a D-list option LOL.