Retreat suite levels

ChefSha

14 hours ago, wineoclock said:

That’s outrageous. However when we were in Connie PH there was a large family group PH & 2 RS & we ended up sharing our butler with them. We didn’t complain but it did affect how our butler was. 

I agree that behavior of this type is outrageous and unwarranted.  It only takes one set of obnoxious guests to upset one individual, like a butler, trying to do his or her job.  I have generally found that regular RS and PH cruisers are very aware of how hard the Butler and all the staff work to make their guests' vacations truly wonderful, and try to make it easier for them. Occasionally when I hear about this type of behavior (like a complaint about "how slow the butler was this morning"  in the elevator), the thought that crosses my mind is "did you stretch yourself too far financially to pay for a RS or PH and now you are stressed and taking it out on staff?"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The specialty dinning options including the Retreat restaurant…..all I can see on my app is that I need to pay on my credit card if I try to book them.  And the Blu isn’t even an option.   We are in the Royal Suite in the Eclipse.   Any suggestions?   When we stay in the Haven on NCL, right on my reservation page, I can make all my dinning reservations.  Maybe I’m doing it wrong….🤣

thanks! 

44 minutes ago, Kwilson51 said:

The specialty dinning options including the Retreat restaurant…..all I can see on my app is that I need to pay on my credit card if I try to book them.  And the Blu isn’t even an option.   We are in the Royal Suite in the Eclipse.   Any suggestions?   When we stay in the Haven on NCL, right on my reservation page, I can make all my dinning reservations.  Maybe I’m doing it wrong….🤣

thanks! 

All the speciallities are included and to be honest on our last cruise in an RS we didn't eat in Luminae more than  once. You can't book in advance other than trough the shore side concierge but in real terms it dosen't matter as when in an upper suite you can almost just turn up and they will make space. 

We usually sort the firstst night and any Murano meals with the shore side then just go to the Maitre de hotel , who's ussally athe Murano desk on the first night and book the rest. We've only ever once had a booking refused and that was for Murano on a chic night which we just had to be flexeible on and eat at 8.30 rather than 7.30.

They do keep slots aside for top suites/VIPs

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kwilson51 said:

thanks! 

Luminae is not specialty dining.  It's actually your assigned dining room (since you are in the Retreat).  No reservations are required (nor are they typically taken).

Blu is the assigned dining room for Aqua passengers.  While suite passengers can dine in Blu, it needs to be arranged once on board, and it's subject to availability.  If you are on a Millennium or Solstice class ship, you can order from the Blu menu while dining in Luminae.

Yes, the only way to book specialty dining before boarding and without having to pay is through the Shoreside Concierge who will contact you roughly two weeks before sailing (via email, phone, or both).

• Like 4

3 hours ago, groryjm said:

All the speciallities are included and to be honest on our last cruise in an RS we didn't eat in Luminae more than  once. You can't book in advance other than trough the shore side concierge but in real terms it dosen't matter as when in an upper suite you can almost just turn up and they will make space. 

We usually sort the firstst night and any Murano meals with the shore side then just go to the Maitre de hotel , who's ussally athe Murano desk on the first night and book the rest. We've only ever once had a booking refused and that was for Murano on a chic night which we just had to be flexeible on and eat at 8.30 rather than 7.30.

We have been told the same thing...that time slots & tables are set aside for what Corporate calls "Upper Suites" (RS & PH).

• Like 1

We were in RS on Equinox in April.  We wanted to make reservations at Murano and Tuscan (at least 3 days in advance) And our butler came back and told us only available openings were very late.  We were disappointed that they would not honor the times we wanted (at least within an hour).  We did not have a good butler and have been treated better in a SS.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kwilson51 said:

thanks! 

I agree with grorjm.  It was never a problem for me when we stayed in an upper suite--they'll bend over backwards to accommodate you (including last minute changes).  But if you're worried, you can call the shoreside concierge (877-RETREAT) and press 3 to speak to a concierge and then (if memory serves) press 2 for a CS or above.  Although the quality varies, most shoreside concierges can make the booking for you without you having to do it online and then get refunded.  Personally--and this is truly a 1%er problem--it's annoying that they cannot handle this online without charging your card....it's a bit silly, but it is what it is.  Once you're onboard you can change it all as you see fit, but you may feel better knowing that you at least have something in hand.

p.s.--have your reservation number handy when you call the Retreat number.

• Like 2

In my personal opinion, Corporate removing Murano (or its equivalent) and substituting restaurants like Le Petit Chef significantly reduced the elegance of  the X dining on M-class.  We dined in Le Petit Chef exactly once, found the food far worse than any time we've eaten in OV and will never go back.

4 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

We were in RS on Equinox in April.  We wanted to make reservations at Murano and Tuscan (at least 3 days in advance) And our butler came back and told us only available openings were very late.  We were disappointed that they would not honor the times we wanted (at least within an hour).  We did not have a good butler and have been treated better in a SS.  

We were never turned away when we wanted speciality dining - any time we wanted. We were in PH x2

• Like 3

We always pre book a draft for speciality restaurants with the shoreside concierge. We are quite picky about our preferred seating and timing…

We book Tuscan early on days when we can peruse our menu as the ropes are coming off, enjoy our starters as the port drifts into the distance and by the time we are on desserts and coffee day has turned to night. Quite magical!

Murano we enjoy on sea days when we will have definitely had a lazy day and are fresh enough to enjoy a longer meal

Other restaurants we fit in around this…

Once on board we may change the odd time or venue if something else comes up but we know the restaurants appreciate pre booking as they then do not need to ‘juggle’ to fit suite guests in on a busy service. The bonus we get from pre booking is we invariably get our favourite spot and sometimes the M’D will offer to do something special for us next visit. For example, in Murano I mentioned that I loved Steak Diane and it was prepared for me next visit. In Tuscan we discussed things we missed from the ‘old’ menu and they offered to make us a mushroom ravioli starter when we returned.

I seem to be saying this on a lot of posts recently but it all depends on what suits you and is important to you. Totally understand that deciding where to eat last minute is a choice some like but not us…

Just as an extra point we always give our butler a copy of the email to the concierge which lists the restaurants and times and ask him to check the full list has been forwarded. On one occasion only the first booking had been made…

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

But if you're worried, you can call the shoreside concierge (877-RETREAT) and press 3 to speak to a concierge and then (if memory serves) press 2 for a CS or above.  Although the quality varies, most shoreside concierges can make the booking for you without you having to do it online and then get refunded.

They can't make the reservation for you right then.  They can only pass your request along to the ship and then get back in touch with a confirmation.  Still, it's the good way to do it if it's too early to have heard from the shoreside concierge.

Just FYI for anyone, if there is anything you need or any questions you have for a cruise where you are staying in a higher suite, call that number above and speak to the shoreside concierge.  Don't just call the regular number.  That goes even if you are calling to book a higher suite or upgrade to one.  It also includes refaring requests.  Just call them.

That's not me trying to advocate and end-around.  That's the advice I got from a shoreside concierge, and I've followed it ever since.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, wineoclock said:

What a good idea to give a copy to your butler. I’ll make sure to do that as well. 

Edit: thank you for the suggestion. 

We started doing this back in 2014 when we boarded and found none of our requests had gone through to the ship. Our poor butler had to quickly note brands of beers, spirits, pillows….before he even got around to our dining requests. Since then we have always taken a copy for the butler as a check list. We also take our own itinerary sheet to remind us where we are dining too! 

• Like 4

Thanks ALL for the info.  I am trying to decide where to eat when.  Does anyone know do they still have what use to be called "Captain's Night"?  I would think it would be one of the Sea Days.  I will try to email my concierge.  Maybe he will know the schedule.  

I did hear back from him yesterday and he told me just what you all were saying, send then my requests and they will make our reservations.  He did say that to reserve BLU, I need to speak with the Maitre D at our main dinning room, Luminae, once on board....

I would love to hear your suggestions and review on the specialty dinning venues.  I know everyone has a different liking but it is always nice to know what others think.   thanks so much.  You have all been so helpful!

• Like 1

It does depend on your cruise length but usually first sea day and next to last night in our experience are ‘chic nights’ with another fitted in on longer cruises.

On the Eclipse your speciality dining venues are..

Murano, Tuscan Grill, Le Petite Chef and Sushi on Five.

I would describe as follows…Personal opinion, others may view differently…

Murano, classic menu, excellent service with some table side preparation that adds a touch of drama to your meal. Service is designed to be relaxed so the meal takes a while. We always book on sea days or days we have had a relaxing rather than busy excursion. You want to arrive fresh and enjoy everything from the amuse bouchée to the liqueur and coffee. Definitely the place for a special occasion.

Tuscan Grill, think steak and pasta venue with a nice ambiance and a great wake view. We book it on nights when we are leaving a port and can watch day turn to night…You do feel you are in a nice restaurant and service again is usually excellent. Steak quality for us has varied. Never awful and needing returning but on cruises out of the US definitely better than cruises out of Europe. Perhaps suppliers?

Le Petite Chef is fun not fine dining. We giggled the first time and did enjoy the novelty but second time it wasn’t the same…we probably will not do it again. Sort of one of those experiences to try once.

Sushi has a lot more than sushi, we tend to dine there more at lunch than in the evenings but pleasant in the evenings too. Once or twice I have ordered things there and received something unexpected so ask the waiter if you are unsure about the menu items. It is a la carte, you will not be charged for anything.

Whilst I know it is the speciality restaurants you are asking about don’t forget the buffet and room service! If you have had a busy day, included speciality dining or not, there is nothing like a graze in the buffet…putting together a plate of bits and pieces you would never combine at home. Upper suites have decent tables inside and on the balcony. Sometimes it is nice to just order room service and enjoy your suite…

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 2

Has anayone eaten in the BLU restaurant?  My understanding is that you can only book it with the M'D when you get on board.  Is this strictly a Retreat venue?  Fancy? Lunch/Dinner?  I do not see it listed on the web site under dinning.....just wondering if anyone has any insight.....

Have a GREAT Day!

2 minutes ago, Kwilson51 said:

Has anayone eaten in the BLU restaurant?  My understanding is that you can only book it with the M'D when you get on board.  Is this strictly a Retreat venue?  Fancy? Lunch/Dinner?  I do not see it listed on the web site under dinning.....just wondering if anyone has any insight.....

Have a GREAT Day!

Blu is the assigned restaurant for Aqua class.  Suite guests may dine there on a space-available basis.

1 hour ago, Kwilson51 said:

Oh, I see....so BLU is like their main dinning area?  

Yes, Blu is for Aqua, the named restaurant for suite guests is Luminae. Lots of reviews and pictures of the menu, worth doing a search. You can dine there every breakfast, lunch on boarding and sea days plus every evening, no reservations required.

If you wish to try Blu they will do their best to accommodate you but you need to be mindful of those whose restaurant it is. If you are willing to dine early or late they are more likely to be able to fit you in. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, chemmo said:

It does depend on your cruise length but usually first sea day and next to last night in our experience are ‘chic nights’ with another fitted in on longer cruises.

On the Eclipse your speciality dining venues are..

Murano, Tuscan Grill, Le Petite Chef and Sushi on Five.

I would describe as follows…Personal opinion, others may view differently…

Murano, classic menu, excellent service with some table side preparation that adds a touch of drama to your meal. Service is designed to be relaxed so the meal takes a while. We always book on sea days or days we have had a relaxing rather than busy excursion. You want to arrive fresh and enjoy everything from the amuse bouchée to the liqueur and coffee. Definitely the place for a special occasion.

Tuscan Grill, think steak and pasta venue with a nice ambiance and a great wake view. We book it on nights when we are leaving a port and can watch day turn to night…You do feel you are in a nice restaurant and service again is usually excellent. Steak quality for us has varied. Never awful and needing returning but on cruises out of the US definitely better than cruises out of Europe. Perhaps suppliers?

Le Petite Chef is fun not fine dining. We giggled the first time and did enjoy the novelty but second time it wasn’t the same…we probably will not do it again. Sort of one of those experiences to try once.

Sushi has a lot more than sushi, we tend to dine there more at lunch than in the evenings but pleasant in the evenings too. Once or twice I have ordered things there and received something unexpected so ask the waiter if you are unsure about the menu items. It is a la carte, you will not be charged for anything.

Whilst I know it is the speciality restaurants you are asking about don’t forget the buffet and room service! If you have had a busy day, included speciality dining or not, there is nothing like a graze in the buffet…putting together a plate of bits and pieces you would never combine at home. Upper suites have decent tables inside and on the balcony. Sometimes it is nice to just order room service and enjoy your suite…

Thanks Chemmo for a more detailed summary of the dining venues than I have the patience to write!!   But your experience mirrors ours.

On 9/20/2022 at 4:23 PM, groryjm said:

We’re staying in a RS on APEX. Are we able to make reservations for a time in Luminae or do we just show up when we want to eat? This ‘anytime’ dining has be confused? 

is it best to make reservations for the other restaurants ahead of time, new cruiser here.