Ship Excursion/Alternative

Ekelley8804

Hi all,

We are trying to decide what we will do in Grand Cayman on a port stop from 10-6PM with three late teen, early 20's. We aren't interested in the Stingray City excursions. I did post this on Celebrity forum since we’ll be arriving on Celebrity Summit I figured I would ask here as well. We've never booked an excursion through the ship before so we're not quite sure what to expect. I see two options that may interest us and was wondering if anyone had participated in either/both and what your experiences were. One is called Grand Cayman Snorkel, says it is 2 hours, and it starts at 1PM, says you visit two snorkel sites, you'll be at the first one for 45 minutes then you go off to the second. This one sounds a little more difficult for the less able bodied, according to description, which shouldn't be an issue for us. The second one we were looking at is called George Town Two-Stop Shipwreck Snorkel. Says its off the West Coast of Grand Cayman and you snorkel a famous shipwreck and then "glide over a tropical reef." This one sounds a tad bit easier for the less able bodied, according to description. Any experiences or suggestions welcome! 

I have been snorkeling for years.  If you notice the shipwreck picture, the person is diving down.  Unless you do this, you probably won't see the fish close up.  They would too far away for my liking.  We are booked on the Original Stingray City Show and reef snorkel through Celebrity.  It says it is not in shallow water, but you may see rays below you.  We don't want that stingray circus with 100 people either.  

Edited by Dancing Shoes

• 2 months later...

When you exit the tender dock, turn right, walk 2 minutes.  Rent snorkel gear (if you don’t bring your own).  Enter the water and be amazed.  Ask the dive shop to point out where the good snorkeling is.

Some of the best snorkeling anywhere!

https://edenrockdivingcenter.com/

https://www.thingstodocayman.net/eden-rock-snorkeling/

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with doing a snorkel at Eden Rock - spend your money on a good quality snorkel mask that you can use everywhere, if you don't have one already.  You can rent the rest if you like.

Or get the public bus up north to the bar Macabuca - you can snorkel off there and see a load of different interesting things.  It's not a bad spot to chill either....

• Like 1