Getting private tour at port?

wednesday

We will be in Grand Cayman in Oct and I haven't been there since 2007 so I don't really remember much about the port area.  I am hoping to do a private tour that includes at least the caves and the distillery but online prices seem a bit steep.  Does anyone know if there are drivers/guides waiting on the ship at the port to offer tours?  Does anyone have suggestions for an affordable tour company?

Thanks!

You are better off trying to arrange something in advance.  There may or may not be cars available at the port, depending on your arrival time and how many ships are in port.  There are lots of recommendations in other threads in this forum.

FYI, the caves are nowhere near the rum distillery.  The caves are about a 40 min drive each way from the port.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bookbabe said:

You are better off trying to arrange something in advance.  There may or may not be cars available at the port, depending on your arrival time and how many ships are in port.  There are lots of recommendations in other threads in this forum.

FYI, the caves are nowhere near the rum distillery.  The caves are about a 40 min drive each way from the port.

Yeah, I realize that the caves are a drive, it's why I have just two things on my to do list.  Last time we were there we did an island tour so just looking to hit a few things. I was really hoping to  find a driver in port, I am 99% sure that is what we did last time but it's been a while..... . I did see the other companies mentioned, so far none have really seemed to be what I am looking for or affordable as a private tour.

3 hours ago, bookbabe said:

Why not just rent a car and DIY?  Might give you more flexibility and likely cheaper.

I contacted the Cayman Safari folks and asked if they have availability and if their tours get back in time for us to get a cab to the distillery after..  We shall see what they say. 

• Like 2

On 9/17/2022 at 9:30 PM, wednesday said:

I contacted the Cayman Safari folks and asked if they have availability and if their tours get back in time for us to get a cab to the distillery after..  We shall see what they say. 

wednesday, did you happen to hear back from them? I also reached out a few days ago, to book a tour via their website and haven't gotten any response. 

TIA, Patty 

4 hours ago, cw2go said:

wednesday, did you happen to hear back from them? I also reached out a few days ago, to book a tour via their website and haven't gotten any response. 

TIA, Patty 

Yes he did get back to me and told me that tours were unavailable on my date (mid-Oct) because they  were "awaiting the servicing of their vehicles which was taking longer than expected"  They directed me to CayTours and I booked with them.  They don't appear to have the cool Range Rovers, only mini-busses and the prices are about the same.  I am  paying way more than I want to at $150 per person but they were able to get me a tour to the caves and the distillery.  

He may not be answering because I believe they are expected to be impacted by TS Ian (according to NOAA they will possibly be experiencing hurricane conditions by Mon,) I know this because it is headed for us here in FL next so I've been watching it.

Edited by wednesday
Adding info
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, wednesday said:

Yes he did get back to me and told me that tours were unavailable on my date (mid-Oct) because they  were "awaiting the servicing of their vehicles which was taking longer than expected"  They directed me to CayTours and I booked with them.  They don't appear to have the cool Range Rovers, only mini-busses and the prices are about the same.  I am  paying way more than I want to at $150 per person but they were able to get me a tour to the caves and the distillery.  

He may not be answering because I believe they are expected to be impacted by TS Ian (according to NOAA they will possibly be experiencing hurricane conditions by Mon,) I know this because it is headed for us here in FL next so I've been watching it.

Thanks for the info!!! My plans are for Feb so hopefully I'll get to ride in the open air Range Rovers, they look fun. 

Edited by cw2go