Booking directly through Windstar or with a Travel Agent

Hawaiian Mama

Aloha, I booked a cruise with Windstar for Oct 2022. I called a travel agent about trip insurance and now they would like to take over the booking while giving me some perks (one being 1/2 the cost of insurance then others have quoted me). I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not to transfer my booking as I've never cruised before. If you would be so kind as to advise me it would be appreciated. I've about 2 hours before I need to make payment in full. THANK YOU for any help you can provide!!

I would go with the travel agent for a perk like that.  A good travel agent is a huge asset, especially if things go wrong on the trip – they have a better phone/internet connection than you do and they have access to different departments at the vendors.  If they also share some of their commission with you, it's even better!

Then I begin to doubt that this is one I would count as a 'good' TA.  We buy a policy from Allianz called 'Journey' through our TA – it's only sold through TAs, and costs 10-12% of the trip cost but has great coverage and the three times we have made claims [one for the entire amount!] they have paid quickly.  You have up to 14 days from final payment to still get the 'pre-existing conditions' waiver.  We keep the cost down by only insuring the cost of the cruise itself – since airlines have waived change fees, we don't feel a need to insure that part of the trip, or the (refundable) hotel costs.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We buy a policy from Allianz called 'Journey' through our TA – it's only sold through TAs, and costs 10-12% of the trip cost but has great coverage and the three times we have made claims [one for the entire amount!] they have paid quickly.  

My TA convinced me to buy similar coverage from Allianz. I had the same positive experience when I presented a claim in late May. Due to a false positive PCR Covid test result, we canceled just over 24 hours before our flight to begin a Windstar Norway cruise. Allianz paid promptly. I bought the same coverage for our next two trips.