Tipping the butler and concierge in the Haven

Holly g

13 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Tip who you want to tip, tip them when you want to tip them, tip them however much you want to tip them.  Thee is no right, wrong, or suggested amount or method of tipping.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#what-about-gratuities

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 20% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 20% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 20% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.

End of discussion.

If one uses the services of the concierge or butler, then one should tip when sailing in the Haven as it is an expected part of their wage. NCL provides them little enough of a salary, so if we're privileged enough to sail in the Haven, then we ought to tip those employees as well. And, I don't mean a $100 per day tip, just whatever you feel is appropriate. We tip the butler/concierge between $50 and $100 per sailing. I'm sure some commenters will say this is not nearly enough, while others will say it's way too much. Oh well, at least this gives you a bit of guidance on what a fellow Havener is doing. Use it, ignore it, disagree...any option is fine. 

For anyone else on the ship, I agree completely with you! 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

standing service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 20% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon

You forgot to showcase this part. Concierge & butler are NOT part of DSC. If your in Haven then you have access to these services. 

On 9/21/2022 at 11:16 AM, cruiseny4life said:

If one uses the services of the concierge or butler, then one should tip when sailing in the Haven as it is an expected part of their wage. NCL provides them little enough of a salary, so if we're privileged enough to sail in the Haven, then we ought to tip those employees as well. And, I don't mean a $100 per day tip, just whatever you feel is appropriate. We tip the butler/concierge between $50 and $100 per sailing. I'm sure some commenters will say this is not nearly enough, while others will say it's way too much. Oh well, at least this gives you a bit of guidance on what a fellow Havener is doing. Use it, ignore it, disagree...any option is fine. 

For anyone else on the ship, I agree completely with you! 

I’ve seen some crazy tip amounts (like tipping that equals or exceeds the fare of the cruise).  I’m not that.  But, I do bring a lot of Grants and Franklins with me, as well as even more George Washingtons for bar wait staff.

Then, you have the “I’m already charged for tips…no one’s getting anything more”.

LIke you, I’m probably right in the middle of those two extremes.  You give me good service, you get good tip.

• Like 1