Dining times

Guest moe46

I just booked my first cruise on MSC and I am confused regarding dining. My reservation is for early seating. I was told when booking 5:30-7:30. Does that mean I dine anytime between that time or I need to be seated at 5:30?

Last month was my first MSC cruise and when I booked I was also told those times so I assumed I would pick the time.

Turns out when you board and get your sail card it lists your time, it is assigned for you.

I tried once onboard 3 times to get it changed with no success so I had to eat at 5:15 which I didn't like at all. I was also originally assigned a table for 6 which I was able to change to a table for 2 after the 3 times also.

7 hours ago, moe46 said:

I just booked my first cruise on MSC and I am confused regarding dining. My reservation is for early seating. I was told when booking 5:30-7:30. Does that mean I dine anytime between that time or I need to be seated at 5:30?

You need to be seated at 5:30, actually 5:45 with the 15 minutes grace period. 

It also depends on the ship and region.

For example, on Seaside and Meraviglia class ships there are three sittings - something like 1730, 1930 and 2130.  On Fantasia class ships there are just two sittings - something like 1900 and 2100.  

I think European sailings have later dinner timings than in the Caribbean , as many passengers are used to eating later.  

Annoyingly even though MSC added the third dinner sitting they still only allow the option to request early or late seating.  

9 hours ago, moe46 said:

It's fixed dining times so you need to be seated at 5.30. Or at least by 5.45, when the dining room doors are closed. 

30 minutes ago, tbmrt said:

I don't understand the third dinner sitting....Does this have to be requested day of boarding?

Yes.  If you don't like the assigned time see the maitre'd on the first day and see if it can be changed.

30 minutes ago, tbmrt said:

I don't understand the third dinner sitting....Does this have to be requested day of boarding?

'd'

If you are not in the YC, you do not get to choose your dining time. The dining time is assigned to your ship card. You will be seated with other strangers/cruisers. If you do not like the time/the table assigned to you, you can try to request to change it by seeing the maitre'd.

6 minutes ago, poohdreaming said:

If you are not in the YC, you do not get to choose your dining time.

Aurea Experience has “My Choice Dining” in dedicated restaurant or area.

Bella and Fantastica Experiences have fixed dining times.

• Like 1

No, Bella and Fantastica have set dining times, which can be early or late, or early, middle, late.  Late, when we were aboard, was something like 9:30, for the European passengers who expect that.

Aurea and YC have flexible (anytime) dining, usually in a different dining room.

• Like 1