Fantastica - caution '1 free cruise change'

whattodo

My reservation is for Fantastica which includes '1 free cruise change' and other benefits. I made a change one week before final payment in August. I'm now in penalty period, I called to add my daughter and asked about using the 1 free change for current promotion of balcony upgrade with OBC. The rep said I already used the '1 free cruise change' in August therefore I can't change promo. I reminded him the change I made was before final payment. He said that counts toward '1 free cruise change' and I already used it. What?! If I had known that was the case or if the rep had told me, I would have cancelled the booking (before final payment) since deposit was refundable and then book a new one.  Please be aware of this rule. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, whattodo said:

My reservation is for Fantastica which includes '1 free cruise change' and other benefits. I made a change one week before final payment in August. I'm now in penalty period, I called to add my daughter and asked about using the 1 free change for current promotion of balcony upgrade with OBC. The rep said I already used the '1 free cruise change' in August therefore I can't change promo. I reminded him the change I made was before final payment. He said that counts toward '1 free cruise change' and I already used it. What?! If I had known that was the case or if the rep had told me, I would have cancelled the booking (before final payment) since deposit was refundable and then book a new one.  Please be aware of this rule. 

Why should they help you after final payment?

Call again.

Once I had a rep who told me MSC would charge $40 to $60 to make a dining table arrangement request pre-cruise.

With MSC, your BS detector needs to on and set at the highest setting.

Edited by Selion
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, whattodo said:

They are correct if you have the same booking number on the new cruise.

You are correct that should have cancelled it but it comes down to perks and promotions .

What I don't understand is you are not changing the sailing just adding another passenger?

10 hours ago, whattodo said:

Please read the Terms and Conditions section on the MSC website before booking a cruise on MSC.

The MSC representative is correct.

4 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

They are correct if you have the same booking number on the new cruise.

You are correct that should have cancelled it but it comes down to perks and promotions .

What I don't understand is you are not changing the sailing just adding another passenger?

Reread the OP's post that you quoted. You missed something in the OP's request.

They advertise Fantastica allows '1 free cruise change' up to 30 days before sailing. Changes are already free of charge before final payment on refundable deposit  This benefit costs extra. I thought I was paying for the benefit to get 1 change during penalty phase. I think most consumers would interpret it that way. I feel they were wrong to unfairly use my '1 free cruise change' toward a change I made before final payment when I already had the free choice to change whatever I want before final payment. I incurred the fare difference for that change. 

I added my daughter and asked them about changing promo to balcony upgrade with OBC. They said I can add extra person but can't change category or promo because I already used '1 free cruise change'. I had no idea the rep in August used my '1 free cruise change' for something I changed before final payment. If I had known that's their rule, I would have cancelled that booking and start a new one. I read T&C, it does not mention every change counts toward '1 free cruise change' even when it's before final payment.  

5 hours ago, whattodo said:

They advertise Fantastica allows '1 free cruise change' up to 30 days before sailing. Changes are already free of charge before final payment on refundable deposit  This benefit costs extra. I thought I was paying for the benefit to get 1 change during penalty phase. I think most consumers would interpret it that way. I feel they were wrong to unfairly use my '1 free cruise change' toward a change I made before final payment when I already had the free choice to change whatever I want before final payment. I incurred the fare difference for that change. 

I added my daughter and asked them about changing promo to balcony upgrade with OBC. They said I can add extra person but can't change category or promo because I already used '1 free cruise change'. I had no idea the rep in August used my '1 free cruise change' for something I changed before final payment. If I had known that's their rule, I would have cancelled that booking and start a new one. I read T&C, it does not mention every change counts toward '1 free cruise change' even when it's before final payment.  

They don't follow the T&C nor CLIA.

The end result is they will do whatever they want and then give you the option to cancel if it benefits them .

The contract is so heavy in their favor you are screwed no matter what.

Even if they would lose a case they would destroy you with attorney fees that are not recoverable as I found out .

Even if you got the balcony promo they could have downgraded you to an inside cabin with no reduction in fare. They have been known to downgrade.