1st timer

tkme2disney

Hello!  

We are thinking of venturing away from disney and trying a cruise.  Our lives don't allow us to plan far in advance.  Everything we do is last minute, including travels.  We have NEVER cruised, do not have passports and are not vaccinated.  How realistic is it to try to cruise next month on a short 4/5 night Caribbean cruise?  This would just be my husband and myself.  The kids would stay home and if all goes well we would opt for another cruise in January VS going back to disney.  Thank you all! 

You're in that spot of time where you might be stuck with the rooms nobody else wanted, but on the plus side, might be able to score some last-minute deals.

Where do you plan on cruising out of? There's a lot of ports to choose from Florida to Texas.

Also, rush passports are a thing (in case you're visiting somewhere that needs it), but some paperwork and whatnot will be required to get it done: U.S. Passports (state.gov)

Edited by PolicromaSol
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, tkme2disney said:

I would prefer to cruise out of port Canaveral.  Only because we are from a small town and it's one of the only places that our nearest airport has non stop and reasonably priced flights.  

Check out the prices for the Independence (4-nighter out of PC) when the next Going, Going, Gone sale starts on Wednesday. There should be some good deals to be had and there are tons of cabins to choose from going by the 10/24 sailing I will be on (despite what was posted above).

Also, if you're OK with the risk, you do not need a passport to sail on a cruise that leaves and returns to the same US port. You can use a DL and official birth certificate. The only real concern would be in the unlikely event you got stuck in the Bahamas, you would have to jump through some hoops to get back to the US. The chances of that, of course, are extremely low.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Thanks 1

Okay, so, just picking a mock booking here, and I'm seeing all kinds of stuff for next month, but it seems most of the suites are sold out.

If you're non-GMO like myself, just avoid anything with Bermuda in it. I'd still try to get a passport, because if you break a leg or something, you'll have to take the boat back. Won't be able to fly home. (That said, if I did break a leg, I guess there are worse places to lay around and veg out than a nice oceanview room or balcony.... 🤣)

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, tkme2disney said:

How realistic is it to try to cruise next month on a short 4/5 night Caribbean cruise?

Welcome to CC.

No issue as long as you have testing lined up for before the cruise and don't mind an inside cabin (usually what's left very late).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tkme2disney said:

Hello!  

We are thinking of venturing away from disney and trying a cruise.  Our lives don't allow us to plan far in advance.  Everything we do is last minute, including travels.  We have NEVER cruised, do not have passports and are not vaccinated.  How realistic is it to try to cruise next month on a short 4/5 night Caribbean cruise?  This would just be my husband and myself.  The kids would stay home and if all goes well we would opt for another cruise in January VS going back to disney.  Thank you all! 

Welcome to Cruise Critic. A last minute short cruise is totally realistic. Take the time to understand the requirements for your cruise. Documentation only requires a certified birth certificate and photo ID (driver's license). Welcome to the world of cruising!

You've received good information already.  I'd like to add some thoughts about things you may not know to expect.  

What's good about your plan: 

- Taking a short cruise first is a good plan because you'll learn whether you personally like it -- everyone here, of course, enjoys cruising, but I do know people who wouldn't be caught dead on a ship.  We did a 4-night first to "test the waters", and we weren't sorry! 

- A cruise has a lot of "moving parts" -- booking, boarding, excursions, etc. -- and you'll learn your way without involving the kids.  

- Once you've cruised, you'll be a member of Crown & Anchor, and that'll qualify you for some discounts for your longer, "real cruise".   

What's bad about your plan /what you can't know yet: 

- Boarding the ship isn't such a great experience.  About 45 days out, you'll need to sign up for a boarding time -- everyone wants the earliest time slot.  The waiting in line, the going through security.  It's tedious, and not everyone is on his or her best behavior.  Then once you're on the ship, your room won't be ready until 1:00-2:00 (the cabin stewards have to turn over ALL the rooms in one day AND get the luggage delivered to your hallway -- I have no idea how they do it), so people are all congregating in the public areas -- with their carry ons.  Those first few hours give you the false impression that the cruise will be packed every minute.  

- Likewise, the last day isn't so great.  As soon as the ship docks, they start pushing you off -- they're all about getting ready for the next cruise, and you'll have the return trip ahead of you.  

- If you're doing a full week, you can deal with the first day being a pain and the last day being so short /rushed.  But if you do 4-5 days, your proportion of fun, relaxing days will be smaller.  This is one reason people do Back-to-Back cruises; it means they only need to embark /disembark once, but they get two weeks of cruising.  

- Knowing this ahead of time and going in with the idea that you're "testing the waters" to see if it's right for a full-fledged family vacation, you'll understand what you're getting into.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury