Free at sea beverage package

pattimow

We have the free at sea beverage package for our upcoming cruise. For me this is fine as I like the occasional beverage, my husband however does not drink. Anyone know of you can request a different (cheaper) beverage package. I know my husband would much prefer the Starbucks package. 

23 minutes ago, pattimow said:

We have the free at sea beverage package for our upcoming cruise. For me this is fine as I like the occasional beverage, my husband however does not drink. Anyone know of you can request a different (cheaper) beverage package. I know my husband would much prefer the Starbucks package. 

Since you only drink the occasional beverage have you considered dropping the alternative beverage package, paying as you go for  your occasional beveage and getting the starbucks for both of  you?

• Like 1

The upfront cost of the Beverage package is $19.80 USD per person, per day.  If you you will not average two alcohol beverages each day, then it probably would be wisest to cancel the package!

The only circumstances (that I have read about) allowing cancelation of one beverage package would be for verifiable MEDICAL reasons.  If you have special circumstances that prevent you from being able to consume alcohol, try contacting the Guest with Special Needs department.

Norwegian is fully committed to providing you and your travel companions with the best cruise experience. Guests requiring special accommodations must fill out the Guest Special Needs Request Form. This form helps us understand your disability and/or special needs requirements to adapt your cruise with personalized accommodations. Once you have submitted the form, Norwegian Cruise Line Access Desk will respond within 72 hours. Feel free to contact our dedicated team of Accessibility Coordinators if you have any question or concerns.

• Phone1.866.584.9756
  • Hours of Operation
    • Mon-Fri: 9:00am-5:30pm ET

You should consider having the free drink package removed and save the $19.80 per person per day charge ($39.60 per day). 

If you drink on average 4 alcoholic drinks per day, most likely it makes sense to keep the "free" package.   If you are inclined to drink only expensive drinks (call liquor or better wines), that number could be as low as 3.  

Cheap beers are $8-9 including the tip.  Cheap wines $9-10.  Alcohol drinks start at $11. Bar menus here, remember to add 20% gratuity: https://profcruise.com/norwegian-bar-menus-2022/

Does your husband drink soda and on average 2 or more sodas per day?  If so and if you remove the drink package you might consider purchasing the soda package for him.  That will cost you $7.95/day.  Remember to factor that $7.95 into your break-even calculation - your break even would fall from about 3-4 drinks per day to 2-3 drinks per day.

• Like 1

Consider booking your cruise at the sail away rate, should be way much more savings! 

Lots of times I see people think Free at Seas is “free”. It is not! Next to paying the additional gratuities, the Free at Seas categories are more expensive then the bare bones sail away rate. 
With the sail away rate you will not be able to choose a specific cabin (guarantee only), but from my past experience, if you are light drinker and don’t need internet, you will save money going with the sail away rate, even paying for the occasional drink, Starbucks and one specialty dining. 

12 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

Check the Freestyle Daily (or, some bar menus) on your cruise for "The Drink of the Day" if you are paying per drink prices. There might be some savings.

I second this, there are some great savings here!

Edited by kasimir
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, kasimir said:

Consider booking your cruise at the sail away rate, should be way much more savings! 

This can be a good idea, if you don't care about the specialty meals, Internet, or excursion discount.  The downside is you don't get to choose your cabin.  That bothers some more than others, but important to put it out there.  You could wind up in a less desirable room within your category (balcony, etc.)

• Like 1

The Sail-Away rate is an excellent idea.  In the thread below I discuss a comparison of Sai-Away vs Free-at-Sea (FAS).  The numbers of course are specific to my situation at the time but might be helpful for you in considering your options.  My FAS option also included the pre-paid DSC which was a special add-on from the TA (not a normal part of FAS).

It might be helpful for your consideration of Sail-Away vs FAS:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2849023-comparing-true-cost-of-cruise-with-perks-and-without/

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PATRLR said:

If so and if you remove the drink package you might consider purchasing the soda package for him.  That will cost you $7.95/day.

Soda package increased to $9.95 pp/pd several months ago. With the 20% gratuity, it's now $11.94 daily, or $83.58 for the week.

• Like 3