Rogueperson's **Live** Adventure of the Seas B2B Bermuda (maybe) and Canada. September 24 - October 8, 2022

Rogueperson

2 minutes ago, marycruz said:

Thanks.  We're on your second cruise.   Test on Tuesday.  Will be tested on board for Bermuda.  No TA yet which we sent 30 days out.

Hopefully you have internet access.  You'll be on the ship when they email it to you more or less and it might be difficult for you to reach out to Bermuda if it doesn't come.

7 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

Hopefully you have internet access.  You'll be on the ship when they email it to you more or less and it might be difficult for you to reach out to Bermuda if it doesn't come.

When we were on the May sailing to Bermuda, reps were onboard to make sure you were approved, as the regs had changed the day before our sailing the test results did not have to be uploaded after our sailing. Mass confusion, but as long as one had submitted an application for the TA, boarding was permitted. Hardly reasonable that one should have to pay for internet access onboard to get these things. On our sailing, it was mainly older folks who did not want/need internet.

5 minutes ago, joyandjerry said:

When we were on the May sailing to Bermuda, reps were onboard to make sure you were approved, as the regs had changed the day before our sailing the test results did not have to be uploaded after our sailing. Mass confusion, but as long as one had submitted an application for the TA, boarding was permitted. Hardly reasonable that one should have to pay for internet access onboard to get these things. On our sailing, it was mainly older folks who did not want/need internet.

@marycruz This is good info.  Thanks

19 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

@Rogueperson has there been any update yet on where you are going on the first leg yet? What day(s) were you suppose to be in Bermuda.

The only update they sent was to arrive an hour later than your scheduled arrival time.  Other than that, nothing else.

We're supposed to be in Bermuda on Monday, so there's time.  Someone posted pictures from Bermuda and *thinks* they'll be up and running by this afternoon, which, sounds unlikely, since i heard 70% of the island is without power.  However, the news from the government sounded like this was no big deal  for them, so we shall see.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

The only update they sent was to arrive an hour later than your scheduled arrival time.  Other than that, nothing else.

We're supposed to be in Bermuda on Monday, so there's time.  Someone posted pictures from Bermuda and *thinks* they'll be up and running by this afternoon, which, sounds unlikely, since i heard 70% of the island is without power.  However, the news from the government sounded like this was no big deal  for them, so we shall see.

IMO, Bermuda is one of the most prepared islands with their building codes, drainage system, etc. 

From what I see on Bermuda electric company website as of 10 am there was approx. 29,540 homes/buildings without power across in various parishes.    

We were in Bermuda a couple years ago as they were preparing for a Hurricane that was going to pass by and the people are so nonchalant about it.    

You should be good to go with your visit to the island for Monday.    Just may have a little bit of bouncy ride to get there.    Enjoy😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rogueperson said:

We should have internet access on board.  Hopefully we'll get it before we leave.  Some folks said they e-mailed or called Bermuda and got the approval right away.  

1 hour ago, joyandjerry said:

Yes the same happened on our May sailing to Bermuda.  Some people were told to board and they would contact them on board.  There were Bermuda reps at the port to help people get the approval but some of them didn't know that.  Not sure why the agents at the port didn't tell them where to go when they didn't have their approvals.   This was when we had to wait for the approval after getting the test 2 days prior.   After our cruise they dropped the requirement to load the test!  Just our luck.   Seems like the same may happen with ArrCanada if things change after 30 Sep.

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

IMO, Bermuda is one of the most prepared islands with their building codes, drainage system, etc. 

From what I see on Bermuda electric company website as of 10 am there was approx. 29,540 homes/buildings without power across in various parishes.    

We were in Bermuda a couple years ago as they were preparing for a Hurricane that was going to pass by and the people are so nonchalant about it.    

You should be good to go with your visit to the island for Monday.    Just may have a little bit of bouncy ride to get there.    Enjoy😃

A friend of mine just came back from Bermuda on Mariner last weekend.  She said the Bermudan's were more blase about hurricanes than Floridians.  (And she is one).  Except they've got the experience and the money to back it up.  I remember when they took a direct hit from Humberto, a Cat 3 and was up and running in 2 days.  When i say direct hit, the eye went over the northern part of the island.  Here, Fiona was a 100 miles off short, so i would say its not as bad as Humberto.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

A friend of mine just came back from Bermuda on Mariner last weekend.  She said the Bermudan's were more blase about hurricanes than Floridians.  (And she is one).  Except they've got the experience and the money to back it up.  I remember when they took a direct hit from Humberto, a Cat 3 and was up and running in 2 days.  When i say direct hit, the eye went over the northern part of the island.  Here, Fiona was a 100 miles off short, so i would say its not as bad as Humberto.

Bon Voyage!  Hope you have a great time.  

So I had a little false start.  Made it about 15

minutes out and realized I forgot my power cord for my laptop.  I had to turn around, get it and then go back out.  30 minute delay.  Fortunately, that delay probably left out some traffic as there was an Orioles game at the stadium which would have made my original travel time a little problematic.  We made it to the restaurant.  We are at Uncle’s Hawaiian Grindz.

Here is menu.

5D39D5A3-110D-4561-B276-5959AAD1863D.thumb.jpeg.a6d007b37c07ce9d8e077c2e56fb0578.jpeg

not too bad so far.  I love this place but its too far to go normally, but pretty much on the way to Newark.

• Like 3

Nothing ever goes quite as planned.  Hoped to get here by 11:30.  Actually got here at 12:30.  In room by 1am.

I’m checked in at the Springhill Suites.  AC4C4C83-B53D-4FE1-9C06-C48B6B7E9491.thumb.jpeg.622569e659f1e246838ec909241ac551.jpeg

30BE249D-C85D-401F-94F9-8AA36BBF87CD.thumb.jpeg.65726a9967296deb8dc873d9ce2285bb.jpeg

Its not bad.  Its comfortable.  No complaints so far. 

Except.

7BD876AD-C44F-44F1-A1A7-93E21E50FF50.thumb.png.dc2ba1f2e65131dc02d13cda0c746ee5.png

These are cruise ship speeds.  I’ve never seen 220 ms ping except on the kinda new O3B networks on the newer Royal Caribbean ships.  Well, 8 mbps is somewhat faster but not much.

A couple of issues.  

As I drove away from the restaurant, I decided to try to save 6 bucks by taking Route 1 into Rising Sun and then cutting back to 95.  Uncle’s Hawaiian Grindz was located right on route 1 so it was already there.  Its a dark ride up.  Pretty creepy.  Anyways, as i sped up past 45mph, i start hearing this vibrating noise coming from somewhere on the passenger side.  It gets louder as i drive but goes away when i slow down.  I pulled off a couple times to find the noise, but it eluded me.  Finally figured it out.  Apparently a piece of the windshield seal was fraying and getting caught in the wind and caused a thumping sound.  For  about 30 minutes, my anxiety is through the roof for fear of a breakdown.  I upkeep my car religiously.  I’ve NEVER had a mechanical breakdown outside of a flat tire.  I took my car to the mechanic two weeks ago and he serviced my car and found no issues.  When i found the seal, i pushed it back in and the problem went away.

I have not been to New jersey since my Anthem cruise in 2016 and i didn’t even drive that time.  @death_star did.  So technically i have not driven in New Jersey since 2009.

Is it me, or does New Jersey drivers have this HUGE gap of drivers who either drive really really fast, or really really slow (like 40mph on a 65mph zone). I’m at 70 mph and i either get smoked by some drivers and smoke

other drivers.  No in between. 

Also Fair Warning for those who are not familiar with the Newark airport area (where many of the closest hotels to the port are) New jersey highways around the airport is a maze.  I have mantra.  Waze is wise.  Most of the time, waze knows better than you what the fastest route is.  This time, waze screwed me.  I took the wrong turn after i left the turnpike to get to the hotel.  Waze notices I made a wrong turn and redirects me. I trust Waze.  Waze takes me BACK on the turnpike (toll) and then takes me ACROSS the Bayonne Bridge (toll) back across the bridge, Back on the turnpike (toll) off the turnpike and back to where i made the wrong turn.  ***** waze?!?!?’. Incidentally, I found the turnoff to Cape Liberty Cruise port.

But I’m here and ready to cruise.

• Like 3

Folks.  We have a new record.  This is door to ship.  Amazing.  We were delayed because i could not pull up my Bermuda authorization immediately.  I was shunted to a guy at a computer who looked it up.  We could have gotten on in less than 9 minutes.  I was too slow and lost my printout at security.

They are doing last minute authorizations if you do not have one.

008E9013-BFD1-4B5D-9AF7-C04676DB3577.thumb.png.01b7d344e2f8f8000347a0aea79e1bb6.png

Also,  WE ARE GOING TO BERMUDA!!!

• Like 5

On 9/21/2022 at 3:00 PM, Rogueperson said:

I think the swells will subside by Monday which is when we dock at Dockyard.  Hopefully.  I have no idea how swells works, so i could be totally off mark here.

On another note, there are hints that NCL Getaway, leaving tomorrow from NYC to Bermuda is going to St. John, however, according to the role call, no one there has gotten any confirmation from NCL themselves about the reroute.  I was just telling @death_star that NCL has to make the decision of go/no go by Thursday morning before Fiona passes Bermuda.  That's a tough call there.  I suspect that NCL is hedging their bets by preparing St. John in case the decision to reroute 

Awesome!!!   Bermuda should be just fine based on everything I have read on Bermuda websites.   The ferry restarted service this morning. Power has been restored to just about everyone, business back to usual on Front St in Hamilton.  

Bon Voyage😀

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

YAY Rogue!!!  Enjoy your cruise.  We'll be joining you on Thursday!!!  Bon Voyage!🛳️

What time is Sail Away?

I think 4:30 according to the guy here at Chops.  I had to ask because @death_star is not here and still on the road.  He’s cutting it close.  

• Like 2

I don’t know how they do the UDP for longer cruises.  It was a chore putting in all the reservations.  I couldn’t do the UDP

more than 5 nights.  I’m so glad i got it for 110/person.  It skyrocketed the week after.

Today’s lunch was Chop.  Only real place for lunch.  I know there’s a Johnny Rockets but I’ve never been a fan even on land.  Their burgers were only so so.

Menu

DC9C37C9-50D3-4A67-8DAC-3BDCB0EF3B05.thumb.jpeg.7435da5782090088e850489b4e080100.jpeg

Beef Carpaccio is always yummy.

77FF7DCD-4819-4064-A39E-E67D82CC21F9.thumb.jpeg.8e9d97c11ad8e0ea986b9fb4a1b37ae8.jpeg

I normally would mot get a burger at Chops but I have the UDP so its ok.  98AB17A1-FDF8-411A-92A7-B8CA68B552A0.thumb.jpeg.4ec3f52ca74774493e30279977126ff3.jpeg

This is a good burger.

And the key lime meringue pie

4D58D3E9-410B-4BD2-A76C-324B0E73143A.thumb.jpeg.c1ce4e16bcc42957fe1982999924e943.jpeg

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

I don’t know how they do the UDP for longer cruises.  It was a chore putting in all the reservations.  I couldn’t do the UDP

more than 5 nights.  I’m so glad i got it for 110/person.  It skyrocketed the week after.

Today’s lunch was Chop.  Only real place for lunch.  I know there’s a Johnny Rockets but I’ve never been a fan even on land.  Their burgers were only so so.

Menu

DC9C37C9-50D3-4A67-8DAC-3BDCB0EF3B05.thumb.jpeg.7435da5782090088e850489b4e080100.jpeg

Beef Carpaccio is always yummy.

77FF7DCD-4819-4064-A39E-E67D82CC21F9.thumb.jpeg.8e9d97c11ad8e0ea986b9fb4a1b37ae8.jpeg

I normally would mot get a burger at Chops but I have the UDP so its ok.  98AB17A1-FDF8-411A-92A7-B8CA68B552A0.thumb.jpeg.4ec3f52ca74774493e30279977126ff3.jpeg

This is a good burger.

And the key lime meringue pie

4D58D3E9-410B-4BD2-A76C-324B0E73143A.thumb.jpeg.c1ce4e16bcc42957fe1982999924e943.jpeg

Yumm key lime pie! 

On 9/21/2022 at 5:12 PM, texasparalegal said:

Thanks. We don't need it for boarding day, since by the time you get settled, and get going, he'll have 4 drinks on his D, 4 drinks on my D and 5 drinks on my mom's D+. He can wait a day so I was trying to figure out if buying it in advance for the full 4 days vs. buying it on board on the day AFTER boarding is significantly different.

This is the price thats on board right now2A624B91-9616-40BD-B7C4-2FF7293E0507.thumb.jpeg.fc55fb6af1a83ad0fc7a4e4e9cea7138.jpeg

Okay.  Ben and Jerry’s millshakes is NOT available with the Diamond vouchers.  Johnny Rockets is available.

A8F93424-D770-423A-88ED-033A30F8782C.thumb.jpeg.2144700bf8f2fe77f9c08354a6e2a82e.jpeg

And my first Diamond shake.

D2C6E1CC-4FD8-4B14-A950-E320A6CB6463.thumb.jpeg.ec122ae31eb0dd5d62f13551dafcc3ba.jpeg

I asked about the boozy shakes and they said they don’t offer.  

image.thumb.jpg.eefae4707d4cda8aa4727e63c30fb8a0.jpg

See, no bar or booze.

• Like 1