How to get to Cape Liberty from NJ - Parking at Port Too Expensive

pattycake08

I've been on many cruises, but none from my home state of NJ. Cape Liberty Port states parking is $25.00 per day, thats $200.00 for my Anthem of Seas departure out of Cape Liberty in Oct 2022; . seems a little Expensive.  Typically on our other cruises, we park at a parking lot close to Newark Airport & pay around $16.00 day, that parking lot would then shuttle us over to the airport & we would depart, when coming home they would be called & bring us back to our car.  Not sure if we could do this for this trip, and get some kind of shuttle.  Any ideas for alternatives to parking at Cape Liberty?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, pattycake08 said:

Typically on our other cruises, we park at a parking lot close to Newark Airport & pay around $16.00 day, that parking lot would then shuttle us over to the airport & we would depart, when coming home they would be called & bring us back to our car.  Not sure if we could do this for this trip, and get some kind of shuttle.  Any ideas for alternatives to parking at Cape Liberty?

You could always park at Newark in a long term lot and take a $30 Uber each way. Will most likely work out to be close. They priced it at $25 a day to basically bring other alternatives so close in price that the convenience of parking at the port becomes worth it. 

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

You could always park at Newark in a long term lot and take a $30 Uber each way. Will most likely work out to be close. They priced it at $25 a day to basically bring other alternatives so close in price that the convenience of parking at the port becomes worth it. 

Good point— frequently a cheaper alternative loses a bit of its charm once all related costs are factored.  Additionally, how much is your time saved and hassle avoided by parking at the port worth to you?

alternative

Edited by navybankerteacher

Whether the cost of parking at a transportation terminal is $25 per day, $16 per day, or something else, the fact is that there exists a financial cost to storing (parking) a motor vehicle. I think that the reason that many people object to paying for parking at these transportation terminals is that most parking lots do not directly impose their costs on the motor vehicle operators, but instead have their costs buried in the price of the items sold by the stores that provide these parking lots. Many people believe that all parking should be "free" . . . or at least buried into the price of the goods or services being purchased.  I am part of the minority that does not drive, and so I get saddled with parking costs that are buried into the price of goods or services. It is frustrating to me that I should have to pay for the parking costs of others, especially if have also had to pay a bus fare to get me to the store (see related store here as to legality of burring parking cost into prices paid by all). Worst are the laws that mandate business to provide "free" parking as a condition for doing business. I wish that more businesses would decouple the cost of parking and charge extra to those persons who do use motor vehicles and park them at the business. That charges are imposed by Cape Liberty Cruise Port should be supported. And there is to be a competitive parking business to be had, then competition will regulate the rates charged for parking. Yet even without competing parking business, the discussion in this thread demonstrates that one need not park at Cape Liberty (Uber and Lyft are available, and hopefully before too much longer there will also be public transportation), and that by itself regulates the amount that can be charged to people who nonetheless choose to drive to Cape Liberty and park there. Kudos to the original poster who seeks an alternative to driving to Cape Liberty and parking there.

51 minutes ago, GTJ said:

I think that the reason that many people object to paying for parking at these transportation terminals is that most parking lots do not directly impose their costs on the motor vehicle operators, but instead have their costs buried in the price of the items sold by the stores that provide these parking lots. Many people believe that all parking should be "free" . . . or at least buried into the price of the goods or services being purchased.  I am part of the minority that does not drive, and so I get saddled with parking costs that are buried into the price of goods or services.

We're talking about a parking garage that is on an industrial pier with zero retail associated with it. 

52 minutes ago, GTJ said:

And there is to be a competitive parking business to be had, then competition will regulate the rates charged for parking.

There isn't competition, because it is a privately held pier in an industrial area. 

53 minutes ago, GTJ said:

(Uber and Lyft are available, and hopefully before too much longer there will also be public transportation), and that by itself regulates the amount that can be charged to people who nonetheless choose to drive to Cape Liberty and park there. Kudos to the original poster who seeks an alternative to driving to Cape Liberty and parking there.

They certainly provide alternatives but I think the overall theme here is, at $25 a day, you are hard pressed to find an alternative for much less and any other alternative will be massively less convenient than just paying to park there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pattycake08 said:

Any ideas for alternatives to parking at Cape Liberty?

There are no alternative parking options in Bayonne. In the past there was an off site lot which charged less but had a questionable reputation.

There is a public transit option to Cape Liberty that gets you 2 miles from the terminal. At that point you would need taxi or Uber to get from the light rail station to the terminal. Recently I saw 2 cruisers walking with their luggage towards the light rail station, I would not recommend walking that distance on that poorly maintained road.

21 hours ago, GTJ said:

Whether the cost of parking at a transportation terminal is $25 per day, $16 per day, or something else, the fact is that there exists a financial cost to storing (parking) a motor vehicle. I think that the reason that many people object to paying for parking at these transportation terminals is that most parking lots do not directly impose their costs on the motor vehicle operators, but instead have their costs buried in the price of the items sold by the stores that provide these parking lots. Many people believe that all parking should be "free" . . . or at least buried into the price of the goods or services being purchased.  I am part of the minority that does not drive, and so I get saddled with parking costs that are buried into the price of goods or services. It is frustrating to me that I should have to pay for the parking costs of others, especially if have also had to pay a bus fare to get me to the store (see related store here as to legality of burring parking cost into prices paid by all). Worst are the laws that mandate business to provide "free" parking as a condition for doing business. I wish that more businesses would decouple the cost of parking and charge extra to those persons who do use motor vehicles and park them at the business. That charges are imposed by Cape Liberty Cruise Port should be supported. And there is to be a competitive parking business to be had, then competition will regulate the rates charged for parking. Yet even without competing parking business, the discussion in this thread demonstrates that one need not park at Cape Liberty (Uber and Lyft are available, and hopefully before too much longer there will also be public transportation), and that by itself regulates the amount that can be charged to people who nonetheless choose to drive to Cape Liberty and park there. Kudos to the original poster who seeks an alternative to driving to Cape Liberty and parking there.

An interesting (if highly subjective) analysis.  If you really wished to complete the job, you should factor in the prices which you pay at such store - which would surely be higher if there were far fewer other shoppers to share the overhead of running the store.  You are benefitting from their contributing to the store's revenue which helps to control prices.

Also, the public transportation which you use is subsidized by all taxpayers - including those who use the parking lots and do not use your preferred public transportation - so you are getting something of a discount on your ride paid for by the taxpayers who support, but do not use, that public transportation.

For an analysis to have meaning, it should not cherry pick data.

Edited by navybankerteacher

21 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

They certainly provide alternatives but I think the overall theme here is, at $25 a day, you are hard pressed to find an alternative for much less and any other alternative will be massively less convenient than just paying to park there. 

Worst case: sail from Manhattan, where more competition exists and alternatives to parking are more convenient. The larger picture, as I see it, is that this is a situation where pricing has been disaggregated, with only those choosing to drive paying for the cost of "convenient" parking. There's regulatory barrier precluding other businesses from competing for the business of providing parking services, and there's regulatory control on the cost of parking by the existence of other choices besides parking at Cape Liberty. Indeed, that's the very premise of the original poster's inquiry. It may well be true that the other choices are less convenient. That advantage allows the market price for parking at Cape Liberty to be higher than it might otherwise be . . . but that's fine in a capitalistic economic system. I will be the first to admit that I save some dollars in not parking by using less "convenient" public transportation, coupled with a taxi or TNC ride for the last mile. But that lesser convenience is not unreasonable, and it is an alternative to paying for parking. I would very much dislike it if Royal Caribbean International were to raise its fares so that "free" parking at Cape Liberty might be included. Discussions like this, of alternatives to paying to park at Cape Liberty, are good.

On 9/20/2022 at 2:16 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Good point— frequently a cheaper alternative loses a bit of its charm once all related costs are factored.  Additionally, how much is your time saved and hassle avoided by parking at the port worth to you?

alternative

Agree +++