Anyone getting OBC or FCC for price drop after final payment lately?

MagnoliaBlossom

1 hour ago, Wedgie Wedgie said:

For those of you who received the FCC how long did it take until you were notified?

I started the 7 day period 9 days ago and have yet to hear anything.

I called about 2 weeks ago for our cabin and my daughter's cabin. She got an email about hers in about a week but I have yet to hear about ours. However, a lot of their offices are based out of Florida and figure with the weather catastrophe that has occurred, things might be delayed for awhile.

• Like 1

I upgraded our cabin on 8/16 (after final payment) for our 10/22 cruise, and a couple of days later, the price dropped $600. I called NCL, and the rep gave it to me as a FCC without any trouble at all, but it won’t show up in my account until after we complete the cruise. I can understand why they did this in relation to their cancellation policy. They divided it as $300 each to me and my husband.

I got an e-mail confirming the FCC on 8/30, so it took almost two weeks to get.

It’s a good thing I did not wait to call because the rest of the cabins like ours sold out a couple of days after I called.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rbxlady said:

It’s a good thing I did not wait to call because the rest of the cabins like ours sold out a couple of days after I called.

This is what I am curious about… I just went on NCL.com to price out my March 2023 cruise and our cabin type is sold out. Does anyone know other ways to show the current pricing to see if rates have dropped?

25 minutes ago, theBOAT said:

Does anyone know other ways to show the current pricing to see if rates have dropped?

There can't be a current price to sell a cabin if there are no cabins to sell.  If you're not happy with your cabin price I'm sure NCL would be able to find someone else willing to stay in that cabin for that price if you decide to cancel it.

After final payment, our TA asked about cabin upgrade or onboard ship credit for price drop on our October, 2022 cruise. NCL offered fcc good for 1 year after cruise ends. With many (non- NCL) cruises booked between October 2022 and October 2023, the fcc is pretty useless. 

12 minutes ago, Norseh2o said:

After final payment, our TA asked about cabin upgrade or onboard ship credit for price drop on our October, 2022 cruise. NCL offered fcc good for 1 year after cruise ends. With many (non- NCL) cruises booked between October 2022 and October 2023, the fcc is pretty useless. 

NCL doesn't know what other trips you have planned.  NCL is offering a goodwill credit because you chose to book early (and were presumably happy with the price of the trip at the time you booked).  There is no obligation to credit you anything.

On 10/2/2022 at 9:57 AM, hallux said:
On 10/2/2022 at 9:57 AM, hallux said:

NCL doesn't know what other trips you have planned.  NCL is offering a goodwill credit because you chose to book early (and were presumably happy with the price of the trip at the time you booked).  There is no obligation to credit you

I only added comment about personal experience with getting fcc & the limited time for use, never expect any favors. 

Edited by Norseh2o

On 10/2/2022 at 12:43 PM, Norseh2o said:

Are they transferable like the Cruise Next certificates?  Maybe you could make a deal with a friend who does have an NCL cruise booked. 

In May I booked a 15 day Transatlantic out of Barcelona departing 11/5. We booked an inside cabin for $1129 cruise fare pp. Just before final payment the fare dropped to about $974 pp for the inside. Called our TA and got that rate. 

A few days ago learned that prices had dropped significantly. Call NCL because I was looking for an upgrade not FCC or OBC. Now balcony guarantees were priced at $999. They told me my TA had to make the request. Fine, I have a great TA. TA contacted NCL, NCL wanted the difference of what I paid for my inside ($974) and the current price for the balcony ($999). A difference of $52 total to go from an inside to a balcony! 

We are very pleased!

• Like 3

On 10/2/2022 at 11:03 AM, hallux said:

There can't be a current price to sell a cabin if there are no cabins to sell.  If you're not happy with your cabin price I'm sure NCL would be able to find someone else willing to stay in that cabin for that price if you decide to cancel it.

Thanks for the super helpful reply and forecast about NCL’s probability of reselling the cabin. Suggestion, though - if you don’t know the answer to a post maybe just skip the urge to reply next time.

I was curious if cruises were similar to airfares, where they are all published even if the inventory level for sale is equal to zero. These can be queried through fare tables.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, theBOAT said:

Thanks for the super helpful reply and forecast about NCL’s probability of reselling the cabin. Suggestion, though - if you don’t know the answer to a post maybe just skip the urge to reply next time.

I was curious if cruises were similar to airfares, where they are all published even if the inventory level for sale is equal to zero. These can be queried through fare tables.  

I believe that Hallux is correct in that if there are no cabins to sell, there is no current price.

At least in the past when I wanted to upgrade, I was told that there had to be cabins available both for the category I was in as well as the category I wanted, otherwise no price.

Edited by julig22

11 hours ago, julig22 said:

I believe that Hallux is correct in that if there are no cabins to sell, there is no current price.

At least in the past when I wanted to upgrade, I was told that there had to be cabins available both for the category I was in as well as the category I wanted, otherwise no price.

Thanks, julig22 - I still see this as different and not really answering, though. It’s clear that NCL must have a cabin in inventory in order to sell you that cabin. What is not clear (to me, at least) is if there is a way to search for the price of each cabin category at any moment. That might require a travel agent level access, which I do not have. Oh well. As Hallux mentioned, I am ok with the price I paid or I would not have booked - but always ok with saving money when that’s offered to me, too!

Heard back from my TA today.  We are on the Escape out of Rome on the 21st.  We are in a standard balcony cabin, which is exactly what we wanted.  We didn't even bid for an upgrade.  Nothing interests us this trip.

Anyway, we booked about 2 1/2 years ago and paid about $2100 or so pp.  It is now down to $1200 or so and my TA just told me we are getting a little over $1900 in FCC which is fantastic.  We are thrilled.

• Like 3

On 10/6/2022 at 3:28 PM, Giladj said:

In May I booked a 15 day Transatlantic out of Barcelona departing 11/5. We booked an inside cabin for $1129 cruise fare pp. Just before final payment the fare dropped to about $974 pp for the inside. Called our TA and got that rate. 

A few days ago learned that prices had dropped significantly. Call NCL because I was looking for an upgrade not FCC or OBC. Now balcony guarantees were priced at $999. They told me my TA had to make the request. Fine, I have a great TA. TA contacted NCL, NCL wanted the difference of what I paid for my inside ($974) and the current price for the balcony ($999). A difference of $52 total to go from an inside to a balcony! 

We are very pleased!

We've done the same thing a couple of times.  The most memorable was when we were booked in an Inside on the Breakaway.  When the price dropped, we paid about $200 pp to upgrade to a Balcony at the newly reduced price.  When prices dropped again, it was just $75 each to go from Balcony to the Haven on a 14 NYC to Caribbean cruise.  Unlike the process of bidding for an upgrade, we were able to select our cabin number and we received all the perks of the upgraded stateroom category.

• Like 2

I did it for my July cruise. Called at the end of May and got an email response about 10 days later that we would get a 100% FCC after the cruise. About 3 days after the cruise, my friend and I each had the FCC in our accounts. She had no plans to cruise within a year, while I did, so she transferred her credit to me and I gave her money for it. The entire process was pretty simple and we each got just under $1400. So now I have about $2750 to apply to my next cruise. 

On 10/6/2022 at 4:28 PM, Giladj said:

We are very pleased!

Nice!  Were you able to choose your room or did you have to let NCL pick it?

Just as a warning to anyone that got FCC from a price drop- on a cruise I took in May, I got a $1000 credit from a price drop. I am currently trying to use it to book a cruise, but a) it is only valid for the base fare, not taxes/fees/gratuities etc and b) there is a threshold NCL won't allow the price to go past. I was looking at a fare that was slightly more than my credit but only about 1/2 would actually be used, I still would have to pay about $500 plus taxes and fees. They said I can always upgrade though...