Fiona /Halifax

campngrl

Hi, just curious how the cruise ships handle bad storms like these. We are scheduled to fly into Boston this Saturday and cruise on Holland 9/24-10/1 up to Halifax and other ports along the way. We will arrive in Halifax Sunday when the eye of the storm will be the strongest. Do cruise ships ever cancel trip or do they just stay clear of the ports or try to go elsewhere in the waters. Also I am concerned on how rough the trip might be in the open storm waters. Any experience with this from anyone. I can cancel up to Friday, day before we leave. I really wanted to see Halifax and take excursions.

You can expect the cruise schedule to change.  They will try very hard to do something rather than cancel.  If damage does not prevent it, you could visit after the storm passes if there is time to do so and return.  You might not know what is changing until you are on board the ship.

58 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

You can expect the cruise schedule to change.  They will try very hard to do something rather than cancel.  If damage does not prevent it, you could visit after the storm passes if there is time to do so and return.  You might not know what is changing until you are on board the ship.

I'm thinking that if they miss Halifax they will miss it completely, along with possibly some other Maritime ports.  The cruise is a one way Quebec to Boston:

Capture2.JPG.502c23c5e2be7f5acb57af169aaa792c.JPG

I can see them spending extra time in places like the Saguenay to wait out the storm about and then rushing past the chaos, possibly somewhere like Portland Maine if missed ports put them ahead of schedule.

Roy

Watching another night of national news in Canada. Looks like the Canadian Armed Forces have arrived to help in hard-hit areas. Still almost 200K customers without power in the province of Nova Scotia with about 20K in Halifax. I wonder what the cruise line decided as OP's cruise started yesterday. 

Screenshot_20220925-221600.png

I was wondering as well. We canceled at last minute on Friday and got our money back as I didnt want to miss the ports we had excursions at. Prayers to all in the area that everyone stayed safe. I havent seen a post from anyone on this cruise, so not sure where the ship went to stay out of the storm or how ports were if they did arrive. 

@fatcat04 is currently on Nieuw Statendam reporting on another thread

Just announced on NS we will be going to Saguenay (8am - 6pm) tomorrow and skipping both Charlottetown and Sydney. Totally understandable. Still praying for our Maritime friends. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Roy. Yes, we are cruising up the mighty Saguenay atm. Gorgeous sunrise. Sad we are missing PEI and Sydney but I haven't heard any grumbling onboard. I think people totally understand.IMG_20220926_063831105_HDR.thumb.jpg.77e9bb85053744376c006de66d2ebf59.jpg

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Yes, we are cruising up the mighty Saguenay

Saguenay is a wonderful small port and the scenery along the river is, as you are seeing, beautiful.  You probably didn't see the Madonna of the River on the bluff where the St. Lawrence and Saguenay Rivers meet.  Look for it, if possible, when you return to the St. Lawrence.  

21 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Saguenay is a wonderful small port and the scenery along the river is, as you are seeing, beautiful.  You probably didn't see the Madonna of the River on the bluff where the St. Lawrence and Saguenay Rivers meet.  Look for it, if possible, when you return to the St. Lawrence.  

Thank you for the tip. We rented a car from National's table right in the cruise center, which was such a nice cruise center btw, and drove all over. Simply gorgeous country and the leaves. The lake and the city center of Chicoutimi, especially along the river were really lovely. Definitely a place to visit again!

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Thank you for the tip. We rented a car from National's table right in the cruise center, which was such a nice cruise center btw, and drove all over. Simply gorgeous country and the leaves. The lake and the city center of Chicoutimi, especially along the river were really lovely. Definitely a place to visit again!

Sailing by the Madonna on the River on the Maasdam, a recording of Ave Maria was played over the PA.  The sight and the music:  memorable for me.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Sailing by the Madonna on the River on the Maasdam, a recording of Ave Maria was played over the PA.  The sight and the music:  memorable for me.  

What a wonderful cruise memory. Both of Our Lady but also the Maasdam, our favorite ship. Thank you for sharing. 

• Thanks 1