What about the temp takers?

EvanBedar

Ok so they’ve dropped testing.  And they’ve canceled the vax requirements.   But do they still shoot you in the head with the little thermometer gun when you board?   Can you imagine making it all the way to the ship, and then being refused boarding because your temp is elevated a couple degrees?   Maybe just from pulling luggage across a parking lot and up the gangplank?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, EvanBedar said:

Ok so they’ve dropped testing.  And they’ve canceled the vax requirements.

They have?  If you’re over twelve you need to be vaccinated or show a negative test result. So they haven’t fully dropped them. 

But, to answer your question, there was no temp checking when I boarded the Dawn a couple weeks ago in England. 

2 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

They have?  If you’re over twelve you need to be vaccinated or show a negative test result. So they haven’t fully dropped them. 

But, to answer your question, there was no temp checking when I boarded the Dawn a couple weeks ago in England. 

https://www.tripsavvy.com/norwegian-cruise-line-eases-vaccine-requirements-6383343

4 minutes ago, EvanBedar said:

Im well aware of NCL’s current policy. I just sailed.  Read the article details.  Or better yet, look at NCL’s current written policy.  It doesn’t say they have fully dropped testing requirements.  And it depends on whether you are vaccinated or not. 

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

Just now, MeHeartCruising said:

Im well aware of NCL’s current policy. I just sailed.  Read the article details.  Or better yet, look at NCL’s current written policy.  It doesn’t say they have fully dropped testing.   And it depends on whether you are vaccinated or not. 

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

Yeah great.  

🙄

3 hours ago, EvanBedar said:

Ok so they’ve dropped testing.  And they’ve canceled the vax requirements.   But do they still shoot you in the head with the little thermometer gun when you board?   Can you imagine making it all the way to the ship, and then being refused boarding because your temp is elevated a couple degrees?   Maybe just from pulling luggage across a parking lot and up the gangplank?

Those temperature guns run low.  Last year, when boarding in LA, they tried two different ones on me because my temp was supposedly <95 degrees.  I tried to convince them I was a zombie. 🙂

I'm usually slightly lower than 98.6 with a traditional thermometer but always a couple degrees lower with the gun.  If someone registers 100 on the gun, they're probably north of 102.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1

not get off topic but i hate the new facial recognition system. on the ships i sailed on that used them, it is a very slow process. sometimes you have to take off your hat for it to detect you, sometimes you have to stand in like a perfect spot for it to detect you. it does not feel that fast compare to just swiping/scanning the card

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

not get off topic but i hate the new facial recognition system. on the ships i sailed on that used them, it is a very slow process. sometimes you have to take off your hat for it to detect you, sometimes you have to stand in like a perfect spot for it to detect you. it does not feel that fast compare to just swiping/scanning the card

When NCL used the facial recognition in the Bahamas and in Miami (for customs), we had to tap our card and use the facial recognition. I believe I noticed a temperature on the screen, but didn't pay much attention. I believe it took about 10 seconds to get me lined up, so yes a few more seconds which I suppose does add up over 1,000's of guests. 

No temp gun pointed at my forehead though! 

28 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

When NCL used the facial recognition in the Bahamas and in Miami (for customs), we had to tap our card and use the facial recognition. I believe I noticed a temperature on the screen, but didn't pay much attention. I believe it took about 10 seconds to get me lined up, so yes a few more seconds which I suppose does add up over 1,000's of guests. 

No temp gun pointed at my forehead though! 

Temp and facial recognition tech has been great…on and off the ship, through customs, etc.  Very easy and cleared up bottlenecks that used to occur.

I think we all knew that once the amount of VAXed cruisers elevated, things would relax. IN talking to the GM on the Getaway in July, he said the average % of passengers that are vaxed is well over 95% on NCL sailings.  The only way they got to that point was to require 100% vax for the last 18+ months.

Talking to Capt Kate over a year ago on the Celebrity Edge she stated the only way Celebrity could sail was to require a vaccination for anyone who could be vaccinated.  They don’t sail with many children as they aren’t geared for that.  So, their %s of vax passengers were very high, also.  She said they had to make the policy to get ships back on the water and have the passengers who sailed put in the safest possible environment.

NCL and Celebrity stuck to their guns with their original policies, which made it work for them and their guests.  Kudos to them.  Looking back, Royal, Princess, and HAL tried segregating passengers, closed off spaces depending on vax or non-vax, etc.  To me, that was not only a disaster by comical, as the policies kept changing. Not so with NCL and Celebrity.  They kept their policies consistent.

Now, as a result, after over a year and a half later, then can relax those policies because they worked and COVID is now a painful, but hopefully a distant memory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2