Non-refundable deposit

misha1

I have not cancelled many cruises in the past before Covid but I recall that if I cancelled before final payment, I was refunded my deposit.  How silly of me to assume this was still true.  We just disembarked Celebrity Solstice last Friday.  Prior to this sailing and after the 'Cruise with Confidence' program was lifted, I booked a B2B for a winter get away.  We tested positive for Covid within 48 hours of disembarkation.  I no longer want to cruise.  Now they have my deposit and plan to keep it.  No need to chastise me...it was my misunderstanding and I own it.  Certainly puts a new skew on future cruises for me though.  

16 minutes ago, misha1 said:

I have not cancelled many cruises in the past before Covid but I recall that if I cancelled before final payment, I was refunded my deposit.  How silly of me to assume this was still true.  We just disembarked Celebrity Solstice last Friday.  Prior to this sailing and after the 'Cruise with Confidence' program was lifted, I booked a B2B for a winter get away.  We tested positive for Covid within 48 hours of disembarkation.  I no longer want to cruise.  Now they have my deposit and plan to keep it.  No need to chastise me...it was my misunderstanding and I own it.  Certainly puts a new skew on future cruises for me though.  

Did you call and ask them if you could book another cruise with your NRD?  I would do that, or have your TA do it.  Usually, they are accomodating.  I am truly sorry.

Edited by Lastdance

1 hour ago, misha1 said:

Unless you are within final payment you still should be able to cancel with a $100 pp charge and either get a refund or a Future Cruise Credit. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Unless you are within final payment you still should be able to cancel with a $100 pp charge and either get a refund or a Future Cruise Credit. 

You have a choice to book either refundable or non-refundable deposit.  I thought if you booked non-refundable and cancelled outright, you COULD NOT get a cash refund, period.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I cancelled 2 cruises and they (my travel agent) moved both non-refundable deposits to two new cruises with  no added fee. After sailing on the Edge in July I prefer Edge Class ships I made the switch.

Looking forward to my second TA on the Apex in April. Wow it was hard to get a suite booked AQ then looked everyday for 6 weeks and was able to get a Sky Suite.

10 hours ago, southernbreezes said:

I cancelled 2 cruises and they (my travel agent) moved both non-refundable deposits to two new cruises with  no added fee. After sailing on the Edge in July I prefer Edge Class ships I made the switch.

Looking forward to my second TA on the Apex in April. Wow it was hard to get a suite booked AQ then looked everyday for 6 weeks and was able to get a Sky Suite.

There is a difference between cancelling and moving to a different sailing.

If you have a non-refundable deposit and you cancel - you lose it.  If you move to a different sailing, there is a $100pp change fee and the rest of the deposit can be used on the new sailing.

Rules were different with cruise with confidence, so that may have been in effect when you were able to change with no added fee.  Or an exception was made.

Mike

• Like 2

21 hours ago, misha1 said:

~ I no longer want to cruise.  Now they have my deposit and plan to keep it.  ~ Certainly puts a new skew on future cruises for me though.  

If you no longer want to cruise, how does it put a 'new skew on future cruises'??????

Edited by Guindalf

The NRD option has been around since at least 2018. I remember when we booked our Alaska cruise onboard back then being asked if we wanted a refundable or non-refundable deposit. I always book the refundable option because I know when I transfer the booking to my TA, it will most likely end up be part of their group booking (great perks but a full deposit), so the price I book onboard is a moot point.