Testing at Dr office

believe123

Good morning,  I was told we would be self pay to test for Covid before cruise at our local urgent care. It would be $195 for each person. Is there anyone who has been on MSC in the US recently that could tell me if you went to your local Dr office to get tested? I’ve seen some talk about OnPoint and wondering if we should go that route? Thanks in advance. 

33 minutes ago, perakcruiser said:

$195 seems to be the biggest COVID scam worldwide since beginning of the pandemic. And there have been oh so many scams. 

How can you justify if the price is high or low if the OP didn’t specify the type of COVID-19 test ?

• Antigen Test (Rapid Test, screening only)

• SARS-CoV-2 Molecular Test (diagnostic)

-> 2 to 3 days turnaround time

• SARS-CoV-2 Molecular Test (diagnostic)

STAT 30 minutes turnaround

41 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

How can you justify if the price is high or low if the OP didn’t specify the type of COVID-19 test ?

I had so many Covid tests around the world in the last two years. All kind of and certainly at the beginning of the pandemic they were much more expensive then now. Yes, I was scammed a couple of times as a foreigner, but never ever close to 195 USD. 

43 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

SARS-CoV-2 Molecular Test (diagnostic)

STAT 30 minutes turnaround

Even for this, which is certainly not necessary for a cruise, 195 USD would be a scam. Just a smaller scam, not the biggest in the world. 

Please reread the MSC website under Health and Safety for COVID vaccination and testing requirements for US residents and non-US residents sailing from US ports on Caribbean itineraries. Depending on your status you may not need to test at all. If you do need a test I can tell you from what I have heard, testing at the terminal for a rapid antigen test is less than half that price. There are multiple options off port even considerably less. The ‘scam’ appears to be totally a function of your locale.

The problem with testing at the Urgent Care places is that they process you as a clinic visit, with included fees.  I went that route without knowing what it would cost.  I believe ot was about $230.  The first statement I got was from Medicare, which said nobody had paid.  But I have three insurances, and someone must have paid, because I never got a bill.  EM

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

The problem with testing at the Urgent Care places is that they process you as a clinic visit, with included fees.  I went that route without knowing what it would cost.  I believe ot was about $230.  The first statement I got was from Medicare, which said nobody had paid.  But I have three insurances, and someone must have paid, because I never got a bill.  EM

And the automatic pass-through of clinic/administrative fees for COVID testing to the federal government for either Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance has ended.

34 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

And the automatic pass-through of clinic/administrative fees for COVID testing to the federal government for either Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance has ended.

Do you have any insider knowledge of medical billing ? 

If YES , then you would know that Medicare and Medicaid have standardized reimbursements.. and private insurances usually adapt the fee tables.

Physicians can bill for office visit, examinations and consultation. They can not bill administrative  fees.

1 hour ago, perakcruiser said:

Even for this, which is certainly not necessary for a cruise, 195 USD would be a scam. Just a smaller scam, not the biggest in the world. 

You are right, SARS-CoV-2 STAT tests are not necessary for a cruise.. but sometimes requested by patients due to the fact that the 2-3 day PCR test wasn’t resulted in time.

STAT tests are designed for diagnostic purposes when time is of the essence.

Example: Patient flying from USA to Japan.

PCR test done at a pharmacy wasn’t resulted in time. Patient is traveling the same day.. STAT test would get him on the plane..

Commonly seen prices for Covid Lab tests

in the U.S. :

• Antigen ~ under $100

• SARS-Cov-2 ~ $100-150

• SARS-Cov-2 STAT ~ $200+
(Prices may vary)