Is there any hope MSC will relax European testing protocols?

Native Floridian 26

We are in Marseille now to board the Meraviglia this afternoon. Negative tests in hand, 15 Euros each at pharmacy.

Easier and cheaper than leaving the US on Labor Day for B2B Windstar in the Med. 

Nice to avoid the hassle, but now we will experience the "don't ask, didn't tell" climate.

Time will tell what the result of that will be.

Hoping for the best.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BklynBorn47 said:

Easier and cheaper than leaving the US on Labor Day for B2B Windstar in the Med. 

Cruised both with testing in port, and testing 48 hours before embarkation. MSC definitely provided the best experience here (albeit at a small sanitary cost).

On 9/23/2022 at 9:36 AM, les37b said:

I just saw this on the Virtuosa FB page.

I almost booked tests for my 8 Nov sailing and rang MSC yesterday with the cruise details to be 100% sure a home test was ok.... And was told yes provided you had a certificate. What she should have said was they e changed the rules, you no longer need one, but it's recommend you do.

My fears with this news is that people will now travel knowing or suspecting they have COVID. 

Oh definitely. I think at this point one can’t think ‘what will I do IF I get COVID on the cruise” and change the mindset to “what will I do WHEN I get COVID on the cruise”. With the lack of any testing or vax requirements, and no precautions on board, it’s going to be very widespread. It’s still amazing to me how many people flatly refuse to avail themselves of hand sanitizer stations or hand washing stations at the buffet. Learned NOTHING from the past 3 years. Even if people are convinced that covid is nothing, I’ve been on a cruise with a Norovirus outbreak, and that’s no fun either.

• Like 2

Oh, we are booked on the Virtuosa 16th October and was hoping for at least a pre-Cruise Test just to be safe.  Already in the UK the Cases of Covid are on the rise! We sailed 3 times last year and felt quite safe with Protocols in place.  I have seen on other Boards that some people are going about the Ship concealing the fact they are Positive for Covid.🙈 For those of us who have not had the Virus it is still a worry. 

I agree with the point on Norovirus, we have seen what that can do to a Cruise.  Please wash your Hands.

Oh well, it won't stop us going on our Cruise because we love it.xxx

7 hours ago, flyingmonk said:

So, if you are Vaxed and also boosted, is the tests still mandatory for Med cruises?

It varies by country.  Go to your MSC website for India, and look at the Health Protocols.If they've updated the protocols, there are two sections for before October 1 and from October 1.

12 hours ago, Missymssy said:

Still no change. Very confusing.  Has anyone taken a test in Naples? If I just wait, is it easy to just find a test site if needed?

I have called twice as recently as yesterday and asked Customer Service, but they honestly have no clue.  They go to the website to check lol.

3 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

It won't be on the US website because that guidance is for UK residents.  Each country has their own website which has the protocols that apply to them, for the various cruises destinations. 

The point of this thread about the US residents' protocols for European cruises.  So far there is no change to the USA website.  The hope is that they just haven't updated our USA website yet.

Edited by Native Floridian 26

3 hours ago, Missymssy said:

Hopefully someone from the US will post after October 1 and tell us what goes on at embarkment. I suppose it is possible that they will be checking where you are from, and have different requirements based on that. 

Yes, hoping someone posts.  I have reached out by email, Facebook, Twitter and phone with noone indicating any change in protocols for us in US in Europe.

10 hours ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Yes, hoping someone posts.  I have reached out by email, Facebook, Twitter and phone with noone indicating any change in protocols for us in US in Europe.

I understand the frustrations and need for absolute clarity.... But I truly believe Americans arriving in Europe boarding an MSC ship anywhere (apart from Athens) will be treated exactly the same as everyone else.

Fingers crossed they update the site for you soon. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, les37b said:

I understand the frustrations and need for absolute clarity.... But I truly believe Americans arriving in Europe boarding an MSC ship anywhere (apart from Athens) will be treated exactly the same as everyone else.

Same. MSC doesn't manage to get port arrival times right, yet they would magically be able to enforce different regulations based on the place of where the voyage was bought? Nonsense.

Am I correct?  MSC is the only cruise line still making US residents cruising the Mediterranean to get a Covid test.  It makes no sense to me.  Only Americans cruising the Mediterranean must get a Covid test.  No one else?  To be honest, this is my family’s first cruise with MSC and after all the problems with customer service and now this, it will be our last cruise with them.  Going back to RCCL.