Favorite Food On Seabourn.

josephml1

gotta go with johng75730 on this one - the Indian Market dinner in the Colonnade is my fave.  Lots of Indian curries, pakoras, naan, tandoori stuff - and if you like it spicy (like I do) there are optional chutneys and sauces to make it happen.  That said, my other faves:  Grandma's cake in the Square (as well as the little mini-sandwiches in the Square, with interesting Italian cured meats & arugula, etc, like a tiny Italian "club sandwich", for when you don't want anything big, but just a little afternoon nosh to tide you over to the next time you strap on the ol' dinner feedbag).  Also agree with the 2+baked goat cheese soufflé voters.  And while we love the signature Seabourn dessert soufflés in general (now and again)...they're filling and extravagant (and did I say wonderful?) but sometimes you just want to satisfy that sweet-tooth thing without the caloric overload.  A nice glass of Sauternes is, to me, the perfect after-dinner "minimalist" dessert.   (Funny story about Sauternes on Seabourn going a few years back...I might be persuaded to tell if anyone shows interest.)   🙄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SDuckers said:

Keller fried chicken for sure. I love the Napa Burger for lunch on the patio with wonderful French fries. 

we had the cowboy rib eye at Earth & Ocean, topped with seared foie gras, two nights ago and it was to die for!

I should add that I had one of the best Rib Eye steaks I've ever had for dinner one night in the MDR.  That's another memorable meal.  Sadly, it was so large that I could only eat about 1/4 of it!  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

@Sharkb8. Do tell!

Well, as I said, I find that a small glass of Sauternes after dinner can satisfy the sweet tooth, without the excess baggage involved with one of those yummy, decadent soufflés.  This is many years ago - halfway into the cruise I was informed that they had run out of Sauternes, hoped to re-stock along the way, but it never happened.  So it became a "thing" in future conversation with Mrs Shark Bait, if something went slightly awry, we'd say, "oh no, it's Sauternes all over again".  And then.....several cruises later it happened again.  After being told they were fresh out, I was bemoaning my fate in the MDR, and a British couple at an adjacent table apparently overheard me, the gentleman said he had also asked for Sauternes the night before, but was also given the bad news.  He and I chatted about it momentarily, just as the MDR maitre d' walked by, he overheard us, and said "Sauternes?  You wish for some Sauternes?  I will get for you".  We told him that it was apparently out of stock, he wagged his finger at us, pointed to himself, and vanished.  Five minutes later he walked up to us, stopped, looked at the heavens, then dropped his head with his chin on his chest, and in Marcel-Marceau-like fashion, mimed pulling a giant samurai sword out of its scabbard, and plunging it into his abdomen in dramatic disemboweling fashion.  It was a hearty laugh all around, and of course behind it all, I'm sure, was his hope that he could ease our frustration with a good chuckle, which it did.  

But they were still out of Sauternes the rest of that cruise, too.  Grrrr.  😡

jgw7160.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Speaking of steaks onboard, one of my favorite dinners is the medium-rare rib eye at Keller, with the perigourdine sauce (on the side, of course!  Bearnaise sauce with steak just doesn’t please my taste buds for some reason).  I always start with the crab cake, it's one of my go-to dinners.   🦀🥩     

• Like 3

@shark b8

"oh no, it's Sauternes all over again" 🤣🤣🤣

Great story, I love when lexicon from any entertaining interlude becomes part of your everyday language and continues to entertain.

Off topic, but here goes. Twenty years ago we  had a sommelier who poured perfectly even glasses of wine. We asked how he did it. He replied " Walgreens" and walked away. Never saw him again and have no idea what he meant. We use that word to this day when pours are even. Should they be uneven we shake our heads and say "CVS".

• Haha 4

On 9/23/2022 at 6:50 AM, Flamin_June said:

And,,, although they don't seem to do it any more the Grand Marnier soufle in the MDR

But you can request them anytime; simply talk to the maitre d' a day in advance. I've ordered the Grand Marnier ones, but for us, it's a chocolate soufflé request on every cruise.

licks-lips.png

• Like 2

Yes -we plan to put in a special request for those, and a couple of other things on our next cruise. There was a sort of chicken pie thingy (somewhat grander than that description but I forget what it was called) they used to do, which DW was very fond of, and we haven't seen the clam chowder for a while either. We know Flambé  things are out of the question, so no table-side crepes suzette, but are hoping for an Irish Coffee to finish off a meal or two.

We know one only has to ask, but generally we are undemanding, low-maintenance passengers. As it  may be our last cruise for sometime (various reasons, nothing dramatic) we will probably indulge in a little envelope pushing.

• 5 months later...