Advice on "purchasing" GBP at Heathrow terminal 3

Alaskanb

It has been several years since we visited the UK and the notes we have are no longer in circulation. To complicate things we no longer have access to currency exchange in our small community.

We need to have some GBP for tips while we are heading from Heathrow to Southampton where my brother will have GBP and Euro for us.

Any suggestions on how to exchange some currency at LHR terminal 3.

So you're only concerned about tips between Heathrow and Southampton?

Would that just be for a private transfer driver?

£10 would be generous. And zilch if the driver is late or the car not up to standard etc.

An airport-based driver would be used to getting tips in € or $ from time to time, and I wouldn't worry about changing dollars for the sake of one tip, so $10, or $15 at the most.

Or your brother standing by with £ when you get to Southampton.

Tips aren't the same big-deal in the UK (or indeed in most of the world) as they are in the States.

No worries

JB 🙂

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

So you're only concerned about tips between Heathrow and Southampton?

Would that just be for a private transfer driver?

£10 would be generous. And zilch if the driver is late or the car not up to standard etc.

An airport-based driver would be used to getting tips in € or $ from time to time, and I wouldn't worry about changing dollars for the sake of one tip, so $10, or $15 at the most.

Or your brother standing by with £ when you get to Southampton.

Tips aren't the same big-deal in the UK (or indeed in most of the world) as they are in the States.

No worries

JB 🙂

Thanks. It would be for a private transfer driver (Blackberry cars).  We need wheelchair assistance on arrival in LHR -- is a tip appropriate for the assistants? 

40 minutes ago, Alaskanb said:

We need wheelchair assistance on arrival in LHR -- is a tip appropriate for the assistants? 

Sorry, I don't know.

But if there's no charge I would think it appropriate. Mebbe $5 or $10 (again, you won't be the only one tipping in a foreign currency)

JB 🙂

• Like 1

My wife has used wheelchair assistance through Heathrow several times. The porters are reasonably well paid and do not expect to be tipped.

I imagine that they would not refuse one in any currency, but they do not expect it.

Edited by Bob++
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/23/2022 at 2:05 PM, John Bull said:

No worries

JB 🙂

Or Canada as well. Now, the Debit machines ask if you want to tip the fast food staff…..and that’s before you wait for your food or taste it!!  Smart..tip before service…innovative!!??

• 2 weeks later...

You had to change your notes by Sept 30 if you were in the UK. Here in the US my bank deposited my 50 and 20 GBP into my account as dollars. They are now using plasticy notes just like the 5 and 10 ones.

I was in Belfast in 2018 and the cab driver from the airport wouldnt take my old 10 GBP. He told me to go to a bank or Post Office and change them.  I had no trouble doing so. For the cab driver a 20 was still good.

On 10/18/2022 at 4:36 PM, ladysail2 said:

Or Canada as well. Now, the Debit machines ask if you want to tip the fast food staff…..and that’s before you wait for your food or taste it!!  Smart..tip before service…innovative!!??

Yes, that's far too presumptuous.😟

I certainly wouldn't expect cruise ships to add mandatory gratuities for service before serving drinks.

Ahhhh, ohhhh, errrrr, ummmm, oooops

Where's the delete button? 😀

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Haha 4

On 9/23/2022 at 8:57 PM, Alaskanb said:

Thanks. It would be for a private transfer driver (Blackberry cars).  We need wheelchair assistance on arrival in LHR -- is a tip appropriate for the assistants? 

UK wheelchair user here, tips aren't expected or usual for the assistance person, unless they go above and beyond in some way. It is OK to tip in dollars inside the airport, but nowhere else in the UK. 

For the transfer driver, again you don't need to tip, you could probably be OK to tip in dollars, but apologise and be generous to cover the exchange fees. 

Airport ATMs tend to have high fees, a bureau de change might be better. There will be one on the terminal, you can usually go online to find out rates and order cash for collection.

Asking the driver to stop at a bank cash machine is an option, if you do this you should tip

Even though you say your small town doesn't have a currency exchange location. Not many towns do. We order foreign currency online from our bank. Something you might want to check in to or do you belong to AAA they do currency also.

• Like 1