Embarkation Day Lunch

Zaffaris

Carnival Horizon has lots of dining options available on the Lido Deck.  Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana Cantina, Pizzeria del Capitano, Seafood Shack ($), and the Lido Marketplace.  This is where the fun, (and the crowds) are going for lunch.  I'd probably see if the "Captain's Pasta Bar" is open for this first meal and a chance to relax.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zaffaris said:

First time cruising Carnival.  We will be on the Horizion on November 11th.  What are our options for lunch on embarkation day?

Hi @Zaffaris🙂

Lunch options for Horizion on embarkation day are:

20220923-183334.jpg

20220923-183303.jpg

Also, here's some helpful Horizon info:

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4360/~/carnival-horizon-(hz)-ship-features-and-public-areas

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Zaffaris said:

First time cruising Carnival.  We will be on the Horizion on November 11th.  What are our options for lunch on embarkation day?

Easy.  Deck 17.  Either Cucina del Capitano or Jiji's.  Both are fairly quick sit down options with Italian or Asian stir fry.  You choose your noodle or pasta, your protein, your sauce and your veggies.  Then go downstairs to the Lido for the gelato.

5 hours ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Hi @Zaffaris🙂

Lunch options for Horizion on embarkation day are:

20220923-183334.jpg

20220923-183303.jpg

Also, here's some helpful Horizon info:

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4360/~/carnival-horizon-(hz)-ship-features-and-public-areas

This box is not from the Horizon.  They don't have a Mongolian wok or pasta bar on deck 11, just like the Lido is not on 10. Lido is 16 and Jiji's and Cucina is on 17.

11 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

This box is not from the Horizon.  They don't have a Mongolian wok or pasta bar on deck 11, just like the Lido is not on 10. Lido is 16 and Jiji's and Cucina is on 17.

I assure you, these Embarkation Day Lunch options are 101% from Carnival Horizon.

20220923-183334.jpg

20220923-183303.jpg

Additional Horizon info:

Edited by ObstructedView2
  • Like 2

Completely agree that you should try to hit one of the lesser well known locations on embarkation day (Mongolian Wok, Guy's Pig & Anchor Smokehouse BBQ, and Cucina del Capitano). Of those - I would speculate that the Mongolian Wok might develop the largest lines later, on sea days because a little more time is involved in food prep for each order.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SDPadreFan said:

Completely agree that you should try to hit one of the lesser well known locations on embarkation day (Mongolian Wok, Guy's Pig & Anchor Smokehouse BBQ, and Cucina del Capitano). Of those - I would speculate that the Mongolian Wok might develop the largest lines later, on sea days because a little more time is involved in food prep for each order.

Both Mongolian and pasta develop huge waits as the week goes on. Not so much at Guys bbq. 

On 9/23/2022 at 10:09 PM, Colorado Beach Bum said:

Definitely go for Mongolian or Pasta.  As the week progresses, the wait in those two venues get very long.  Go on day one before everyone finds it. 

This, this, and again THIS.  

However, at neither location do you have to wait in line.  It is sit-down service, and your server will hand you a card to fill out with that you want in your pasta bowl or stir-fry bowl.  A lot more civilized than Mongolian Wok is normally (as a part of the Lido buffet), but I don't care; I'll happily wait in line since I'm a Mongolian stir-fry FIEND.  :D

For purposes of clarity, I think the FunTimes lunch listing posted earlier lists these as simply "Mongolian Wok" and "Pasta Bar" instead of Jiji's and the Cucina to better indicate what food you're getting there, instead of the dinnertime ($) menus that most people think of...and could be confused by.

On 9/24/2022 at 3:16 PM, SDPadreFan said:

Again, for the OP's Horizon cruise, there will be no lines for lunch at Jiji's/stir-fry or at the Cucina/pasta bowls venues.  Both are sit-down service for lunch.  

8 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Again, for the OP's Horizon cruise, there will be no lines for lunch at Jiji's/stir-fry or at the Cucina/pasta bowls venues.  Both are sit-down service for lunch.  

Don't you still have to wait in line to make your selections before you sit down?

(I know we had to on Freedom or Glory years ago. Had to wait in line and make our selections at the Pasta side and then take a beeper to go back up and pick up our food on the Sunshine this weekend. JiJi's side on the Sunshine was just wait in line the entire time your food was prepared.)

On 9/28/2022 at 3:02 AM, bguppies said:

Don't you still have to wait in line to make your selections before you sit down?

(I know we had to on Freedom or Glory years ago. Had to wait in line and make our selections at the Pasta side and then take a beeper to go back up and pick up our food on the Sunshine this weekend. JiJi's side on the Sunshine was just wait in line the entire time your food was prepared.)

On the Horizon, both Jiji's as well as Cucina are sit down options for lunch.  You check in and then you're seated.  You get your paper menu and pencil ✏️ and then you check off your choices and give it to your waiter/waitress.  In and out in maybe 40 minutes. Then go down one level for the gelato or cake 🍰 for dessert.

On 9/28/2022 at 3:02 AM, bguppies said:

Not on the Mardi Gras, and not on the Horizon or other Vista-class ships.  Not on the Sunrise at the Cucina either.  (It doesn't have Jiji's or Mongolian Wok, which was a not-unexpected bummer.)   As I said, these have sit-down service, not standing in line like at Mongolian Wok (and I'll WAIT in that line; I'm a fiend for fresh stir-fry).  

You show up, you're directed to a table, your server hands you a check-sheet and a pencil, and you fill out what you want in your {pasta | stir-fry} bowl.  It's prepared to-order in back and brought to you.  Easy-peasy and complimentary.  Looking forward to embark-day lunch on the Horizon next Sunday since both options are available!  

Edited by Pellaz

18 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Not on the Mardi Gras, and not on the Horizon or other Vista-class ships.  Not on the Sunrise at the Cucina either.  (It doesn't have Jiji's or Mongolian Wok, which was a not-unexpected bummer.)   As I said, these have sit-down service, not standing in line like at Mongolian Wok (and I'll WAIT in that line; I'm a fiend for fresh stir-fry).  

You show up, you're directed to a table, your server hands you a check-sheet and a pencil, and you fill out what you want in your {pasta | stir-fry} bowl.  It's prepared to-order in back and brought to you.  Easy-peasy and complimentary.  Looking forward to embark-day lunch on the Horizon next Sunday since both options are available!  

But if you show up and all the tables are already filled - then your choice is to wait for an available table (in a line) or go elsewhere - correct?

Edited by SDPadreFan