Would you sit on your balcony ?

sarahuk

Hi,

If someone next door to your balcony cabin had a constant dry cough day and night that you could hear and then sat out on their balcony constantly coughing and not putting their hand over their mouth ( I could see then quite clearly through the gap in the partition),

would you feel comfortable sitting out there?  There is only a matter of a couple of feet between us.

Someone told me that the Captain told them there are 10 cases of Covid although I have not heard him say this in his daily announcement 

Just now, Lookyboy said:

There are mixed views here on the latest version of the virus and shedding of it in the open air. Interestingly, at one of our local half marathon races, several of the more elite runners at the start line tested positive within days of the race. Speculation was, that the virus was shed at that point. 

1 hour ago, sarahuk said:

Hi,

If someone next door to your balcony cabin had a constant dry cough day and night that you could hear and then sat out on their balcony constantly coughing and not putting their hand over their mouth ( I could see then quite clearly through the gap in the partition),

would you feel comfortable sitting out there?  There is only a matter of a couple of feet between us.

Someone told me that the Captain told them there are 10 cases of Covid although I have not heard him say this in his daily announcement 

Might be worth asking your neighbour if they’ve had their cough for long. I have a dry cough that I’ve had for a few years. Had X-Rays, doctor’s tried all sorts of treatments and nothing works. Apparently it’s not uncommon as you get older. I do worry that people may think I have COVID.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, sarahuk said:

Hi,

DH and I had Covid last month. No coughing for either of us. (And I hasten to add that we stayed home until after we tested negative!) The silent person on the next-door balcony could be more of a threat than the one with a cough. There’s no easy way to tell, unfortunately.

Edited by lisiamc
Clarity
  • Like 2

I have a cough right now but have tested negative twice.  However, if I were on a cruise sitting on a balcony, I would cover my mouth while coughing.  It's just good manners and caring about other people nearby.  You have a right to enjoy your balcony also.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Might be worth asking your neighbour if they’ve had their cough for long. I have a dry cough that I’ve had for a few years. Had X-Rays, doctor’s tried all sorts of treatments and nothing works. Apparently it’s not uncommon as you get older. I do worry that people may think I have COVID.

This is so true! Some high blood pressure medication causes a dry cough! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I might not want to sit out there at the same time, but otherwise, I think you would be fine.

Not being able to sit on the balcony that I have paid for is an unacceptable option.  That said - I just would not worry about it although the sound of the constant coughing while not dangerous would be annoying.

With regard to Cynthia's comment about getting your cabin moved I would consider it highly unlikely that they are going to move you because the people next door ar coughing.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1

Well today I saw the person in Mosaic cafe coughing excessively whilst stood at the counter and not once covering their mouth.

Absolutely disgusting manners !!
We don’t want to complain as it’s not Azamara’s fault but when we hear them come out on their balcony we go back in our cabin. 
It’s not the worry of Covid so much as the disgusting habit of not covering one’s mouth.

I would not be too timid to poke my head around the divider and ask politely that they cover their mouth.  I'm surprised no one in Mosiac said anything.  This is especially bad around food.

It is not Azamara's fault but they are responsible for the enjoyment of their passengers.  As someone already said, you paid for your balcony and you should be able to enjoy it as much as you want.  I would go to guest relations and tell them what you have told us.

• Like 2

I have adult onset asthma and never know when perfume or strong cleaners will set it off, to my extreme discomfort and embarrassment.   Coughing was never fun but now with Covid it's really something I try to avoid.   Somehow neither of us have had Covid up to now. 

• Like 2