Gibbs Cay

AwesomO

Just wondering about the Gibbs Cay excursions with the stingrays. When I look at the shop excursion description (NCL), it states that participants must be able to comfortably swim with water over their heads. However, when I look at other tours elsewhere, the water is only 2-4ft deep. Can we just choose to do the excursion and remain in the shallow areas? I have a 9 year old who can swim, but I wouldn't describe her as a strong swimmer, and a 5 year old who cannot. We're not interested in snorkeling so much. We're really just looking to hang out at a beautiful beach and see some stingrays. I don't really have an interest in the "up close and personal" where we hold them, kiss them, etc. Quite frankly, I'm not sure my kids will actually want to get near them at all and may prefer to remain on shore.

We very well may, but I wanted to explore this as an option as well. I like the idea of a more quiet, isolated island than the view of the ship from shore. Plus my husband and I can take turns seeing the sting rays if the kids end up too nervous. I'd like to give them the chance to try, though. 

Edited by AwesomO
typo

• 1 month later...

Not sure if you've already been or not but the snorkeling spot is in deep water along the way to Gibbs so that's probably why they say that. The stingrays come up at the beach at Gibbs so you won't have to worry about swimming during that part. The island is very pretty.

• Thanks 1

I haven't been yet! We sail in February, so thank you! I still haven't decided yet but this is good info. I was worried the boat wouldn't pull up all the way to the beach and we'd have to swim to shore or something. So we only have to worry about swimming if we want to snorkel it sounds like?

2 hours ago, AwesomO said:

I haven't been yet! We sail in February, so thank you! I still haven't decided yet but this is good info. I was worried the boat wouldn't pull up all the way to the beach and we'd have to swim to shore or something. So we only have to worry about swimming if we want to snorkel it sounds like?

Correct, they pull up pretty close to the shore. Check out the pictures I have on my travel blog website and you'll be able to see the distance. HERE

• Thanks 1