Currently on Ventura-Masks Again!

Mad4WDW

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

But with P&O's draconian quarantine arrangements, plus lack of financial recompense, it is easy to understand why passengers would act in this way. 

I wouldn't do it myself, but I get why people do it.  However, 'other passengers' is now one of my 'barriers to wanting to cruise'! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, terrierjohn said:

Maybe some of those with more serious health issues should not have booked a cruise holiday, if covid would be a significant problem.

Maybe they wouldn’t have booked a cruise holiday if it had been explained more clearly what the risks are. That applies both to cruise companies, who are lulling people into a false sense of security, and to the Department of Health, which has failed to counter the ‘it’s all over’ agenda, and failed also to warn those affected of the high risk of vaccines not protecting the immunocompromised. Many of them have no idea, and unless they do a lot of research they’re unlikely to find out.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Most of the FCCs are for deposit only, so not a catastrophe if they have to lose the money.

I'm pleased that I took a refund for my cruise that was due to sail at the end of March 2020. I'd have had £7000 stuck in FCC's 

Also, people had multiple cruises cancelled, so the deposits could still add up to a tidy sum 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I'm pleased that I took a refund for my cruise that was due to sail at the end of March 2020. I'd have had £7000 stuck in FCC's 

Also, people had multiple cruises cancelled, so the deposits could still add up to a tidy sum 

I live in hope that perhaps one day your glass will be half full, rather than half empty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

I live in hope that perhaps one day your glass will be half full, rather than half empty.

Just realism, John - nothing wrong with that.  No point living in some kind of fantasy world where companies exist for the benefit of their customers, rather than their shareholders.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

When doing their risk assessments, they may be happy to do their day to day activities -  but the risk factor must surely increase on a cruise ship as people are living close together for the period of the cruise.  Living in close proximity to 3000 people for 2 weeks means that you are much more likely to come into contact with infected people than if you were at home and just doing selected activities. 

You may be right for pensioners.  But 65% of people are of working age and for a lot of them I don't think the risk factor will increase from being on a ship.  I'd estimate that many of them who commute twice a day by bus or train, work in e.g. the NHS, a school, a factory, retail or a public-facing service industry, enjoy a meal out in a restaurant or go to the pub once a week, perhaps visit the cinema or theatre and shop in a supermarket will easily reach or surpass that 3000 figure for people they are in close proximity to over a 2-week period.

And even if you are only in close proximity to 10 people a week, it only takes one of them to be one of the 1 in 60 and you are liable to catch Covid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

By now everyone should be aware that covid protocols are an evolving feature which are routinely being updated, so simply claiming they were different when they booked is no justification for claiming unfair practises. As far as risk is concerned I think cruising.marks post explained that far more eloquently than anyone so far.

And this is where you and any I part company after a long and happy voyage together!  Bon voyage ...

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We also took refunds for the cruises that we already had booked when the virus stopped cruising because we didn't want to have £1000s tied up not knowing if  we would ever cruise again.  I still believe that for us it was the right thing to do even though we have taken 2 cruises this year and have others booked for this year and next year.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

You may be right for pensioners.  But 65% of people are of working age and for a lot of them I don't think the risk factor will increase from being on a ship.  I'd estimate that many of them who commute twice a day by bus or train, work in e.g. the NHS, a school, a factory, retail or a public-facing service industry, enjoy a meal out in a restaurant or go to the pub once a week, perhaps visit the cinema or theatre and shop in a supermarket will easily reach or surpass that 3000 figure for people they are in close proximity to over a 2-week period.

And even if you are only in close proximity to 10 people a week, it only takes one of them to be one of the 1 in 60 and you are liable to catch Covid.

We neither commute or mix with many people out of a close circle, just everyday living.  Cruising is a pleasure not a trial.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

It’s a numbers game.

Bearing in mind that, at this time of year, most cruisers are older.

If you go shopping, or to the garden centre or a meal you are just passing though, or staying for a short period of time. 
Whereas on a cruise, people are living in a closed community with 3000 people for two weeks. The sheer weight of numbers means that you are more likely to meet that 1 person in 60 (it’s probably higher now) who is infected. 

People are free to make their own assessments, but if they don’t understand this, then they will underestimate the risk and the assessment is flawed 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, GSPG said:

And should vulnerable’s actually be on there if they are putting themselves at serious risk of illness.

Almost certainly not. The problem is though that many of them have no idea that there’s a problem because the available information is scant and well hidden. Half a million people taking drugs required to suppress their immune systems may get no protection from vaccines, but only a percentage know that. Even medical facilities are unaware.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Almost certainly not. The problem is though that many of them have no idea that there’s a problem because the available information is scant and well hidden. Half a million people taking drugs required to suppress their immune systems may get no protection from vaccines, but only a percentage know that. Even medical facilities are unaware.

Are you saying that their own doctors don't know?   Surely people in this group should be seeking advice from their doctor / consultant before they go on holiday?

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Firstly, no one knows if they would just be poorly for a couple of days or whether they would be really ill.

Secondly, if I was infected I just wouldn't dream of going round the ship doing what I wanted, particularly without a mask.  I wouldn't want to pass the virus on to people, especially older people who might be more vulnerable than I am.  I feel that one of the contributing factors to Covid being rife on ships is passengers knowing they've got it, but pretending they haven't, and end up spreading it far and wide 

Eleven days so far so not just feeling poorly for a couple of days. You don't know how bad it can be until you experience it.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GSPG said:

But some people don’t care about passing the virus on.

And should vulnerable’s actually be on there if they are putting themselves at serious risk of illness.

which is exactly why P&O should be making customers provide clear PCR tests or ones they do on site to protect other passengers! It would make a huge difference

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 12:36 PM, pete14 said:

Can somebody currently on Ventura please give an update on the location of isolation cabins on Ventura. We have a suite booked on C deck aft from Oct 29th which I believe has been, and possibly still is, where the isolation cabins are. P&O don’t seem to want to tell me.

We are on Ventura on 11Nov and have been notified that our cabin has been moved from  a C aft cabin to a B aft cabin. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1