What does CruiseNext staff do besides sell future cruise deposits?

Sundiego

This is one of those "unimportant, just because I'm curious" questions!

I've been reading different threads where posters have mentioned reaching out to the CruiseNext staff for help with specialty dining coupons, water for stateroom and other things not related to future cruises. I thought they only handled selling the CruiseNext deposits along with general info on future sailings. So are they responsible for things beyond future cruise sailings?

~Denise

In addition to CruiseNext, they are also the onboard Latitudes reps and are responsible for everything connected to your Latitude benefits.

From their job description:

POSITION SUMMARY / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS

The primary goal for CruiseNext Consultants is to increase revenue by sales of CruiseNext and promotion of any Revenue area such as stores/restaurants/corporate clients in ports of call where contracted and manage the execution of the Latitudes Program on assigned ship. This position reports to several individuals including: CruiseNext Consultant Manager, Hotel Director and Assistant Hotel Director onboard the ship, passengers on the ship, clients in ports of call, and personnel in Mesa Office Manager, CruiseNext.

Promote the sales process of CruiseNext/ CruiseNext Ultimate sales to reach assigned financial goal for each voyage (varies per ship). You will interact one-on-one with guests to attain sales.
Learn the live presentations given by the CCM in public lounges in regards to dispensing advantages of booking now. You must have the ability to step in and do the presentations when necessary.
Fully learn and understand reservation system Seaware/ Seaweb and Fidelio Hotel Management system onboard.
Learn and maintain procedures for Latitudes Program: Learn and update Fidelio computer program each voyage to include members who may have sailed previously. 
Implement mail merges each voyage with repeaters list to send to cabins Welcome Letter and Party invitation. Provide front desk with extra copies. Promote hours for Latitude members to register in the Freestyle Daily program.
Host special cocktail reception as a tool for our program’s exposure, must attend weekly. Assist to ensure adequate participation from all departments. Assist to maintain inventory of Latitudes supplies (letterhead and collateral).
Monitor that the Destinations channel is consistent with written schedule given to Broadcast Tech on the ship IE: Destinations, CruiseNext, Taped Talks or other videos / presentations as directed by shore side management.
If applicable (varies by itinerary) assist with promotion of stores / brands / clients under contract with the company. Responsibilities will include helping with Port & Shopping talks in front of a live audience scheduled through Cruise Director and Freestyle Daily program; scheduled office hours to interact one-on-one with passengers, early morning duty at ship’s gangway to direct passengers going ashore to specific client partners. You may at times have to collect monies from clients as directed through accounting administration. Interaction with clients to improve sales from passengers.
Ability to step in and function as CCM if and when necessary.

• Like 1

One thing I was surprised that they do NOT do is help book another cruise while you are on one. I liked an itinerary I saw in the presentation, and went to them to ask if I could book it and they told me to wait until we were back and call or do it online myself.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sundiego said:

I've been reading different threads where posters have mentioned reaching out to the CruiseNext staff for help with specialty dining coupons, water for stateroom and other things not related to future cruises. I thought they only handled selling the CruiseNext deposits along with general info on future sailings. So are they responsible for things beyond future cruise sailings?

~Denise

A major portion of their duties relate to serving as travel agents on board.  Future cruises booked by Cruise Next staff while you currently are on board have a distinct price advantage.  You can pay for the cheapest room in a category, Balcony for example, but be assigned the most costly stateroom in that category.  That advantage keeps the staff busy booking new cruises for passengers.  The staff also coordinates and facilitates many of the benefits afforded to Latitudes members who have reached certain levels of membership.  These include conducting Behind the Scenes tours, hosting the Latitudes cocktail party, arranging the wine tastings, etc.

13 minutes ago, rjm11 said:

One thing I was surprised that they do NOT do is help book another cruise while you are on one. I liked an itinerary I saw in the presentation, and went to them to ask if I could book it and they told me to wait until we were back and call or do it online myself.

8 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

A major portion of their duties relate to serving as travel agents on board.  Future cruises booked by Cruise Next staff while you currently are on board have a distinct price advantage. 

IMHO, one of the major drawbacks of the internet forum is just how easily you can get contradictory information in a place that purports to be factual.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sundiego said:

~Denise

Everything you mention is part of their role in running the on-ship Latitudes frequent cruiser program.

Upper tier Latitudes members are entitled to onboard benefits which are administered by the Cruise Next department. For example, you would go to the Cruise Next desk on embarkation day to sign up for your free behind the scenes tour,  dinner with the officers, wine tasting, and mixology class. Cruise Next representatives actually run the behind the scenes tour to the galley, laundry, theater and sometimes provisions and environmental areas (depending on ship) versus ShoreEx who run the paid tours. Cruise Next is also the place you go if you have a problem with any of your Latitudes benefits like the ones you mentioned for upper tier members (free bottles of water, free specialty dining vouchers, free laundry vouchers, free choco strawberries) . 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

IMHO, one of the major drawbacks of the internet forum is just how easily you can get contradictory information in a place that purports to be factual.

Sure, especially wrt to COVID protocols. About 30% of the "advice" provided on CC is incorrect because it is just wrong (people parroting something they think they read on the internet - E.g., "you don't have to test any longer for any cruise") or out of date.

I cruise every other month and try to keep up with changes,,, but even I get things wrong. And am happy when someone correct me so I am more up to date. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

A major portion of their duties relate to serving as travel agents on board.  Future cruises booked by Cruise Next staff while you currently are on board have a distinct price advantage.  You can pay for the cheapest room in a category, Balcony for example, but be assigned the most costly stateroom in that category.  That advantage keeps the staff busy booking new cruises for passengers.  The staff also coordinates and facilitates many of the benefits afforded to Latitudes members who have reached certain levels of membership.  These include conducting Behind the Scenes tours, hosting the Latitudes cocktail party, arranging the wine tastings, etc.

Have you actually experienced this first hand? I am wondering how that would even work for Club Balcony or Haven which is what we typically book.

~Denise

40 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Everything you mention is part of their role in running the on-ship Latitudes frequent cruiser program.

Upper tier Latitudes members are entitled to onboard benefits which are administered by the Cruise Next department. For example, you would go to the Cruise Next desk on embarkation day to sign up for your free behind the scenes tour,  dinner with the officers, wine tasting, and mixology class. Cruise Next representatives actually run the behind the scenes tour to the galley, laundry, theater and sometimes provisions and environmental areas (depending on ship) versus ShoreEx who run the paid tours. Cruise Next is also the place you go if you have a problem with any of your Latitudes benefits like the ones you mentioned for upper tier members (free bottles of water, free specialty dining vouchers, free laundry vouchers, free choco strawberries) . 

Thank you Bird! We are platinum and I had no idea they are a resource.

7 minutes ago, Sundiego said:

Have you actually experienced this first hand? I am wondering how that would even work for Club Balcony or Haven which is what we typically book.

~Denise

It works with all categories up to club suite.

However, it only applies to room types that end with a letter, so they can’t upgrade you to things like aft rooms or large balconies 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sundiego said:

~Denise

Yes, several times.  We usually travel in Balcony staterooms and I think the upgrade offer only is available for Inside, Ocean View, and Balcony.  I don't think it applies to Suites or the Haven.  I'm not sure if it is available for Club Balconies.

• Thanks 1

I have found their usefulness varies dramatically from ship to ship.   Some are wonderfully helpful with whatever you need, and those on the Star last week were not really interested in doing much other than selling CN certificates.  Even the future cruise presentation was extremely rushed and he would take no questions.

as I said in a thread on another topic earlier, consistency has not been NCLs strong suit lately.  ☹️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, GaryWT said:

All I know is they call your stateroom once or twice everyday bothering you while on vacation.  Pain in the butts.  

They never called us! But when checking our onboard account via the TV screen, I did notice they left about 4 messages per day, all saying pretty much the same thing 🙄