Changes Cafe al Bacio

whirlybird3

7 hours ago, calicakes said:

On our Reflection cruise 2 weeks ago, I brought an Aeropress and my own organic coffee.  I made it at night and then made iced coffee in the morning. 

I use to bring one with me.   Mine was made of stainless and for some reason the security guys seeing a metal cylinder with a plunger on it always opened my suitcase to inspect and left a little note saying my bag had been hand inspected.   I stopped carrying it.

19 hours ago, GORDONCHICK said:

The ones at LaMadeleine are a study, almost shortbread-ish crust.  Maybe it's the moisture of a fridge?

Could be... Try them and if don't hold up just grab a couple each afternoon.  

38 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I use to bring one with me.   Mine was made of stainless and for some reason the security guys seeing a metal cylinder with a plunger on it always opened my suitcase to inspect and left a little note saying my bag had been hand inspected.   I stopped carrying it.

You were the inspiration for bringing it.

2 hours ago, calicakes said:

You were the inspiration for bringing it.

I have replace my original with a plastic version  and so far it has escaped inspection.    Last cruise we asked early and our butler was able to find a Tea Kettle that we kept for all 3 cruises.   On B2B day we just put it on top of the suitecase with the extension cord and they moved it all. 

The lemon tarts are my favorite, too.  Hate the meringue topping that they use sometimes - it doesn’t have the taste or texture of a traditional meringue.  I just lift it off and enjoy the tart without it.

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have replace my original with a plastic version  and so far it has escaped inspection.    Last cruise we asked early and our butler was able to find a Tea Kettle that we kept for all 3 cruises.   On B2B day we just put it on top of the suitecase with the extension cord and they moved it all. 

Is there a difference between a kettle and a tea kettle? Always wondered! 

23 hours ago, CTSandy said:

The lemon tarts are my favorite, too.  Hate the meringue topping that they use sometimes - it doesn’t have the taste or texture of a traditional meringue.  I just lift it off and enjoy the tart without it.

Do the same...it has a funny bitter taste, but love the lemon part.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 11:17 AM, chimchimtx said:

I was the same way with lemon tarts.  I specifically searched them out bc of Jim’s posts.  I too like plain lemon. No whip.  He was right.  They were perfection.    Last week Equinox had them once and then they disappeared. Only had chocolate the rest of the entire 9 day cruise.

Oh hells yeah. We happened upon those lemon tarts at the Captain's Club celebration in the Sky Lounge and oh boy, after the first one there weren't enough guys walking around with them.

On 10/1/2022 at 8:12 AM, Lena11033 said:

I'll remember that. The iced tea I had was just sugar on sugar which is too much for me - even at home when I make drinks it's sugar free coffee/tea or I'm drinking water so sugary drinks are too much for me

Ugh. We're northerners so when we say "iced tea" we mean unsweetened cold tea. In the south "iced tea" means what they also call "sweet tea" which is what you had. It's way too much for my palate and blood sugar. In the US if I request "unsweet tea" or "unsweetened iced tea" I will usually get what I'm looking for, which I tend to do these days no matter where I am just to make sure. I think that in the north the tea default changed to some degree when McDonald's started serving sweet tea. Since they are EVERYWHERE (at least in the US) they (sadly) set a standard of some sort.

On 10/2/2022 at 12:44 PM, shirazcruiser said:

Good idea...I love lemon meringue tarts...I'll ask our butler too!  

Now THAT.... that is a good idea.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 7:25 PM, CTSandy said:

Me too...  One of the barista's told me she does the same.     If find their meringue too sweet and takes away from the tart flavor of the lemon.    Don't get me wrong -  I've also popped them in my mouth Meringue and all. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 12:10 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Those of us in the desert Southwest put a bunch of bags in a gallon jar and set it out in the sun for 6-8 hours.  Remove the bags and chill.  Most of us add fresh lemon to our tea.  No sugar.

I like hot tea strong with milk and sugar.  Maybe a result of time in Australia? 

Glory be, you just described DH's favorite way to make ice tea!!  (A wee bit strange for this British Canuck 🙂 )