Inside cabin after years of Verandas

SLKB

The "free" inside cabin deal has me considering a 9-day Southern Caribbean cruise.  We're near 4 star mariners, but have never booked anything smaller than a Veranda.  Help me understand the I, J, K, L, etc. designations.  Specifically on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  Am I correct that an I category is going to be the most spacious, square configuration that includes a sofa?

The J- and K-category cabins on Main Deck are huge. Yes, they have a couch which comfortably seats 2 people; can probably seat three if they don't sprawl. 
There is a/are some I-category cabins that are as you describe, but I don't know which one(s) they may be. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SLKB said:

Help me understand the I, J, K, L, etc. designations.  Specifically on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  Am I correct that an I category is going to be the most spacious, square configuration that includes a sofa?

I don't believe any of the "I"s are the Super-K and some J's on the Main Deck. I opted out of a Guarantee on the Nieuw Amsterdam, with a mailorder Travel Agent, when I realized I might end up in an I on upper deck with only a single desk chair for seating.

In theory, the lower the Alphabet designation the better the cabin. In fact, they have changed the designations so that they can put guarantees into less desirable cabins and still claim they have "upgraded" you.

I have sailed small insides for short cruises. Koningsdam 12 days, Zuiderdam 4 days and various NCL and Princess inside cabins, even once in a Carnival quad with two teenage nieces.  For anything under two weeks and in the port intensive Caribbean it is not a problem.  Since it is a guarantee I would not expect a sofa. 

• Like 1

The J and K cabins on the Nieuw Amsterdam are bigger than most inside cabins on other cruise lines. But some of the J cabins on the port side are under the BB King stage, so you would need to pay attention on which cabin to book.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I don't believe any of the "I"s are the Super-K and some J's on the Main Deck.

Yes, there are some super large I-cat cabins on the Vista and Signature ships; a friend was in one once. They are ever-so-slightly larger than the J- and K-cabins on Main Deck. 
The large I-cabins are on one particular deck; I just don't remember which deck he was on that cruise. 

One thing I have done on cruises is take a tour around some of the decks to look inside some cabins when the stewards have the doors open for cleaning. Sometimes you can get a really good idea of where you do (or don't) want to book next time. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

The J and K cabins on the Nieuw Amsterdam are bigger than most inside cabins on other cruise lines. But some of the J cabins on the port side are under the BB King stage, so you would need to pay attention on which cabin to book.

Good point about the noise coming down from BB King's on some port side cabins! 
There are a few cabins very close to the atrium that are fine, as well as many others more forward; about 3-5 to stay away from to avoid BB King's sound. 
Unless you like to stay out late, of course! 

Don't be fooled that since the entrance to that lounge is on starboard, you should avoid that side. It doesn't work that way. The entrance may be on starboard, but the bandstand is on port side. 

• Like 1

Thanks for this information about the cabins under the BB King bar/stage, RuthC and crystalspin. I was in the Westerdam in a J cabin years ago and was so happy with the size of the cabin. So I happily booked J1064 for an upcoming cruise in the Eurodam. Is there any chance that is one of the quiet few close to the atrium, as you mentioned? Or should I plan to party late?

51 minutes ago, CMDE said:

So I happily booked J1064 for an upcoming cruise in the Eurodam. Is there any chance that is one of the quiet few close to the atrium, as you mentioned?

It looks to me that it will be your choice every night. I believe that cabin is just outside the BB King range of influence. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CMDE said:

Thanks for this information about the cabins under the BB King bar/stage, RuthC and crystalspin. I was in the Westerdam in a J cabin years ago and was so happy with the size of the cabin. So I happily booked J1064 for an upcoming cruise in the Eurodam. Is there any chance that is one of the quiet few close to the atrium, as you mentioned? Or should I plan to party late?

You are under the Queen's Lounge, but seating area not band-stand. I think you'll be OK, but maybe take earplugs JUST IN CASE?!!

• Like 1

We now book inside rooms after doing verandas for many years, and then we pay for the Retreat Cabana at $399/7 days and find it a much better option for us and a huge cost savings. The interior rooms are tiny, as others have mentioned above.

• Like 1