Internet upgrade: Is it worth it?

TampaGambler

We are staying in the haven and have the internet package, we don’t need to steam anything but may need to look up something for our business on the computer or receive text messages, will the upgraded interest be fine? Should we upgrade all the way up to premium? 

25 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Only you can answer that for yourself.  For some passengers even the FAS WiFI is totally useless.  To other the  best WiFi package is barely enough.  BTW WiFi does NOT include text messages.

Some carriers allow you to send and receive text messages over wifi. 

Edited by fastpitchdad

6 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Only you can answer that for yourself.  For some passengers even the FAS WiFI is totally useless.  To other the  best WiFi package is barely enough.  BTW WiFi does NOT include text messages.

I didn't expect to get text messages, but I do.  I get text messages from people that have iphones (like me)... but I will usually just contact people (my kids) via fb messenger.

We are sailing 10 days in November.  We are not paying for the additional wifi ($200 per person?? wha???) we each have 150 minutes...15 minutes a day is more than I need online...lol... for those of you on limited time, like us...here's a wifi tip:  have a plan.... I usually log in, update my email, check stupid fb and anything else I need to do (quickly) and then log off.... then I will read my emails (off-line) read fb posts (off-line) and type up any necessary replies and make any necessary fb post...then log back in to send the emails/fb posts, etc... then we spend that $400 on more useful things...like excursions and having a good time on our vacation 😉 

Of course, I totally understand about being self employed and having to keep up with day to day business dealings...just be aware that some parts of the ship will have better reception than others... (aft balconies usually have terrible wifi, IMO)

WORTH it?  Not really.  But if you need it, you need it.  I have to get it because I need to stay in touch with work and, since I'm also getting Premium Plus beverages and all specialty dining, I went with Free at Sea Plus.  

• Like 1

It also depends on how many sea days you'll have. We were just on a 10 day cruise a few weeks back and between our FAS minutes and all the ports of call, we had plenty of internet for our needs with tons of minutes to spare.

We only really used our minutes on sea days to pop online and check email, make sure nothing exploded at work, send a quick post to FB to let family & friends know we were fine and where we were in the world, etc. Data intensive things like uploading photos or videos is best saved for port days using your mobile carrier. 

So again, depends on what is important for you to be able to do at sea, and how many of those sea days you'll have. 

• Like 1

Luckily, we have Iphones, so we get Imessages on the ship..

Last question, do they offer unlimited internet mid sailing for say half the price? We both have the free minutes, so expect that could last us a while with us being able to use out phones when we get land on port days.. I was also thinking about using the minutes to see how long they would last and then purchasing the internet. 

WiFi discussions while on a cruise make me glad I’m not all that important. The World will revolve without my input for a week or so. 

If my friends etc want to know where I’m at, they can check Cruisemapper or various other sites.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

Worth it or not to upgrade the WiFi is a popular discussion topic here on NCL and with other cruise lines, subjective & highly personal, to each her/his own.  Case in point, one of the nieces were onboard one of the Royal ships in Alaska last month & would not spent $25 for a single day unlimited WiFi pass ... "too expensive" out of pocket.   We hold-off upgrading one of our 150 "free" minutes until 00:01 on Day Two, for the remaining 6 days, offset by non-refundable OBC - cost was "$80" and not a big deal for 6 days worth of unlimited basic WiFi access; plus, we retained use of the other 150 "free minutes" on additional devices & use it up when both of us "needed it" and didn't wish to bump the other person offline.  It is more than sufficient and adequate to do SMS or text messaging and browse online.  

Is it fast, no ... not at all, not even close as it's satellite at sea with 600ms latency & signal bouncing thousand of miles for relayed switching to land-based i.p. addresses.  Costs is relative to how important it is to each person ... afterall, the typical shorex prices for 2 - even with the "freebies" tossed in, much more than the "enjoyment" from having nearly "always on" WiFi access while at sea for the duration.   Some folks spent more $$ for the beverage/plus packages, others "gifted" money for spa access, and yet others blasted away at the game room or raceway ... whatever make you feel happy, or just consider it as "tipping" extra for special services, like handling out green bucks to the butler and concierge team.  

• 2 weeks later...

Please clarify this Unlimited Wi-Fi upgrade to me.

I have paid the upgrade (roughly 220 USD/15 nights cruise) I got it showing in NCLs my summary ''purchased'' I thought this is only for me. However it shows unavailable to my wife.

Is she also included or only one person per cabin can upgrade?

If she is also covered does she get separate login password or do we share  same passwords in the cabin?

37 minutes ago, Aimeskip said:

How does my iPhone get the i-messages.  Do I connect to ships wifi? I know I have to turn on airplane mode but all of this really confuses me. Sometimes I miss my flip phone. 🤪

Don’t put your phone in airplane mode unless you are trying to avoid getting any messages from anyone.   Not only will airplane mode block all wifi signals, it will kill your cellular reception, turn off your bluetooth, and on some phones even block GPS triangulation.  

Airplane mode basically turns your phone into a nightlight.  

33 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

Don’t put your phone in airplane mode unless you are trying to avoid getting any messages from anyone.   Not only will airplane mode block all wifi signals, it will kill your cellular reception, turn off your bluetooth, and on some phones even block GPS triangulation.  

What are you talking about? You should always put your phone in airplane mode to avoid roaming fees. 

In September we did get the unlimited streaming Wi-Fi as my husband decided to work on the cruise (I know MotownVoice - adorbs). We kept our phones in airplane mode, turned Wi-Fi on and used the phone. When he was working, he was able to participate in Zoom video calls, update all his spreadsheets, and do the rest of the work he needed to. 

When he wasn't using Wi-Fi to work, I was able to use it to do my Cruise Critic live, uploading all the photos I wanted. We also were able to watch reels, YouTube, and do anything else we wanted. I was pleasantly surprised with the unlimited streaming package. I do understand it varies based on where in the world you are and what ship you're on. 

We were on the Getaway from NYC, down to the Bahamas, and back, so pretty close to mainland USA for the entirety of our cruise. 

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

What are you talking about? You should always put your phone in airplane mode to avoid roaming fees. 

Not when you are expecting to receive messages.  If you want to put it in to APM after you've retrieved the messages you are expecting, then that would be the time to do it.

Aimeskip was asking "How does my iPhone get the i-messages."  

3 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

everything about this post is incorrect, sheesh

• Haha 1

Well, perhaps I'm missing something else and stand corrected.  We use both Android smartphone (V11, V12 and latest V13) and iPhone (iOS 16.x) - it is perfectly fine to put the devices into Airplane mode, AND, then turn back on - individually, Bluetooth and WiFi, and, NFC - as these "radios" can function & operate independently on their own while the device remained otherwise in Airplane mode, that - mainly, disabled and turned off the "Cellular" radios or modules (as in "roaming" voice calls in non-home rate areas.)  

We're connected to NCL ship's WiFi inTRAnet just fine in airplane mode, and certain messaging features remained functional, as least in the limited sense, able to read in-bound message "headers" - of course, YMMV.  Not going into details about VoLTE and WiFi calling or VoIP tech's ... 

BTW, we love Google Fi - "roaming" at nominal costs in 200 countries ... hundreds in excessive charges, not happening.  Max in data charges capped at $60 for a single month + taxes/fees, and has yet to come anywhere close to it.  

Edited by mking8288

1 minute ago, MotownVoice said:

Really?

Why don't you explain to the class how your phone is going to receive a single message when its data and cellular signal is turned off.

(I can't wait to hear this one)

You don't require cellular data to receive iMessage's, this includes enabling airplane mode. All you need is a wifi connection. There isn't much more explaining needed on this topic, its quite simple. 

1 minute ago, divincenzo said:

You don't require cellular data to receive iMessage's, this includes enabling airplane mode. All you need is a wifi connection. There isn't much more explaining needed on this topic, its quite simple. 

A wifi connection requires that you not be in Airplane mode.

Why is this so hard?

45 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

Not when you are expecting to receive messages.  If you want to put it in to APM after you've retrieved the messages you are expecting, then that would be the time to do it.

Aimeskip was asking "How does my iPhone get the i-messages."  

I don't know how iPhones works. I stay away from those things. I know that my Samsung Android phone received text messages when Airplane mode is turned on, but when I do have Wi-Fi on (even when not connected to the ship's Wi-Fi in the middle of the ocean). I suppose iPhones could be different, but I'd be surprised if they are.