Balcony chairs on Beyond

mfs2k

I'm discouraged seeing photos/videos of the balcony chairs on a Beyond Sky suite.  We're sailing in this category in 3 weeks. I like to spend a lot of time hanging out on the balcony, particulary when my wife is getting ready for dinner.  Those chairs don't look comfortable for extended periods.  A nap on a balcony at sea is also quite sweet. Those aren't napping chairs. 

Do you think the room steward would replace one of the chairs with a lounge chair or a more comfortable reclining type chair?  I'dbring a few of my own sling camping chairs with me, since we are driving to the port and I'd throw them away at the end of the cruise.  But...  They're probably a fire hazard and wouldnt be allowed on the balcony or security might be afraid they could blow off the ship in the wind. Could I get away with it if I packed them in a hockey equipment duffle bag? 

Many years ago, on a Carnival cruise, I went up to the pool deck very early in the morning and carried down to our cabin a pool lounge chair and kept it on our balcony all week.  It was great.   

balcony.thumb.jpg.2abc91c58488b9c5cf9a964f7a8f07dd.jpg

37 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Many years ago, on a Carnival cruise, I went up to the pool deck very early in the morning and carried down to our cabin a pool lounge chair and kept it on our balcony all week.  It was great.

This brings a whole new meaning to the term, "chair hog" 😂 I'm literally dying right now.

I can only imagine what the interaction might be if you run into a crew member.  *carries a lounge chair down the hallway and a crew member walks by* "Excuse me, can I help you with anything?" "Oh, don't mind me.  I'm just bringing this to my balcony" 🤣

Edited by NorthStarStateCruiser
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

I can only imagine what the interaction might be if you run into a crew member.  *carries a lounge chair down the hallway and a crew member walks by* "Excuse me, can I help you with anything?" "Oh, don't mind me.  I'm just bringing this to my balcony" 🤣

Basically accurate.  But it was a Carnival ship and I think this wasnt as crazy as other things they were looking out for. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, canderson said:

@mfs2k

I gotta ask re your Carnival experience...

Stairs or elevator?  Trying to picture the latter and laughing!

Stairs.  If I remember correctly, it was only one or 2 flights and a quick walk to the cabin. It really wasn't much more difficult than moving my own backyard furniture around. 

Edited by mfs2k

26 minutes ago, jelayne said:

The 2 nd photo is the Aft Sky suite  and the balcony is considerably larger than a Sky Suite balcony on the sides of the ship.

If you look at the first pic, there's definitely room for one of those lounge chairs.  I'm guessing the decision to use those smaller chairs was made due to "design over function", budget, or supply chain.

Even one lounge sideways fits, but may not look wonderful.

I agree those chairs don't look very inviting.  I like to sit back and put my feet up and be comfortable.  There aren't any footrests and the skinny metal pole for an arm doesn't look comfortable.  

I hope they 'might' be better in person.  ???

They look like a complete afterthought. 

That table too.  🤦‍♀️

🍹

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PinkSandGirl said:

I agree those chairs don't look very inviting.  I like to sit back and put my feet up and be comfortable.  There aren't any footrests and the skinny metal pole for an arm doesn't look comfortable.  

You have to keep in mind that they were selected by someone who admits she'd never spent a single day on a cruise ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm How far away is the pool deck from deck 10?? Might have to carry down a lounge chair at 6am. 

It's 3 decks down and about 25 cabins away from the stairs.  It's doable.

Edited by mfs2k
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

You have to keep in mind that they were selected by someone who admits she'd never spent a single day on a cruise ship.

I blame Celebrity as well for choosing her and for signing off on all of it.  She should have had to and wanted to spend time in different cabin categories.

That all makes too much sense though.  😆

I haven't experienced these chairs yet.  I will in a few weeks.  I'll keep an open mind and if they are better than expected,  I will say it but if they don't,  I'll say that too.  😉

🍹

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PinkSandGirl said:

I hope they 'might' be better in person.  ???

They look like a complete afterthought. 

That table too.  🤦‍♀️

🍹

Couldn't agree more about that table!!  It *might* hold a couple beers and a small dish of snacks...but that's it. Might fit breakfast for one...

Wow...this is not a convincing selling point for booking that Beyond Sky suites...unless you get the aft balcony...

Don't think any of the tables from the pool deck would fit...

I have to say:  it’s pretty lame to spend a fortune on a sky suite on a 9 night cruise on the newest ship in the fleet, and I’m seriously contemplating bringing my own patio furniture to be comfortable. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, mfs2k said:

I was thinking of bringing my own. This rolls up pretty compactly. 9FAD3A81-D848-4250-A318-494348A30665.thumb.jpeg.ff33f5181dd6727f6b411020bc5a7b5a.jpeg

Yes, I saw that when you posted it elsewhere...at least I think it was you...lol...but I forget what thread. 

I found it (like you said) on Amazon...may purchase it for my upcoming Caribbean cruise...I plan on spending a lot of time around beach areas...hopefully in out of the way places...I'll cart in my refreshments...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

I have to say:  it’s pretty lame to spend a fortune on a sky suite on a 9 night cruise on the newest ship in the fleet, and I’m seriously contemplating bringing my own patio furniture to be comfortable. 

Most sensible post on this thread, and that's not saying much. Agree with post #14, the chairs are quite comfortable.

33 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Most sensible post on this thread, and that's not saying much. Agree with post #14, the chairs are quite comfortable.

Providing a snooze in the sea air isn't the objective.  A chair is a chair when it comes to that.

We bid our way up from a Beyond sky suite to a royal suite for 9 days. My polite requests for a lounger were rejected by the steward, the butler, and the butler's boss. No matter. The standard chairs turned out to be very comfortable. Better, my view was never blocked by the railing on the veranda. (That is a rarity given my height.) There was ample room for drinks and snacks between the two chairs on the smallish table. When I wanted to lounge, I left the door and curtains open and stretched out on the bed. Zero complaints (other than the fact that one of the wifi controlled electric curtains kept malfunctioning and required several repair attempts by the engineers.)

13 minutes ago, SailingHigher said:

My polite requests for a lounger were rejected by the steward, the butler, and the butler's boss.

Did they give a reason or did they just say no? 

Possible reasons:

• There aren't enough for everyone
  • We don't have any at all.
  • The design calls for chairs and not loungers and we're not allowed to change that.
  • They are fire hazards
  • A boss sent a memo in May saying "Dont put lounge chairs in sky suite balconies."
  • We want you to be uncomfortable.
  •  

2 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Another possible reason

taking lounge chairs from the pool area reduces chairs available for guests who do not have a balcony to sit outside.

this is true! Which means they didn't order enough lounge chairs.  

Edited by mfs2k

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 10:39 AM, mfs2k said:

Did they give a reason or did they just say no? 

Possible reasons:

• There aren't enough for everyone
  • We don't have any at all.
  • The design calls for chairs and not loungers and we're not allowed to change that.
  • They are fire hazards
  • A boss sent a memo in May saying "Dont put lounge chairs in sky suite balconies."
  • We want you to be uncomfortable.
  •  

They all said, a lounger really wouldn't fit and so we don't have them for you. This surprised me for a Royal Suite veranda on their fleet's newest ship.