Luggage storage San Diego- multi day

Cruise NH

We’ll be arriving in San Diego on a cruise and then depart on another cruise about 10 days later.  Some of that time we’ll be in San Diego but we also plan to go up to LA, etc.  

The problem is, what to do with our excess luggage while we travel.  I know there are some companies that use stores and the like for storage as a business model but I don’t like it that idea.

We just want to safely store our luggage for several days.  This would be in January’23 if that makes a difference.

thanks.

1 hour ago, Cruise NH said:

We’ll be arriving in San Diego on a cruise and then depart on another cruise about 10 days later.  Some of that time we’ll be in San Diego but we also plan to go up to LA, etc.  

The problem is, what to do with our excess luggage while we travel.  I know there are some companies that use stores and the like for storage as a business model but I don’t like it that idea.

We just want to safely store our luggage for several days.  This would be in January’23 if that makes a difference.

Sometimes a nicer full service hotel will store these for you if you are departing and have a confirmed return reservation within a couple weeks. I used to frequently do this traveling to London from New York-- it's nothing official, just something you need to work out with them. I would tip generously and my bags were always waiting in my new room when I returned. 

Personally I would just rent a large SUV that could take it all and just throw it in the back and drive up to LA. Keeping it with you, even if it's locked inside of a car would most likely be the most secure way. 

Outside of that all I can really think of is see if you could get a weekly rate on a self storage unit. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Sometimes a nicer full service hotel will store these for you if you are departing and have a confirmed return reservation within a couple weeks. I used to frequently do this traveling to London from New York-- it's nothing official, just something you need to work out with them. I would tip generously and my bags were always waiting in my new room when I returned. 

Personally I would just rent a large SUV that could take it all and just throw it in the back and drive up to LA. Keeping it with you, even if it's locked inside of a car would most likely be the most secure way. 

Outside of that all I can really think of is see if you could get a weekly rate on a self storage unit. 

I did think of the hotel idea but thought it might be a pretty big ASK, so it’s good to hear it worked for you.  I don’t think we want to deal with driving in LA or trying to find parking.  

There are so many left luggage places in Europe, it’s frustrating we don’t have them here,

Thanks for posting.

3 minutes ago, Cruise NH said:

I don’t think we want to deal with driving in LA or trying to find parking.  

LA is pretty difficult to do without your own car unless you plan on staying in one spot for most of the time or willing to spend a lot on Uber/car service etc. Not to mention getting to and from San Diego. 

Renting a car and bringing my bags with me would still be my preferred method of accomplishing what you are suggesting doing. 

• Like 1

An aspect of this that occurs to me is to downsize your packing. 

How were you planning to visit LA if not in a rental car? Honestly asking. California is all about the freeways, not so much by public transport. It can be done... (ps Utah now, forty years in Orange County.)

11 hours ago, crystalspin said:

An aspect of this that occurs to me is to downsize your packing. 

How were you planning to visit LA if not in a rental car? Honestly asking. California is all about the freeways, not so much by public transport. It can be done... (ps Utah now, forty years in Orange County.)

Well we were going to take the train 🚂…but you probably know what happened to that. Just heard it on the news so our plans will change.  I was going to use Uber to get around, maybe even the metro.  Now we might have to go with a car after all.  Just have to find a hotel where parking doesn’t cost the same as a room.

3 hours ago, Cruise NH said:

Well we were going to take the train 🚂…but you probably know what happened to that. Just heard it on the news so our plans will change.  I was going to use Uber to get around, maybe even the metro.  Now we might have to go with a car after all.  Just have to find a hotel where parking doesn’t cost the same as a room.

I had not heard about the train "emergency repair" until I googled it! Bummer for people who use it as their daily commute...

I get that you're coming all the way across the country and feel you want to see LA as part of it, but you could honestly spend 10 days in San Diego area (within Uber or taxi distances) and not be bored. 

25 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I had not heard about the train "emergency repair" until I googled it! Bummer for people who use it as their daily commute...

I get that you're coming all the way across the country and feel you want to see LA as part of it, but you could honestly spend 10 days in San Diego area (within Uber or taxi distances) and not be bored. 

We love San Diego and have been there several times before so we’re looking further afield.  

I agree with you though, there are several days worth of things to do there.

I was going to use Uber to get around, maybe even the metro.

I get what you're saying, and sometimes when flying in and out of LA with a 2-3 day stay I don't rent a car and just Uber around. If you aren't going many places it can work out but even the Ubers add up quickly there especially if you were sightseeing and covering different parts of the city. You also vastly overestimate the convenience and usability of the Metro for sightseeing-- to get to major tourist things like lets say Santa Monica to Universal City-- it takes transfers which take a bunch of time. Jumping in a a car or Uber is way more convenient. 

Just have to find a hotel where parking doesn’t cost the same as a room.

Options exist. Even nice hotels in places like Santa Monica or Beverly Hills, where valet parking can be $30-50 a night, there are garages right down the street that are significantly less if you're willing to spend a little extra time to use them. LA is a car town-- everyone drives everywhere. There are usually lower cost alternatives to parking just about anywhere and most restaurants/museums/stores you visit during the day will validate your parking for either free or significantly discounted-- don't forget to ask. 

4 minutes ago, Cruise NH said:

We love San Diego and have been there several times before so we’re looking further afield.  

OIC! We actually went into LA infrequently from OC, so I will let others to the suggesting.

7 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I get what you're saying, and sometimes when flying in and out of LA with a 2-3 day stay I don't rent a car and just Uber around. If you aren't going many places it can work out but even the Ubers add up quickly there especially if you were sightseeing and covering different parts of the city. You also vastly overestimate the convenience and usability of the Metro for sightseeing-- to get to major tourist things like lets say Santa Monica to Universal City-- it takes transfers which take a bunch of time. Jumping in a a car or Uber is way more convenient. 

Options exist. Even nice hotels in places like Santa Monica or Beverly Hills, where valet parking can be $30-50 a night, there are garages right down the street that are significantly less if you're willing to spend a little extra time to use them. LA is a car town-- everyone drives everywhere. There are usually lower cost alternatives to parking just about anywhere and most restaurants/museums/stores you visit during the day will validate your parking for either free or significantly discounted-- don't forget to ask. 

I can see us staying out in Santa Monica actually.  Downtown LA isn’t interesting, Hollywood seems kind of creepy and we can’t afford Beverly Hills.  Once we pin down exactly what we want to do we’ll look at our options.  Thanks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You can check with local hotels and see if they offer storage service. The luggage will be stored in the back of the hotel and you can collect it anytime you wish to check in. This is a convenient option. Or you can leave your luggage in the storage unit. I have done this many times in many cities and never had any problem. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/5/2022 at 11:40 AM, Cruise NH said:

You are going to love San Diego even more after you've spent a lovely 10 days in Los Angeles.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  We decided to rent a car and head out to Arizona for a while then come back to San Diego for a few days.  We always THINK we should visit LA but then when we start thinking about what we would actually do there...we come up with next to nothing.  We'd much rather explore some parts of AZ and do some hiking.

Thanks again.

• Like 1