Please suggest tours or places to go and see while in Tasmania for the day

Fieldofdreams

On 12/23/2022 at 9:14 PM, possum52 said:

What ship and when will you be in Hobart? You may be best to hire a car if you are happy to drive on the opposite side of the road that you are used to as many tours to Port Arthur will leave Hobart either before or around the time your ship is due to arrive in port. Perhaps check out Viator or Tripadvisor for some information. This link may help - Port Arthur Tours

The Avis rental office is about a 10 minute or so walk from the cruise terminal. The one problem I can see with renting a car is the time the office closes to return the vehicle.

If it was me I would be looking at a ship's excursion if available.

We will be on the Noordam and in Hobart on March 7.  I did do a lot of searching on sites like Trip Advisor, and I see very few reviews by people that have taken the tours.  So that is why I was asking here.

We have no problem renting car and driving on the left side...we have driven in the UK many times and will be renting a car in Picton, NZ on this cruise.  Maybe we will investigate that option for Hobart.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Hobart, in February 2020 and really enjoyed the tour to the Bonorong Wildlife Center.   They rehab native species, and there are many Kangaroos and Wallabies that cannot be re-introduced to the wild and they are available and around for you to feed and get up close.  They also had the best Tasmanian Devil display/demonstration.  Planning to go back when we get there in 2024.  There are local tour companies.   One offers tours to Mt. Field NP, along with Bonorong in 7 hours, so should fit in the port time between 8am and 5pm for us on the Volendam in 2024.

• 4 months later...
On 10/5/2022 at 4:01 AM, Mrs f. said:

First check your roll call to see what day shore excursions people are organizing.

We shall be in Hobart in January and I have organized a day trip with I Wander Tasmania.  We get a tour of Hobart, go up Mt Wellington and get to visit a couple of wineries.  

How did your tour turn out? Would you recommend it? @Mrs f.

14 minutes ago, journeymore said:

How did your tour turn out? Would you recommend it? @Mrs f.

We were all pleased.   Jared who owns I Wander Tasmania had 2 groups going that day.  Both up Mt Wellington and then to different places. We went to 3 wineries I think. everyone had a really good time. Jared was pretty good to deal with. 

We were also In Burnie for a day. Had originally planned a small group Chef's Tour but unfortunately the chef got covid several days befand we made the terrible decto take a ships tour (Oceania).  How on earth do you bring a big bus of 50 people to a cheese place and forget to tell the place you are coming?  That's why we never take ships tours

Edited by Mrs f.
Typo

14 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

We were all pleased.   Jared who owns I Wander Tasmania had 2 groups going that day.  Both up Mt Wellington and then to different places. We went to 3 wineries I think. everyone had a really good time. Jared was pretty good to deal with. 

We were also In Burnie for a day. Had originally planned a small group Chef's Tour but unfortunately the chef got covid several days befand we made the terrible decto take a ships tour (Oceania).  How on earth do you bring a big bus of 50 people to a cheese place and forget to tell the place you are coming?  That's why we never take ships tours

Thank you for answering. How many were in your group? We overnight in Hobart. I'm going to make contact with the tour operator. Thanks again for your help.

12 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

Also we were in Port Arthur.  It was amazing.   We booked several 1 hour tours directly with the prison site. Lots of walking. There were some golf carts that could be waved down if needed for the ride back to the Visitors Center.  We had 1 guide named Jett who basically "became" of the prisoners on the island....he spoke as if he was the prisoner and told how he kept trying to escape.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

Also we were in Port Arthur.  It was amazing.   We booked several 1 hour tours directly with the prison site. Lots of walking. There were some golf carts that could be waved down if needed for the ride back to the Visitors Center.  We had 1 guide named Jett who basically "became" of the prisoners on the island....he spoke as if he was the prisoner and told how he kept trying to escape.  

2 minutes ago, journeymore said:

Thank you for answering. How many were in your group? We overnight in Hobart. I'm going to make contact with the tour operator. Thanks again for your help.

I think I booked for 8 people. Might have been 6.  Everyone was able to pay Jared separately so I didn't have to collect money

Edited by Mrs f.
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 12:35 PM, Torquer said:

We will be on the Noordam and in Hobart on March 7.  I did do a lot of searching on sites like Trip Advisor, and I see very few reviews by people that have taken the tours.  So that is why I was asking here.

We have no problem renting car and driving on the left side...we have driven in the UK many times and will be renting a car in Picton, NZ on this cruise.  Maybe we will investigate that option for Hobart.

We are on the same cruise and are starting to look at the possibilities at each port.

• 2 weeks later...

Port Arthur, Mt Wellington and a Wildlife park (there are a few) are all, in my opinion must see, Cradle Mountain is wonderful but you use near on half a day getting there and back. Ross and Richmond are delightful villages where you feel you have gone back in time.

just wandering around Battery Point and Salamanca is a delight.

• Like 2