The Coronation

jangor

It now looks as though King Charles III will be coronated on June 3.  We have reservations for May 30-June1.  So far no one has changed our reservations or increased the price.  Is anyone else planning to cruise near this time and have you had any increased prices, cancellations or outrageous pricing?

It's generally expected that the coronation will be a fairly low key affair and there wont be a big military show. Most of the "action" will be in the Abbey and will be televised.

There will be pressure on hotels in central London that weekend, but you will be gone before then. I would expect your reservations to be honoured. I tried a sample booking for the night of June 3rd in a West End hotel and there was no problem.

Edited by Bob++

2 hours ago, jangor said:

Is anyone else planning to cruise near this time and have you had any increased prices, cancellations or outrageous pricing?

I hadn't yet thought about that, but it seems like a good idea: I'll let my family and friends know that they'll have to pay us more if they want to stay with us that weekend. 🙂

• Haha 2

On a separate note. I hear that accommodation prices in Liverpool have climbed towards stratospheric for dates around May 13 next year. I believe that there is some kind of music competition then.

On 10/7/2022 at 1:47 PM, jangor said:

It now looks as though King Charles III will be coronated on June 3.  We have reservations for May 30-June1.  So far no one has changed our reservations or increased the price.  Is anyone else planning to cruise near this time and have you had any increased prices, cancellations or outrageous pricing?

Nope. Announced today as May 6th.

If we have an additional holiday for the coronation, a pushed-out story today makes it sound more likely that it'll be Monday 8 May than Friday 5 May. The story is a slightly esoteric one about local authorities complaining that a holiday on 5 May could interfere with vote counting after the (local) elections that are scheduled to take place on Thursday 4 May. I wouldn't normally expect to see such an issue reported in this way unless someone been trying to make the point but has got fed up with not being listened to.

If the holiday is on Monday 8 May, then it's also an open question as to whether that will be done by moving the holiday on Monday 1 May back by a week, or whether we will end up having three Monday holidays in the same month, on 1, 8 and 29 May.