Is a Yellow fever certificate required? '

seaquay

11 hours ago, SFtraveller said:

Hi All! Booked on a west Africa cruise next year on Azamara. Was planning to get one traveller the yellow fever certificate with waiver. Because of the roll calls found out about denied boarding. Called up Azamara and found out, that it was official yesterday,  that we have to have the YF vaccination, as per the Ghana Port Authority, in order to embark on the cruise in Capetown or we will be denied boarding and loose all monies. There was no option to embark and remain on the ship for that port. Ghana website said vax had to be within 10 years. Though we know a lot has been written that they are good for life.  Someone from a similar itinerary did get confirmation from within Ghana that past 10 years is ok. But it would really helpful if they updated the Embassy website. Our only option is to cancel the cruise. 

Cilcianrts, what countries did you travel with your YF waiver in Africa? How did it go?

So, help me understand. You have to be YF vaxed to get into the country. Yet, those with waivers can still get in. Doesn't it defeat the point? And how does one travel throughout Africa - just hope that the border guard and country accept a waiver that day?

So far in a quick search I see there was an outbreak of YF in Ghana reported in 2021.

Heidi 13, learned a lot from your remarks thanks.

Vegas J and K, we still have not seen unofficial announcement from the company to us regarding this significant development. Also, they only made an official announcement they will help with visas on arrival in Aug or Sep - and the similar itinerary sales in a month.

It is most unfortunate that Ghana is reverting to the original standard for the YF Vaccine, which was 10-yrs. My first YF in 1975 was 10-yrs, but when getting my latest one in 2015, the travel medicine doctor advised that they are now accepted as being lifetime.

Since I am now over 65, I will not be receiving YF again, as the risks increase exponentially with age. By 2025, our travel option will sadly decrease.

Some countries with yellow fever may accept the waiver, but it is entirely at their discretion. Back in my days sailing on ships, we had to have every vaccination current when we signed on the ship, as some countries would not let the ship dock, if any crew member didn't meet the vaccination standard.

Thanks Heidi. So you know for a fact that the wording was different for Ghana before?

2025, you could still go into countries that acknowledge YF for life? Until one day they say no?

I was coming to the realization that to see Africa I'm now limited. And your response hit it on the head. I never would have thought that age and time would limit me. How to plan? Visit Embassy websites, to see those that accept YFV for life and try to do border crossings for those that are not clear?

You used to work on ships? Which ones?

5 hours ago, SFtraveller said:

Thanks Heidi. So you know for a fact that the wording was different for Ghana before?

2025, you could still go into countries that acknowledge YF for life? Until one day they say no?

I was coming to the realization that to see Africa I'm now limited. And your response hit it on the head. I never would have thought that age and time would limit me. How to plan? Visit Embassy websites, to see those that accept YFV for life and try to do border crossings for those that are not clear?

You used to work on ships? Which ones?

Unfortunately, I haven't sailed up the west coast of Africa, as we always used Suez, so I haven't been to Ghana.

I worked for P&O/Princess as Navigator, then spent almost 30 yrs as Captain on our local Ro/Pax.

My agent received the following reply from Viking when they asked if a yellow fever vaccination was needed for Jamaica after we had visited Panama

Thank you for your email. 

As the guests are over 60, they can obtain an exemption letter for the yellow fever vaccination.

If the guests require the yellow fever vaccination, we will of course notify the guests via your agency closer to the time of departure, however, currently we have not received any notification from our operations team that guests on this sailing require the yellow fever vaccination. 

So wait and see

We are on the Panama Canal cruise in December and have gotten confirmation from both our Viking rep and our TA that we must have the YF vaccination to disembark in Honduras after coming from Panama, and Honduras will NOT accept a waiver.  So if our physician recommends against the vaccine due to our ages and/or medical issues, we will stay onboard at that port.  Spa day?

On 10/12/2022 at 11:24 AM, Heidi13 said:

This is where it pays to be an informed consumer.

Personally, I don't book anything without reading and understanding the cancellation terms. If the financial risk is higher than our Visa travel insurance coverage, I purchase separate travel insurance.

Travel insurance, including Visa, requires that cancellation be for a covered reason. Failure to provide proper documentation is not covered.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2022 at 10:15 AM, vegasjandk said:

We are on the Panama Canal cruise in December and have gotten confirmation from both our Viking rep and our TA that we must have the YF vaccination to disembark in Honduras after coming from Panama, and Honduras will NOT accept a waiver.  So if our physician recommends against the vaccine due to our ages and/or medical issues, we will stay onboard at that port.  Spa day?

But...if Panamanian immigration gets all the passports and stamps, then Honduras will want the vac. (I don't think you could tell them not to stamp your passport.) Also, it isn't that you did not get off the ship. You are now surrounded by passengers who got off in a YF area. It may turn into a Spa week cruise. I would check to see if you can even embark on your cruise. 

We were told - unsupported documentation - that we could NOT even board our cruise unless we had the YF vac. We cancelled.

On 11/9/2022 at 1:10 AM, SFtraveller said:

But...if Panamanian immigration gets all the passports and stamps, then Honduras will want the vac. (I don't think you could tell them not to stamp your passport.) Also, it isn't that you did not get off the ship. You are now surrounded by passengers who got off in a YF area. It may turn into a Spa week cruise. I would check to see if you can even embark on your cruise. 

We were told - unsupported documentation - that we could NOT even board our cruise unless we had the YF vac. We cancelled.

Very interesting.  As of now, we are on track to get the vaccine next week at our health dept, with our doctors blessing.  

• Like 2

Just received an email that Yellow Fever vaccine is no longer a requirement for Honduras. 

"Honduras has revised its Yellow Fever vaccination requirement for travelers who visit Panama or South America prior to arrival in Honduras. A Yellow Fever vaccination is no longer required to enter Honduras. However, we recommend you consider a Yellow Fever vaccination ahead of your travels in the region."

• 2 months later...
On 11/21/2022 at 7:59 PM, knoxclone said:

I was on the Viking Star last week when Honduras changed the requirement.  At no time did anyone at all ask about my vaccination status for yellow fever, and all pax were allowed to disembark in Roatan if they desired. 

Just bumping this thread up as I just got some additional documents and updates from Viking for our Panama Canal cruise on March 7th

Now it says "We strongly recommend obtaining a vaccination for Yellow Fever" at least 10 days prior to enter Honduras. 

Guess we are not getting off the ship.   Sigh.... All we were going to do is wander over to Mahogany Bay. 

Any recent cruisers have further insight?  

If you are traveling to Honduras AFTER Panama, then it is required. If going the other way (Panama last) it is not required. We just finished Classic Panama Canal last week and did not get the yellow fever vaccine. No one asked or even brought it up. I called my doctor in advance and didn't think it was warranted (and he had just travelled to Panama without it as well). I wouldn't worry about it .

55 minutes ago, formernuke said:

If you are traveling to Honduras AFTER Panama, then it is required. If going the other way (Panama last) it is not required. We just finished Classic Panama Canal last week and did not get the yellow fever vaccine. No one asked or even brought it up. I called my doctor in advance and didn't think it was warranted (and he had just travelled to Panama without it as well). I wouldn't worry about it .

Thank you.  We are going to Honduras before Panama.   After your response, am just reading the fine print after the "strongly recommend" where it does make reference to visiting Panama first.  Phew....... 

2 hours ago, Mimiya11 said:

Just bumping this thread up as I just got some additional documents and updates from Viking for our Panama Canal cruise on March 7th

Now it says "We strongly recommend obtaining a vaccination for Yellow Fever" at least 10 days prior to enter Honduras. 

Guess we are not getting off the ship.   Sigh.... All we were going to do is wander over to Mahogany Bay. 

Any recent cruisers have further insight?  

Our doctor and the people at Passport Health advised us to get the Yellow Fever vaccination before our Panama and Central America cruise last month. I questioned both doctors because the CDC said there could be issues for people over 59 (I believe that was what I had read). We are well over that age. Both doctors advised us to get the vaccination and we didn’t have any side affects at all. But I would never get something without checking with my doctor and in this case a travel clinic, too. Lol

• Like 1