Dress code

Ja21

6 hours ago, 9265359 said:

Ah the logic of - men's bare legs are offensive but women's are not, however if we allowed women to wear shorts that revealed no more than a short skirt (which would be allowed) then we would have to allow men to wear shorts.

Pathetic decision by the maître d'.

I disagree. If you allow a lady to wear shorts, the doors open.

8 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I disagree. If you allow a lady to wear shorts, the doors open.

The doors are already open. I've already said that on my recent Britannia cruise that a number of people were allowed in the MDR wearing shorts although not on Formal Nights. Shorts were also allowed in every bar and in the Crystal Room as were t-shirts. That was my point, why have a rule if they are not going to enforce it.

6 hours ago, 9265359 said:

Ah the logic of - men's bare legs are offensive but women's are not, however if we allowed women to wear shorts that revealed no more than a short skirt (which would be allowed) then we would have to allow men to wear shorts.

I dissagree. I am not familiar with Azamara's smart casual dress code, having never sailed with them. If however, the code states that shorts are not acceptable in certain restaurants in the evening then the Maitre D was right to enforce it. In saying so, I am NOT expressing an opinion as to whether they should be acceptable; merely that if the code says they are not then they should not be worn.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, 9265359 said:

In all fairness, and the point I was alluding to was that the matre d was simply applying the rules and stuck to their guns regardless of what the unacceptable items of clothing were IE shorts, torn denim baseball caps etc . Would love to have that matra d on some of our other cruises

• Like 3

Personally Love dressing up for formal. We went on one cruise and we didn't realize they had changed the rules that we couldn't be in shorts past 6PM in a bar. We apologised and went out on deck. People give the staff grief when they are told. Unfortunately rules are rules and they are just doing their job.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Denarius said:

I dissagree. I am not familiar with Azamara's smart casual dress code, having never sailed with them. If however, the code states that shorts are not acceptable in certain restaurants in the evening then the Maitre D was right to enforce it. In saying so, I am NOT expressing an opinion as to whether they should be acceptable; merely that if the code says they are not then they should not be worn.

Sorry, but if two outfits are indistinguishable other than for 4" of stiches with the one with fewer stiches being acceptable, then the maître d' was foolish not wise.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, jem57 said:

Best ever,we were sailing with Celebrity on a formal night when an American guest came into MDR in her pyjamas and a baseball cap,her companion had a jog suit on,no words!

Reckon they must have been having a wager with eachother!

Conversation might have gone ...'bet you 50 bucks I can get in the main dining room in my jim jams!' 🤣

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

As others have said, being in my early 40s, I have witnessed a massive shift in what smart attire and going out clothes are.  I remember vividly every bloke having to wear shirt, trousers and shoes or you weren’t getting into a club (which by this time had lost their not day prefix), but it is hard to not feel p and o’s formal dress code, and to a lesser degree the smart casual dress code is a little outdated.

When I was on Iona, it felt like a Skechers sales convention as night or day, virtually everyone was wearing them, young and old alike.  
Formal night I swerved, it was 1 night and the only suit I own is black and when trying it on I found the speech I made at my sister’s funeral, that went back in the wardrobe.

My reason for scrapping it? Times have changed. If I want to buy a suit, it’s a city centre job, my large home town has a total of one shop that sells them (Next) and they are all slim fit, not very cruise suitable 😂😂😂  I wonder how many passengers are office workers that are seeing dress codes at work relaxed?

• Like 5