Excursions

I have a while to make plans but thinking about what I want to do on the different ports.  I know I want to do some historical tours and also some beach tours.  Anybody been to the following:  Myknos, Ephesus, Santorini, Athens, Katakolon, Messina, Naples?  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

32 minutes ago, travelfool123 said:

I have a while to make plans but thinking about what I want to do on the different ports.  I know I want to do some historical tours and also some beach tours.  Anybody been to the following:  Myknos, Ephesus, Santorini, Athens, Katakolon, Messina, Naples?  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

When we ported in Naples, we did an excursion through Taxi Mister - https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g187785-d12275711-Reviews-Taxi_Mister_Cab_Driver_Napoli-Naples_Province_of_Naples_Campania.html. Ciro was a fantastic guide who took us to see the Amalfi Coast, Sorrento and Pompeii. 

On 10/9/2022 at 7:59 PM, travelfool123 said:

Been to all except Messina.  If it helps, here is a link to some of our pictures.

Mark and Karen Europe 2013 (shutterfly.com)

Mykonos  would be a good beach day unless you want to tour the island.

As would Katakolon unless you want to visit the ancient site of Olympia.

Messina.  Most folks on a first visit would opt to visit Taormina  or take  a Mt Etna tour.

Santorini. Again, most folks on a first visit would visit Oia.

Ephesus is Ephesus and unmissable.

Naples will give you a headache trying to decide where to go if this would be your first visit. Choices include Naples itself, especially for the Archaeological Museum, Pompeii, Herculaneum. Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast, Capri..

Athens. Again like Naples, you would need to read and decide which sites would be of most interest to you.

A belated welcome to Cruise Critic,

Mykonos.

You will either port in the cruise berths a couple of miles north of the town then take bus or water-bus to the harbour, or moor off the town & be tendered into the harbour.

Broadly a choice of ...........

- a lazy day in this delightful little harbour town - waterfront bars, shops, cafes, a warren of immaculate & colourful little alleyways behind. The row of iconic windmills behind the town, the rocky cove of Little Venice. And not forgetting Petros (google him), who patrols the water front 

- a ferry only a mile or two offshore to the small island of Delos, reputedly the birthplace of Apollo & rich n archaeology

- taxi to what is regarded as the best  beach. I forget its name. (the little "beach" at the end of the harbour is dire)

Ephesus (porting at Kusadasi ?)

About 20 minutes away by tour or taxi, highly-regarded ancient ruins. Only worth going if you're told what you're looking at - signage is pretty non-existent & books at the entrance have their limitations, so book a guided tour (plenty of tour-share options) or take your chances of picking up a guide at the entrance.

Kusadasi itself is OK,  but mostly quite ordinary

Santorini. Beautiful island with panoramic views over the caldera. But all ships are tendered, and ship-to-town, and especially town-to-ship, can be difficult or time-consuming or both because tenders operate from a pier at the bottom of the cliff - no road, so you need to take the low-capacity cablecar or zig-zag donkey path or a small local ferry. Go through the Santorini "sticky" thread at the top of the  Europe - Greece ports forum for the problem & answers

Athens. The port for Athens is Piraeus. Various options for the approx 20 - 25 minute transfer - ship's tour or "on-your-own" transfer, taxi, ho-ho bus,  metro (not very convenient), or- best for independently-mindeds - Express bus (I forget the number). Make the Acropolis your first stop, when its cooler & less-crowded - some afternoons its closed due to high temperatures.

Katakolon. A small one-horse town with little more than a main street. On ships' itineraries for Olympia - about 30 minutes away by ship's or private tour, or "Katakolon Express" bus, or self-drive car (several agencies, simple route, easy driving, but best to pre-book). The train from Katakolon to Olympia is hardly worth mentioning, it's unreliable - and possibly no longer running at all.

Very limited local beach.

One of those places where if you'd previously visited Olympia you'd probably choose to perhaps spend no more than half-an-hour ashore.

Naples. As per Edinburgher's post, you're spoilt for choice ...

Pompeii or Herculaneum by train, or Ischia or Capri or Sorrento by ferry, or the Amalfi Coast by pre-booked tour, or Vesuvius by train & taxi, or Naples itself. And other places too !!

On a typical port-of-call day you could pair-up two suitable places  - eg tour to Amalfi coast including Pompeii or Herculaneum, or ferry from alongside ship to Sorrento then train to Pompeii or Herculaneum then same train back to Naples. But don't attempt more.

JB 🙂