Duty Free Alcohol

wvacations

Funny,  20,000 dollar cruise and we need to take a bottle of 30 dollar booze home.  Unless,  they are stocking you room Johnny Walker blue,  a 300 dollar bottle of wine,  a hard to find bourbon or something,  why really bother?  Seems a bit odd to me.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

Funny,  20,000 dollar cruise and we need to take a bottle of 30 dollar booze home.  Unless,  they are stocking you room Johnny Walker blue,  a 300 dollar bottle of wine,  a hard to find bourbon or something,  why really bother?  Seems a bit odd to me.  

It seems a bit odd to me as well. We had half a bottle of Bombay Sapphire in our fridge when we left Splendor. I didn't feel a need to pour it into my complimentary Vero water bottle and put it into my luggage to bring home. I like to pass through the "nothing to declare" line in the airport without worrying about something they've found in my luggage.

On our recently completed cruise, the "express" security lane that our Regent Business Class flights allowed us to use in Barcelona had the most stringent search of luggage we have ever seen (and we weren't the only ones). A recharging cord for your phone could cause you to empty your carry on into a gray bucket, and send you to the back of the line, where you were then "randomly" chosen for a body pat down when going through the metal detector on the second pass. Some purchases that were allowed back on the ship through ports that did security checks were confiscated at the Barcelona airport. The requirements for what needed to be taken out of your carry-ons and personal items and placed in the gray buckets was only documented on signs in Spanish, and there were only Spanish speaking agents helping passengers getting ready for the security checkpoint. We don't speak Spanish and would definitely not want to explain leftover liquor from the cruise.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2022 at 10:36 AM, mj_holiday said:

The best place to get some nice scotch (and other liquors) will be in the duty free in a large airport, hopefully you will be traveling through one.  (PRE-COVID) And they will bag it so you can take it one the plane.  If you are returning to the USA when you buy some, and changing planes in the US, you will need to pack the liquor in checked baggage after you clear customs before you recheck your bags.  In other words, the bagging of the duty free liquor or cologne will only get you on  the very next airplane, any connections you then have will require you to put it in your suitcase.

I bought a fairly expensive bottle of vodka in Reykjavik airport, and in the US, as my bag was collected for transfer to my connecting flight, realized I still had the vodka. I asked one of the airport employees collecting bags for connecting flights, if he liked vodka, he said yeah, and I said, "here you go". A happy airport employee!

• Haha 1