Upcoming Queen Mary 2 - Northern Lights - NYC Roundtrip - Oct. 25 - Nov. 20 - Questions and More

NancyDrew1953

Although technically not a newbie, this is the first time I've ever traveled as a solo; in the past, it has been as part of a group and someone else has always taken care of all the details. I have signed up at the Roll Call and looking forward to meeting others on this journey.    I am very, very excited about this adventure, but have lots of questions!  I have tried to search these boards, but as I'm not that computer literate, I have not much success finding answers to my questions.  I have a balcony cabin (not Grills).  Specifically:

(1)  I am interested in the two alternative dining locations, particularly the Verandah.  Are reservations for singles (not sharing a table) available?  Would it be double the cost since I would be taking up a table for two?  Thoughts / recommendation on the alternative dining options?  Best time to schedule this on a 26-day trip?  Do I need to make reservations before boarding?

(2) Although the website indicates that flowers for the cabin can be ordered prior to boarding, is it possible to order flowers once on board?

(3) Do the cabin attendants normally provide ice daily?

(4) Is there a gathering / meeting onboard for singles?   

I've printed out my boarding pass and luggage tag already, and my luggage is already half-packed! 

If you have any insight on my questions or thoughts about anything I've failed to ask, it would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

On our recent QM2 Canada cruise, we asked our attendant for ice each day and he asked what time. Always had ice at 5 pm, on time for balcony cocktails.

There were unhosted solo traveler get togethers each night at 5 in the Champagne Bar.

I'll be joining you as a solo for the WB TA at the end of your trip. I haven't sailed Cunard since the before times, but previously, ice was provided daily. 

I can't speak to your questions about flowers (although I have a vague memory that while you may be able to order them once you're on board, the selection may be limited) nor the alternate dining locations, as the last time I travelled, I was travelling with a friend (both in our own cabins), and we enjoyed dinner in the Verandah together. You might find someone congenial at the solo meetups that you might like to dine with, though. 

• Like 1

There are florists on board the ships and you can certainly order onboard, I had a beautiful vase last week. Lilies do smell very strong in a Britannia cabin though !

There will be no problem having a table for 1 in any of the restaurants and the charge is per person not for the table so it wouldn't be double.

On sea days there are usually Solo get togethers in the morning and later in the day.

IMG_20221004_175216298_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone that has responded to my questions.  It has been so helpful! A couple of more questions:

(1) Does the Britannia Restaurant (or elsewhere) serve decaffeinated black tea? If not, can I bring my own and just ask for hot water?  (I drink so much tea that my doctor insists that most of it be decaffeinated, although occasionally I indulge in regular tea.)

(2) Do the balcony cabins (not grills) provide binoculars in the room? or should I bring my own?

(3) Is there a blanket provided to use when enjoying the balcony?  If not, other suggestions?  I know it will be cold and am packing accordingly, but would like to sit outside, sipping tea. 

Host Hattie, your photo of the flowers was beautiful! I will definitely order some once on board. 

• Like 2

Hi NancyDrew,

I'm traveling solo as well. I just sailed (non-solo) on the QM2 for a transatlantic crossing in late August. I do recall seeing single gatherings printed in the daily program. Hope to meet you onboard!

21 hours ago, NancyDrew1953 said:

(3) Is there a blanket provided to use when enjoying the balcony? 

Ask your cabin steward for  deck blanket. They are very cozy. We kept ours for the whole cruise, stowing them on the top shelf in the closet when not in use. 

Also make a great wrap if you're out on deck in the wind taking pictures etc.