cabin upgrade bidding

sunsetme

23 hours ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

Being far forward would be a reason that I would hesitate to bid at all.

Does anyone here know if Princess is keeping winning bids locked in.  So, you can't decline the upgrade?  I think that is how it is supposed to work.  But I am thinking that I have heard differently.

Yes. It’s part of the bidding agreement. No choice in cabin and you can’t change your mind once the bid has been accepted. 

4 hours ago, 1cruiselvr said:

Yes. It’s part of the bidding agreement. No choice in cabin and you can’t change your mind once the bid has been accepted. 

I wondered about that.  Since we require an ADA cabin, I suspect none of this upsell business would be beneficial to us.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SiliconCruiser said:

I wondered about that.  Since we require an ADA cabin, I suspect none of this upsell business would be beneficial to us.

If in an ADA cabin and making bids you will only be upgraded to another ADA cabin if you win. You will not be placed in a standard cabin.

I honestly don’t know if this helps or hurts your odds in winning.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

We got an upgraded cabin with more room.  But we went from our preferred aft cabin (we really like the movement) to mid ship.  I didn't see any location option when I was bidding.  I lo-balled two upgrades.  The highest was rejected and next level up was accepted.  Cheers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZjohn said:

If in an ADA cabin and making bids you will only be upgraded to another ADA cabin if you win. You will not be placed in a standard cabin.

I honestly don’t know if this helps or hurts your odds in winning.

Cheers

They once tried to give us an upgrade and it was not to an ADA cabin and when Princess was contacted, the phone agent couldn't figure out why it should make a difference.  Please note that this was pre-pandemic.  These days it might be met with "who cares".

17 hours ago, AZjohn said:

If you bid, you go into a guaranteed status, there's no guarantee of an ADA cabin.  There aren't many ADA cabins on any of the ships.  Even on one of the Royal class ships, like the Majestic, there are only about 34-35 ADA cabins.  And very few for those who seek Interior cabins.  ADA cabins on some of the more popular cruise routes may be booked up a 6-9 months in advance.  That being said, we did manage to get a "Drop & Go" fare in an ADA cabin to Alaska this year (dumb luck!).

For those that wondered, here is Princess fine print explanation about an accepted bid:

Once a Bid is accepted, the Guest is legally bound to complete payment for the price stated in the Bid. If a Guest's credit card does not go through, is declined, or cannot otherwise be charged, PCL may (but is not required to) reach out to the Guest for an alternate method of payment or may disqualify the Successful Bidder and return the Guest to their original category, all in its sole discretion

2 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

If you bid, you go into a guaranteed status, there's no guarantee of an ADA cabin.  There aren't many ADA cabins on any of the ships.  Even on one of the Royal class ships, like the Majestic, there are only about 34-35 ADA cabins.  And very few for those who seek Interior cabins.  ADA cabins on some of the more popular cruise routes may be booked up a 6-9 months in advance.  That being said, we did manage to get a "Drop & Go" fare in an ADA cabin to Alaska this year (dumb luck!).

I refer you to Princess presentation regarding ADA upgrade bids only upgrade to ADA cabins:

https://www.facebook.com/PrincessVPSales/videos/1484592348657993/

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 12:30 PM, azbirdmom said:

Princess Sales just had a webinar about the new process.  At times there are horrible audio issues when the two ladies are talking but the part with the gentleman who did the walkthrough of the upgrade screens is worth listening to.  https://www.facebook.com/PrincessVPSales/videos/1484592348657993/

20 hours ago, Bemidji Ty said:

We got an upgraded cabin with more room.  But we went from our preferred aft cabin (we really like the movement) to mid ship.  I didn't see any location option when I was bidding.  I lo-balled two upgrades.  The highest was rejected and next level up was accepted.  Cheers.

Are you happy with what you got?

32 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Are you happy with what you got?

I'll know Saturday.  We went from a balcony BA to a DA on the Dolphin deck.  Both cabin and balcony seem to be a bit larger and it is mid-ship.   I'll write a review when we get back.  Started packing today.  Cheers

Edited by Bemidji Ty
Redundancy
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

I refer you to Princess presentation regarding ADA upgrade bids only upgrade to ADA cabins:

https://www.facebook.com/PrincessVPSales/videos/1484592348657993/

Thanks neighbor!  Guess they wised up.  The last time we tried that (pre-epidmic) we were told that we would go into a "guarantee" status and may end up in a regular cabin (per both Princess and our TAs) 

It would appear that they are saying that ADA would only go to ADA, but given Princess' track record for veracity and the fact that it is on Facebook would suggest that it should be approached with caution.

We once made the mistake of booking a regular cabin (the price was attractive,) and it was for a 15 day Hawaiian cruise.  After 4 miserable days in a cabin with little space for the wheelchair, having to fold the wheelchair to get it through the door, we were fortunate enough to have been able to access (beg) for a cabin that was being vacated since the couple had decided to catch a plane in Honolulu and go home.  We were only made aware of it because the couple told us (their friends and neighbors traveling with them in the adjoining ADA cabin knew a couple that I had attended grammar and high school with.)  Even then, Princess was reluctant to move us to the ADA cabin.

19 minutes ago, SiliconCruiser said:

Thanks neighbor!  Guess they wised up.  The last time we tried that (pre-epidmic) we were told that we would go into a "guarantee" status and may end up in a regular cabin (per both Princess and our TAs) 

It would appear that they are saying that ADA would only go to ADA, but given Princess' track record for veracity and the fact that it is on Facebook would suggest that it should be approached with caution.

We once made the mistake of booking a regular cabin (the price was attractive,) and it was for a 15 day Hawaiian cruise.  After 4 miserable days in a cabin with little space for the wheelchair, having to fold the wheelchair to get it through the door, we were fortunate enough to have been able to access (beg) for a cabin that was being vacated since the couple had decided to catch a plane in Honolulu and go home.  We were only made aware of it because the couple told us (their friends and neighbors traveling with them in the adjoining ADA cabin knew a couple that I had attended grammar and high school with.)  Even then, Princess was reluctant to move us to the ADA cabin.

I understand your caution after your pre-Covid experience. I hope Princess stays true to their word.

Though I currently do not have any physical issues, I have great empathy for those that require ADA accommodations 🙂

Cheers,

John