WhatsApp in Celebrity wifi

twonpcb

I have seen conflicting reviews regarding this issue.  I have a father-in-law who is in assisted living and my husband calls him every morning to wake him up.  From what I have read, the provided WiFi does not support voice calls on WhatsApp and an upgrade is required to use this feature.  

We will be on Infinity out of Buenos Aries cruising to Antarctica so I’m sure a spotty connection will be expected.

Can anyone share their experiences with the different WiFi speeds and making calls?

48 minutes ago, twonpcb said:

I have seen conflicting reviews regarding this issue.  I have a father-in-law who is in assisted living and my husband calls him every morning to wake him up.  From what I have read, the provided WiFi does not support voice calls on WhatsApp and an upgrade is required to use this feature.  

We will be on Infinity out of Buenos Aries cruising to Antarctica so I’m sure a spotty connection will be expected.

Can anyone share their experiences with the different WiFi speeds and making calls?

WhatsApp will definitely not work on the basic surf internet.  Internet is indeed spotty and difficult almost everywhere on your cruise to have enough bandwidth to make video calls and sometimes very slow for texting and emails.  There is simply not much out there so little satellite  coverage.

I can't speak to the basic internet but have used it as we;; as facetime many times using the Premium.   Connectivity has generally been good if the internet was functioning.    I have done the Infinity around the horn from BA to Valparaiso.   Internet was pretty solid until we got near the Horn and then lost it for 12 hours.   A couple other times it was spotty for periods of 30 minutes to an hour.

Not sure of the causes but often while in ports - even areas with good cell service there is no internet.  In some of the ports I've had to use by free T-Moible International roaming instead of the ships WiFi while in port.