Tender operating times to Bora Bora

elmaexec

1 hour ago, elmaexec said:

On the second day in Bora Bora, what time do the tenders start running?  I made arrangements for a tour operator to pick us up at 8:15. Will we be able to make that?  

Ship excursions have priority for the first tender. First tender on day 2 is often at 8:30 AM. So  .... it comes down to how full the ship is. I always tell my private tours that I'll be on the first or second tender but I could be arriving around 9:00 AM.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Ship excursions have priority for the first tender. First tender on day 2 is often at 8:30 AM. So  .... it comes down to how full the ship is. I always tell my private tours that I'll be on the first or second tender but I could be arriving around 9:00 AM.

Yikes!  That doesn’t sound workable then. I’ll contact them and see if I can arrange a later time. Is that first tender usually full with ship excursions?

24 minutes ago, elmaexec said:

Yikes!  That doesn’t sound workable then. I’ll contact them and see if I can arrange a later time. Is that first tender usually full with ship excursions?

As previously mentioned it depends on how full the ship is. If it is full the first tender could be pretty full with ship excursions. 

18 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

They won't let you board the tender before the ship excursions no matter if your there 20 minutes early. 

I have a follow up question because my pickup says they can’t do it any earlier than 10am if I can’t make the 8:15.  

How late do the tenders run back to the boat on departure day?

On 10/11/2022 at 7:20 PM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

They won't let you board the tender before the ship excursions no matter if your there 20 minutes early. 

No, but effective in getting us in front of people also doing independent activities should tender space be in short supply after people doing PG excursions get on.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, EPTCB said:

No, but effective in getting us in front of people also doing independent activities should tender space be in short supply after people doing PG excursions get on.

Sometimes they do tickets that you get in the piano bar  ... that is for people to get on after the ship excursion people  ... usually only when the ship is very full 😉

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2022 at 8:54 PM, elmaexec said:

On the second day in Bora Bora, what time do the tenders start running?  I made arrangements for a tour operator to pick us up at 8:15. Will we be able to make that?  

If the first tender is at 8:30, there is still a way that you might make 8:15 time but it is in no way guaranteed. There is actually a first tender to bring supplies to the tender pier before the first official passenger tender. In the past, we have had luck going to the person running cards at the tender station a day or so before the tour, explaining that we had an early tour time and politely asking if we could get on the unadvertised first tender. This was in pre-Ponant times but we were allowed to do this.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EPTCB said:

If the first tender is at 8:30, there is still a way that you might make 8:15 time but it is in no way guaranteed. There is actually a first tender to bring supplies to the tender pier before the first official passenger tender. In the past, we have had luck going to the person running cards at the tender station a day or so before the tour, explaining that we had an early tour time and politely asking if we could get on the unadvertised first tender. This was in pre-Ponant times but we were allowed to do this.

Thank you!  It’s worth a try. 

On 10/12/2022 at 10:29 PM, elmaexec said:

Thank you!  It’s worth a try. 

First trip (for us) under Ponant management underway and tendering process has indeed changed, IMHO for the worse. 

As Tiki, er um Tahitianbigkahuna, stated above people not doing PG tour were asked to get tender tickets in Piano Bar. Problem is tickets being distributed were for an hour after listed first tender. In order to board actual first official tender to make early independent tour start time, had to go to excursion desk to get on "exclusion list" and then wait in grand salon for independent tour people to be called.  Told this will also be process for Bora Bora and Moorea.

With this in mind, I don't think you will make 08:15 start time as Poanat seems to be cracking down on / formalizing tender process and the last time we were in Bora Bora overnight, the first scheduled tender was 08:30 on both days. If your tour operator is strict about departure time, I would just suggest scheduling the later start time option (assuming it will allow you to catch last tender which is generally 30 minutes before listed ship departure time).

Will voice displeasure with new process on post-cruise comments form.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Things are changing daily. Today in Bora Bora, they are limiting tenders to 50 people (for social distancing). They have also moved first tender back a half hour as cruise started in Fiji and all have to all do a passport control thing this morning at 8 am upon entering French Polynesia.

thumbnail (2).jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2022 at 9:22 AM, EPTCB said:

Things are changing daily. Today in Bora Bora, they are limiting tenders to 50 people (for social distancing). They have also moved first tender back a half hour as cruise started in Fiji and all have to all do a passport control thing this morning at 8 am upon entering French Polynesia.

thumbnail (2).jpeg

Yes it appears that things are changing daily. Perhaps you have someone who has tested positive on board. On our Sept cruise tenders were completely full. Initially we were required to wear masks on the tenders, but by day 4 or 5, the day Poignant stopped requiring Covid tests prior to boarding, they relaxed the mask policy on the tenders. The staff continued to wear masks, but 99% of the passengers did not wear them, anywhere. 

Edited by MrRandal

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/15/2022 at 1:12 AM, EPTCB said:

First trip (for us) under Ponant management underway and tendering process has indeed changed, IMHO for the worse. 

As Tiki, er um Tahitianbigkahuna, stated above people not doing PG tour were asked to get tender tickets in Piano Bar. Problem is tickets being distributed were for an hour after listed first tender. In order to board actual first official tender to make early independent tour start time, had to go to excursion desk to get on "exclusion list" and then wait in grand salon for independent tour people to be called.  Told this will also be process for Bora Bora and Moorea.

With this in mind, I don't think you will make 08:15 start time as Poanat seems to be cracking down on / formalizing tender process and the last time we were in Bora Bora overnight, the first scheduled tender was 08:30 on both days. If your tour operator is strict about departure time, I would just suggest scheduling the later start time option (assuming it will allow you to catch last tender which is generally 30 minutes before listed ship departure time).

Will voice displeasure with new process on post-cruise comments form.....

Hi, just wondering if this 'cracking down' was to do with Covid at all?  Could any one confirm whether or not this policy is continuing?  We are hoping to do an independent tour in Huahine, Bora Bora and Moorea. Without getting on the first tender we would definitely miss our tour.  Could anyone enlighten us please/or could those on the cruise starting on 15 April report back on this please?

7 hours ago, mermaid 285 said:

Hi, just wondering if this 'cracking down' was to do with Covid at all?  Could any one confirm whether or not this policy is continuing?  We are hoping to do an independent tour in Huahine, Bora Bora and Moorea. Without getting on the first tender we would definitely miss our tour.  Could anyone enlighten us please/or could those on the cruise starting on 15 April report back on this please?

There is no way to actually know as much of it depends on the passenger count. There was some delays because of covid restrictions on how many can be on a tender but that supposedly has ended  ... I never book a private excursion prior to 9AM ... it is the safe thing to do  ... I tell my vendors we will likely be on the dock between 8:45 AM - 9:00 AM

4 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

There is no way to actually know as much of it depends on the passenger count. There was some delays because of covid restrictions on how many can be on a tender but that supposedly has ended  ... I never book a private excursion prior to 9AM ... it is the safe thing to do  ... I tell my vendors we will likely be on the dock between 8:45 AM - 9:00 AM

So, will the second tender get us off the ship for 9 am latest?

3 hours ago, mermaid 285 said:

So, will the second tender get us off the ship for 9 am latest?

Tahitianbigkahuna has much more experience than I do with Paul Gauguin, but since I started this thread, I thought I’d relay my experience on our October cruise. 

We had all private tours booked except for the Tahaa drift snorkel.  After the first day, we no longer bothered going to the Piano Bar prior to heading down to the tender boarding area. We just showed up at the boarding area early and waited as the line formed. People using Gauguin excursions were brought down in a line and proceeded onto the tender, then the rest of us were boarded. We did have a full ship on that cruise, but we still got on the first tender every time. At that time, they were not restricting the number of people on the tenders as we had no Covid spread and the tenders hold a remarkable number of people when filled.

The reason we no longer bothered with the Piano Bar is this: on that first day, we were left to follow out behind the line of Gauguin tour people, but as they passed the boarding area, others who had been waiting there filled in behind them and we ended up being behind those who had lined up at the boarding area. 

1 hour ago, elmaexec said:

Tahitianbigkahuna has much more experience than I do with Paul Gauguin, but since I started this thread, I thought I’d relay my experience on our October cruise. 

We had all private tours booked except for the Tahaa drift snorkel.  After the first day, we no longer bothered going to the Piano Bar prior to heading down to the tender boarding area. We just showed up at the boarding area early and waited as the line formed. People using Gauguin excursions were brought down in a line and proceeded onto the tender, then the rest of us were boarded. We did have a full ship on that cruise, but we still got on the first tender every time. At that time, they were not restricting the number of people on the tenders as we had no Covid spread and the tenders hold a remarkable number of people when filled.

The reason we no longer bothered with the Piano Bar is this: on that first day, we were left to follow out behind the line of Gauguin tour people, but as they passed the boarding area, others who had been waiting there filled in behind them and we ended up being behind those who had lined up at the boarding area. 

That's really great to know!  I was starting to get worried.  Do you remember what time the last tender was back to the ship on the second day in Bora Bora and Moorea?  We are hoping it's 16:30.  

21 minutes ago, mermaid 285 said:

That's really great to know!  I was starting to get worried.  Do you remember what time the last tender was back to the ship on the second day in Bora Bora and Moorea?  We are hoping it's 16:30.  

I also was on the PG last October ... yes it was full. We were lucky to have gotten on the first tender every time accept one. Again there is actually no way to know for sure. As I said I always have my group covered even if we are on the 2nd tender.

The normal time for the last tender is 4:30 PM on day 2 in BB. I say normally as last July the last tender to the ship was 3:30 PM  ... again you will not know for sure ... but as I've stated I always have things covered and always tell my vendors to plan on us being back by 3:30 PM unless I say otherwise when we board the excursion.

30 minutes ago, mermaid 285 said:

I’m sorry, but I don’t recall. We were usually more concerned with our tour start times than the end times. I would think 16:30 is reasonable. 

35 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I also was on the PG last October ... yes it was full. We were lucky to have gotten on the first tender every time accept one. Again there is actually no way to know for sure. As I said I always have my group covered even if we are on the 2nd tender.

The normal time for the last tender is 4:30 PM on day 2 in BB. I say normally as last July the last tender to the ship was 3:30 PM  ... again you will not know for sure ... but as I've stated I always have things covered and always tell my vendors to plan on us being back by 3:30 PM unless I say otherwise when we board the excursion.

Thank for the info.  Unfortunately we won't have any leverage with our privately booked tours, unlike you as you are booking for a larger group.  So what will be will be but we will book our longer excursion for the first day in port.  As regards the last day in Moorea, I was hoping to get a tattoo in the afternoon, I could therefore really do with the last shuttle being 16:30.  Will we know the tender times for the whole week upon embarkation?