Internet

juancarlosgarciasanchez

No free calls or text messaging while at sea. You will be connected to the maritime cellular service with fees up to $14 per MB if you don't switch to airplane mode while on the ship. Your best bet is to use WhatsApp or other WiFi enabled calling app. Calls over WiFi did not work on Scarlet Lady for us and I also have TMobile. The only ship where WiFi calling worked for us so far was the NCL Escape. 

I will say my wife was able to use the internet and stream TikTok all day long with the included internet package. She could not stream YouTube or any other video service. I paid the extra $10/day so I could upload videos and do livestreams from the ship and that was totally worth the extra $10/day. 

• Like 2

I kept the basic wifi to see what it could or couldn't do. I was able to text and make video phone calls using WhatsApp on iPhone. Texting no problem at all. Decent quality with a tiny stutter here and there on video chat, but still very usable. Regular surfing and email was good. YouTube was not great, yet certain other sites worked for streaming at standard def resolutions. Download speeds measured by SpeedTest varied between like 3 and 10. Not great at all  but surprisingly usable. Biggest disappointment was that the Virgin IT department blocks all VPN's regardless of the level of speed you pay for. Bad move IMHO, because I only wanted to use it to safeguard some banking transactions....which I decided against chancing. VV touts all these innovations, but dropped the ball on that one. I will say that I had very little trouble with the Virgin app though. Just needed to close open programs and the occassional hard restart.

On 10/12/2022 at 2:34 PM, CineGraphic said:

I read somewhere that VOIP calls can only be made with the premium streaming wifi, not the basic wifi.

Nope, I had the premium package. No WiFi enabled calls directly with my phone. It could have been done with WhatsApp, FB or other app. But not direct "Calls over WiFi"

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WheresWalter said:

Nope, I had the premium package. No WiFi enabled calls directly with my phone. It could have been done with WhatsApp, FB or other app. But not direct "Calls over WiFi"

That's wild. I've always been able to use wifi calling with my iphone while on Princess.

4 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

That's wild. I've always been able to use wifi calling with my iphone while on Princess.

i was able to use wifi calling on VV too.  i had the premium internet bc i needed to work a couple days fwiw

It may have a lot to do with your mobile carrier. I know that mine does not allow wifi calling outside of Australia whereas other companies do. I do, however have a generous international roaming plan which allows data so can't complain too much

Boarded Valiant Lady today.   Internet is really good.  Can't answer VOIP specifically.  So far everything we've tried to do works.  No premium service available on this trip....at least not for sale.  We all may be getting premium without paying, but the official word is standard service only for this cruise, even for people who qualify for free premium internet.

My friend and I both were able to make "wifi only" phone calls with the basic wifi last December. I have Verizon and he has Xfinity. Phone was in airplane mode with wifi calling turned on. There were lags when we were moving but in ports it worked great.