How is the hairdryer

grouchomarx

I usually bring my own, as cruise ship dryers are usually not good.  Last one on Celebrity Edge was acceptable.  I have curly hair and do a full blow out, so it needs to be fairly decent in terms of airflow, heat and ease of use (not attached to anything).  Those micro minis just don't work for me.  Sailing on NS soon.  

The hair dryers on the ships we have been on lately have been okay.  Not salon quality but acceptable.  On the Pinnacle class ships they were in a drawer at the desk and they were attached so they couldn't be used elsewhere.  I have short fine hair and for me they were fine. 

• Like 1

I’m going to be on the Rotterdam next month in a Neptune and I like to bring my own dryer. I was wondering if there is a socket to plug it in at that vanity station in the built-ins near the window.  I’m not crazy about that idea of having to do my hair and make up etc., in the middle of the main room. I rather liked the privacy area in the  Neptunes on the signature class ships, but it is what it is, and I’m just hoping there is a socket for my dryer and flat iron. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I'll be on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam next week. Can anyone share more specifics about the hair dryer provided in the staterooms? Brand, wattage (power), upgraded in dry dock last month, etc. Thank you in advance!

I use an 1850 watt hair dryer at home and I thought the HAL in-room dryer was a lot better, smaller and lighter but equally powerful.

I loved the HAL dryer too, but I have shorter hair. I looked for the brand, but did not see it because I do would have liked to find one for home use.

Nothing wrong with bringing your own and requesting an approved extension cord, if that would help.

• Thanks 1

I think it's important to pin down the color of the provided hair dryer.  My cruise would be ruined if I didn't pack clothing in the same color scheme as the appliance.  And heaven forbid it is a July 2023 model!

When my great-great grandmother was hurling o'er the railing of the City of Richmond while emigrating to America in the 1880s, I don't think "hair drying" was on her top 10 list of concerns.  

Buy a hat.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

I use an 1850 watt hair dryer at home and I thought the HAL in-room dryer was a lot better, smaller and lighter but equally powerful.

I loved the HAL dryer too, but I have shorter hair. I looked for the brand, but did not see it because I do would have liked to find one for home use.

Nothing wrong with bringing your own and requesting an approved extension cord, if that would help.

Thank you so much. I'm new to HAL and couldn't find this information on their website so your reply is very helpful as I decide what to pack and what I can leave at home. I appreciate it. 

5 minutes ago, bagsarepacked said:

Thank you so much. I'm new to HAL and couldn't find this information on their website so your reply is very helpful as I decide what to pack and what I can leave at home. I appreciate it. 

Well, you could always follow our own tried and true packing rule - over pack everything!  No matter how many days we have cruised, I still succumb to ....what if ..  and in it goes into the suitcase. 🙃

Welcome to HAL -hope you have a wonderful cruise. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, bagsarepacked said:

I'll be on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam next week. Can anyone share more specifics about the hair dryer provided in the staterooms? Brand, wattage (power), upgraded in dry dock last month, etc. Thank you in advance!

This picture is from the Noordam Oct 2023. It worked just fine. I don't know if all ships have the same kind.

IMG_20231008_222547023_HDR.jpg

Edited by Red Haired Lady
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

This picture is from the Noordam Oct 2023. It worked just fine. I don't know if all ships have the same kind.

Thank you so much for sharing your picture! This information is very helpful. I would think, I hope, the HAL ships have the same or very similar amenities. Anyway, thanks again!

• Like 1

There was a time when the HAL bathrooms had flexible tube attached directly to the wall,  that kind of blew out some tepid air. That was the in cabin "hair dryer".

At least it was in the bathroom. May have been in the old "S" class ships. But they are no more. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red Haired Lady said:

This what I had in the blue bag in the top drawer of the desk last month on NS and this month on K'dam. I have long hair; they worked fine. 20240102_233641.thumb.jpg.2ea62cdd951e923ffe367995a1e2dd84.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArizonaStorm said:

I think it's important to pin down the color of the provided hair dryer.  My cruise would be ruined if I didn't pack clothing in the same color scheme as the appliance.  And heaven forbid it is a July 2023 model!

When my great-great grandmother was hurling o'er the railing of the City of Richmond while emigrating to America in the 1880s, I don't think "hair drying" was on her top 10 list of concerns.  

Buy a hat.

I never get the point of posts like this one. Are we meant to be shamed by wanting/expecting the same amenities that are on offer at any decent hotel? Are we supposed to feel bad because we can afford to take a vacation our ancestors could only dream of (and wouldn’t they be happy to see us prosper rather than begrudging our success)? Is there something intrinsically wrong with wanting value for money on what for many is not a cheap vacation?

The point of this forum is to provide helpful advice and updates, not belittle others.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

This what I had in the blue bag in the top drawer of the desk last month on NS and this month on K'dam. I have long hair; they worked fine. 20240102_233641.thumb.jpg.2ea62cdd951e923ffe367995a1e2dd84.jpg

Nice, back to back cruises. 👍  Thank you for your comments about the hair dryers HAL provides. I really appreciate it. 

• Like 1