Minors at Carousel Productions? Pre-booking package required?

emeraldaine

We are booked on the Meraviglia 12/30/22 sailing, our first time on MSC. Interested in the "Rock Circus" and "Houdini" shows (I think... haven't found any reviews?). I see we can book a "signature cocktail and show" for $15 CAD pp. We've got kids 6 & 9, I think they would like the show - but we don't want to buy them specialty cocktails (hmmm, unless that might get them to sleep faster 😉).  I suppose we could book for all 4 of us, then Mom and Dad would just drink the kids' cocktails. 

1. If we book this only for the adults, does that mean the kids can't come with us?

2. If we book for all 4, would they refund the cocktail charge for the kids?

3. If we don't book the package at all, could we still go to the show on the day of, or is it only through this package you can see it?

Thanks for any feedback, this is all new to me. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Emeraldaine, Were booked on the same cruise as you (with our two teens) first MSC cruise too and have the exact same question amongst many others relating to this cruise. MSC is not good at providing answers to most questions unlike other cruise lines. I know you can get non alcoholic versions of the few drinks available as part of the show package, non of which I personally find appealing. I'd like to think they could do something special for kids but I'd be surprised if that was anything other then a juice or pop and don't know if they would even do that much! MSC nickels and dimes everything and you will definitely need 4 tickets for your family. I see you also noted the shows are $15 PP CAD. I know you can also purchase tickets onboard, I believe the cost is $18 PP US. We are Canadian too and I have lots of questions about CDN$ vs US$ charges posted online and onboard it's very confusing. If we are set up as a Canadian dollar booking, I am wondering if everything will charge at US dollars and then be converted to Canadian dollars at a 40 percent exchange there about. Maybe a solution would be to put some cash on the account at check in so that there is no need to convert. But if so would that need to be done in Canadian or US funds? I have a bad feeling I will be wasting a ton of time on the ship at the front desk dealing with issues like this and others and there has already been so much negativity directed to their poor customer service and horrible check out procedures.

Edited by Marcmarc

On 10/16/2022 at 2:14 PM, emeraldaine said:

We are booked on the Meraviglia 12/30/22 sailing, our first time on MSC. Interested in the "Rock Circus" and "Houdini" shows (I think... haven't found any reviews?). I see we can book a "signature cocktail and show" for $15 CAD pp. We've got kids 6 & 9, I think they would like the show - but we don't want to buy them specialty cocktails (hmmm, unless that might get them to sleep faster 😉).  I suppose we could book for all 4 of us, then Mom and Dad would just drink the kids' cocktails. 

1. If we book this only for the adults, does that mean the kids can't come with us?

2. If we book for all 4, would they refund the cocktail charge for the kids?

3. If we don't book the package at all, could we still go to the show on the day of, or is it only through this package you can see it?

Thanks for any feedback, this is all new to me. 

From our experience last week (two adults only), I think I can answer your questions for the most part.

1.  I would pre-book for all adults and kids.  For us, prepay tickets were $12 (US) per person per show.  There were a number of kids at the two shows we went to, and they seemed to enjoy themselves. Booking on board was at least $16 (US dollars, as is all pricing on Caribbean cruises for anything)

2.  They won't refund. There are kids cocktails (mocktails) as well as adult drinks.  There are bar employees who would control kids "accidentally" getting alcoholic drinks.

3.  I don't think you can just walk in.  There are four ushers or so that check that you are ticketed and allowed entry.  Can't see them letting you in.

I will say the shows are kid friendly (and PC)  For example, one of the songs in Age of Rock is "Satisfaction"  The lyrics are changed to, "I can't get no satisfaction, I can't get no satisfaction" from the original, "I can't get no satisfaction, I can't get no girlie action."

My recommendation.  Pre-pay for the tickets and save money.  Instead of waiting in line at reception on deck 5, there is a desk next to reception (starboard side) that is dedicated to Carousel.  There you can arrange show date and time (8 or 10).  There is no ticketing per se.  When you go to the show, you give your cabin number, and they check on the iPads.  Further advice:  1. They will not let anyone in after ten minutes before show time. 2. Even though it says you can't bring in a drink, if you have a drink plan you may want to do that.  The specialty drinks aren't that good, and you can drink what you like.  They did not stop anyone bringing in a drink.

• Thanks 1

We brought my 11 year old to both shows.  The first show he tried the kids cocktail but didn't like it because it has grapefruit juice.  The second show my husband was able to get two of the specialty cocktails because my son wasn't taking one.  I would recommend booking in advance. I would also recommend making your reservation early if you are on a 3 or 4 day cruise.  When I called to make a reservation for the second show it was sold out and fortunately it was the same one for the next night or we would have missed it.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Did you get to pre-book the package for kids? When I tried to go to Manage my Cruise page to add the package, it does not allow me to add the package to kids, only adults are allowed. How can I pre-book this show for kids? Thanks.

On 11/20/2023 at 2:24 AM, VWang said:

Did you get to pre-book the package for kids? When I tried to go to Manage my Cruise page to add the package, it does not allow me to add the package to kids, only adults are allowed. How can I pre-book this show for kids? Thanks.

Welcome to CC.  TBH we were excited about shows and even cheap.  Went to one and not good.  Plus drink was like NA.  All five in our party agreed and skipped other.

• Like 1