Odyssey. Alaska. How 'disabled friendly' is this ship?

dcsam

Looking at a cruise aboard the Odyssey - seems to be an older ship. Often times, the older ships aren't as accessible as the newer ones. Are there more automatic doors or open-yourself types?  High door thresholds, or relatively flat? 

About dining in the outdoor stern area:  Are you waited on (ie., from a menu)?  Reason I ask, is because it gets a bit much getting food items for myself and my husband. We both prefer a casual atmosphere, which this area seems to be. 

One of our fellow passengers on the Odyssey Alaska cruise in September used a walker (and sometimes a wheel chair) and she seemed to manage just fine.  There are door thresholds when you go to the outside areas of the ship (like to the pool deck or to your balcony) but they are not terribly high if you had to push a walker or wheel chair over them.  There are some automatic doors as well. The Colonnade does offer menu service for breakfast and lunch, in addition to the buffet.  The lunch menu is rather limited, however.  Dinner there is table service only.

On 10/16/2022 at 8:54 PM, dcsam said:

Looking at a cruise aboard the Odyssey - seems to be an older ship. Often times, the older ships aren't as accessible as the newer ones. Are there more automatic doors or open-yourself types?  High door thresholds, or relatively flat? 

About dining in the outdoor stern area:  Are you waited on (ie., from a menu)?  Reason I ask, is because it gets a bit much getting food items for myself and my husband. We both prefer a casual atmosphere, which this area seems to be. 

I've been on many Seabourn cruises (5 times on the Odyssey) and most of the other major cruise lines.  The Odyssey is a lovely ship all be it over 20 years old but, to answer your ADA question:  The staff will bend over backwards to assist you including all the room service you want.  Room service at dinner time is a full 5 course meal served just like in the restaurant.  With that said, newer and larger ships are better suited for say, motorized scooters.  

The Odyssey has a few bulkhead doors that include ramps on both sides and not all doors were automatic (unless they have been upgraded since 2020).  The Odyssey is literally a super yacht and Seabourn refers to them as "The Yachts of Seabourn".  I guess it depends on your exceptions on what and much ADA you're looking for.  Hope this help.

1 hour ago, raphael360 said:

The Odyssey is a lovely ship all be it over 20 years old

Sorry to nitpick but Odyssey is 13 years old, she came out in 2009.

I know I have seen a few people with small motorised scooters on the Odyssey class Seabourn ships. There is a mix of sliding doors and push open doors. For example on deck 8 out onto the pool deck the doors push open but to go out to the deck of Colonnade outdoor seating is sliding doors. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Sorry to nitpick but Odyssey is 13 years old, she came out in 2009.

I know I have seen a few people with small motorised scooters on the Odyssey class Seabourn ships. There is a mix of sliding doors and push open doors. For example on deck 8 out onto the pool deck the doors push open but to go out to the deck of Colonnade outdoor seating is sliding doors. 

Exactly Julie.

I think it all depends on your disability and access needs.

Some vessels will be easier to get around than others.

Never seen anyone with a small scooter having problems getting around.

• 2 months later...

Thank you all for the helpful information.  The Odyssey certainly has plenty of ada cabins.  Their balconies look big too - I love that.
 I’ve narrowed down our choices to Oceania Regatta, Seabourn Odyssey and Holland America Volendam.  Quite a difference of choices, I know.  Holland has the large cabins and the walk-around promenade.  But… I’ve always wanted to give Seabourn a try.  We may wait until summer approaches and see if there are any last minute deals (we’re flexible and can drive).  It’s a risk, but at least I have 2 great options and 1 good one. 

Thanks again

I would suggest Oceania Regatta would be the most challenging for accessibility.  The older "R-class" ships of Oceania and Azamara have tighter hallways, more "step-over" threshholds, and manual heavy doors.  It can still be done, but not as easily.  On the Oceania line, the Marina and Riviera (and the new ship coming later this year) are much more accessible, but those aren't in Alaska.

Odyssey would be more accessible than Regatta.  The itinerary may be more oriented towards smaller ports with tendering, or zodiac expeditions, though.

While the colonnade does have buffet service, I wouldn't let that stress you out. Take a quick peak at what is on the buffet on your way in and your waitstaff will gladly bring you anything you want, so you aren't limited to what is on the menu. Secondly, it isn't like the big buffets on mainline ships with self serve drink stations and cafeteria trays, when you finish going thru the small line of hot food items there is almost always a staff person ready to take your plate to the table for you. I personally like looking at the food and picking out the specific piece of chicken/fish, etc that I would like along with maybe asking for a half portion just so I could taste something. The cold bar is a square and has a staff person in the middle that can assist you with anything. You will have a server at your table who handles all drinks. Once the staff know you want/need assistance they will be right there to assist. They get to know customers wants and likes and will often bring you things unprompted because they learn your order and habits. 

• Like 2