P&O Australian or Princess Australian brand.

margo2011

Hi all,

we are looking to book an Australian cruise for January 2023 .We have cruised with P&O uk earlier this year and found the  entertainment and food choices quite poor ,I also am worried that their seems to be more quad rooms .This would also have an impact on sea days around the pool .We haven’t sailed with Princess but family members have and whilst loved them years ago say their standards have dropped ie food  quality.

We usually cruise with Celebrity and recently with Azamara and no you can’t really compare as the costs vary greatly .But could anyone who has recently cruise with either please give some feedback to enable us to choose.There are other options but they don’t fit in with our family who live in Brisbane .

if it’s a cheap and cheerful that’s ok but if it a cheap cruise due to service food and entertainment then we will have to rethink .

We cruised Australia years ago and enjoyed the mainly Australian passengers  on a RCI ship.which made for a lively and friendly holiday.

Thank you anyone who takes the time to reply .

On 10/18/2022 at 11:40 AM, madnsneaky said:

I love the Aussie P & O ships, but they are not for everyone.
Princess would be a step or three up from P & O Australia. 

A step up in most areas yes.. a step down in entertainment though. They're rather sedate in that area.

14 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

A step up in most areas yes.. a step down in entertainment though. They're rather sedate in that area.

I have to agree with you there, I loved the Love Riot show.

I was probably thinking more along the lines of food, although I am hearing that has greatly improved post Covid.

• Like 1

Margo, RCI Quantum sails from Brisbane and that would be a great option.  We have recently sailed Coral Princess and thought it was good, we would sail with them again.  We have sailed Sapphire Princess out of Southampton  and wasn’t overly impressed, so Coral did surprise us.  We are cruising on PO Encounter next week, so can’t comment on the comparison yet.   

cheers Vicki

Thanks we have been looking at that option .Just noticed that UK passengers will have tips charged but not Australian ones.

Also  I was looking at the drinks package but have read that the price doesn’t include a 18% surcharge at roughly £120 per night for two plus a service charge is quite steep we would pay the same on Cunard .

I see the Queen Mary will be in OZ it’s an option but didn’t really want to bring lots of evening wear due to weight restrictions plus the climate .

Well more research ahead .Hope you enjoy you cruises.

Hi Margo, you must be looking forward to your trip! 
January is school holiday time so prepare for the possibility of lots of children on board, this may not be an issue for you. I would suggest definitely Princess over P&O, I found the food far superior on Princess, the only extras you pay for are the specialty restaurants whilst on P&O you pay extra for room service and other food options outside of the main dining room and buffet. We recently spent 26 days on Coral Princess and can highly recommend her, loved the private Sanctuary on the rear of deck 14!
A few years ago we did a segment of a World Cruise on UK P&O, a completely difference experience to AUS P&O. Whatever you decide have a wonderful trip, it’s so great to be travelling again!

• 3 weeks later...

In both instances you get what you pay for   I love both companies but Princess has more of what I prefer including better food and dining options and nibbles between meals for free (excellent if you have kids)

If you like a cup of tea in bed each morning this is included in princess but will cost you on P&O    The entertainment is also a step up on Princess as on P&O Australia it is more likely to be very loud nd modern type music